Crazy at the Vet

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 yr old male cat who is super sweet at home but when we took him to the vet he went crazy after smelling all the other animals. Scratching and biting and running all around. The vet refused to work on him and said to give him some gabapentin next time to calm him down. So I ended having to schedule another appt after paying for this one. I wonder why they couldn't have just given my cat a shot to clam him down? I'm sure that feral cats come in that are more vicious than mine and they must calm them down to give them shots etc. Just feel that this vet got me to make 1 appt into 2.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had that happen too. Sometimes the cat (mine) is so wild they can’t get close enough to sedate and I think there is a concern about sedating if they have eaten. But once when she absolutely needed to be seen they gave her some kind of gas.

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Change VETs!!! I have a formal feral female. An Alpha female and the vets handle her. She is only social with me.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's because, with so many people who baby their pets, it's hard for a vet to do some of the "down and dirty" things that they sometimes have to do without worrying that the animal's owner might get their knickers in a twist.

Let's face it... there are just some times when you have to grab a cat and make it take its medicine, so to speak. Sometimes a cat will scream or lash out. It's not nice but it has to be done. It's like trying to make a toddler take a bath.

I don't know. Is there some way you can communicate to the vet that it's okay to, as the saying goes, "make your cat take her medicine?"

Maybe, if they know that you're not one of those people who gets upset if they hear their cat scream during a vet exam, they'll be a little more willing to do the things that need to be done.

If they don't respond, favorably, I agree. Find another vet who knows how to do what needs to be done.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote change vets and ask them to prescribe your cat a sedative for the vet visit. Hopefully a pill an hour before calms your kitty down enough for a good vet visit.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Change vets. There are some that have no dogs. Big enough that he's not crowded. One of my vets played music which one of my cats likes. I have switched 3x. It's easy to do.they transfer all the info

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo is like that. He becomes the cat from hell at the vet, and the only way they can treat him is to sedate him. Once they get that attitude at the vet's, I don't think you can change it ever, even by going to a different vet.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom’s cat changed from 👿 kitty at the vet to an 😇 kitty by being boarded at a vet for a week or two a few times. 🤷🏻‍♀️