Cracked/peeling paws and nose

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
My kitten is a male and about 5 months old. I noticed a few days ago that he had a piece of dried skin on his paw that looked like it would flake off soon. I wasn’t too worried since it was just one little spot, but then as the days went on, the skin started drying and peeling on all of his paws.

I contacted my vet and he recommended an organic paw balm. I’ve been treating his paws for the past two days and they don’t seem to be showing much improvement.

Tonight when I was applying the balm to his paws, I noticed his nose cracked a little down the middle and was slightly bleeding, so I applied the balm to his nose as well (balm was vet recommended and is safe if he licks/ingests it).

Any ideas what may be causing this? He doesn’t go outside, he’s indoor only. It’s currently summer where I live, so it’s not a cold weather issue. The only thing I can think is his sensitivity to fragrances. He's really sensitive to smells, so I’m going to go out and try a non scented litter for him tomorrow to see if that helps at all. Any other ideas? I’m a paranoid kitten mom - he’s my whole world and I feel so bad seeing his paws and nose peel. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the litter especially since he is only 5 months old. I would often see bits of litter on their curious little noses when mine were kittens. You could try a natural litter that is clumping like World's Best. Clumping clay litters really aren't the best for kittens because kittens also like to investigate with their mouths.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too would try non scented litter. Some scented litters do have a very strong and artificial smell.
Agreed. His isn’t too strong, but there’s definitely a scent. So I’ll try non scented and see if it’s better. Thank you!

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the litter especially since he is only 5 months old. I would often see bits of litter on their curious little noses when mine were kittens. You could try a natural litter that is clumping like World's Best. Clumping clay litters really aren't the best for kittens because kittens also like to investigate with their mouths.
Yes! He’s gone into my shower after I finish and gets his paws wet, then goes into his litter box and gets litter stuck on them. I clean it out, but I’m sure maybe missing a few pieces irritated his paws. I keep a close on eye him after I shower now and make sure he doesn’t go in, but it did happen once or twice. And I’ve definitely seen a piece or two on his nose now that you mention it. I’ll give alternative litter a try. Thank you!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about your floors? Do you have tile, hardwood, carpet or a combination thereof? I had this very problem with my cats and it turned out to be a reaction from the bleach our cleaning service was using to mop our kitchen and bathroom floors . They were cleaning the countertops with it too. I started providing them with Method Home cleaning products, which are plant-based and organic, and even after that having them rinse the floors and countertops after cleaning, and the problem vanished.

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about your floors? Do you have tile, hardwood or carpet . . . or a combination? I had this very problem with my cats and it turned out to be a reaction from the bleach our cleaning service was using to mop our kitchen and bathroom floors . They were cleaning the countertops with it too. I started providing them with Method Home cleaning products, which are plant-based and organic, and even after that having them rinse the floors and countertops after cleaning, and the problem vanished.
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your story, I’m glad I’m not the only one to experience this. I got him new, non scented litter today, I’m hoping that helps. As far as the floors go, I have combination of carpet and hardwood. The only thing I can think that we clean the floors with are the swiffer wet pads. Do you think that could be it??

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Swiffer might be the cause. To rule it out I would rinse the floor well after using the Swiffer. You're not using any scented vacuum powder on your carpets are you? My vet says that can cause paw pad issues in cats, too.

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Swiffer might be the cause. To rule it out I would rinse the floor well after using the Swiffer. You're not using any scented vacuum powder on your carpets are you? My vet says that can cause paw pad issues in cats, too.
I’ll try rinsing the floor - thank you! Nah, no vacuum powders, so should be good on that front. I’m hoping the non scented litter helps, and I’ll try rinsing the floor too!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to let us know how it all works. So many people come on here with issues and we offer advice and suggestions, but they never report back! Good luck. Your cat is very lucky to have you.

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure to let us know how it all works. So many people come on here with issues and we offer advice and suggestions, but they never report back! Good luck. Your cat is very lucky to have you.
Yes! I’ll definitely report back! Thank you!!

RainOnMe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
My kitten is a male and about 5 months old. I noticed a few days ago that he had a piece of dried skin on his paw that looked like it would flake off soon. I wasn’t too worried since it was just one little spot, but then as the days went on, the skin started drying and peeling on all of his paws.

I contacted my vet and he recommended an organic paw balm. I’ve been treating his paws for the past two days and they don’t seem to be showing much improvement.

Tonight when I was applying the balm to his paws, I noticed his nose cracked a little down the middle and was slightly bleeding, so I applied the balm to his nose as well (balm was vet recommended and is safe if he licks/ingests it).

Any ideas what may be causing this? He doesn’t go outside, he’s indoor only. It’s currently summer where I live, so it’s not a cold weather issue. The only thing I can think is his sensitivity to fragrances. He's really sensitive to smells, so I’m going to go out and try a non scented litter for him tomorrow to see if that helps at all. Any other ideas? I’m a paranoid kitten mom - he’s my whole world and I feel so bad seeing his paws and nose peel. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!
UPDATE: not sure if it was because of the scented litter, but his paw pads are much better now. I’m thinking he may have allergies. The “Organic Paw Balm for Dogs and Cats” that my vet recommended helped a lot. It took a few day’s though - wasn’t something that got better overnight. Tip for applying the paw balm - run a hair dryer over it for a few seconds before applying it so the balm is super easy to get out of the jar, and it can spread out over the paw much easier.