Cracked containers of Rad Cat?

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are these safe?  I bought my order without looking at every container and two of them are cracked.  Not the first time.  It's very cold here so I imagine they remained frozen in between the store's warehouse and refrigerator, at least.  Should I return them?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are cracked such that air can get in, theoretically a contaminant of some kind could have gotten in and made the food unsafe. No one can tell you if that actually happened. My guess would be that they are alright if it is just small cracks without the plastic gaping open but ... 

The safe route would be to exchange for ones with intact containers.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Return them. Wherever the cracks are originating, it needs to be tracked down and fixed. I mean, that it is happening at all needs to be known at every level, so it doesn't keep happening. If it's the store owner's fault, they need to know cracked containers will not be acceptable, so they will take better care in handling. If it is the shipping company, they need to know, and figure out who or what is causing it, , if it originates at the manufacturing plant quality control may be needed...if you see what I mean. If you don't return them, it may keep happening.

If they don't know, they can't fix it.

I special order my Rad Cat from a store about 25 miles away. With the first order I picked up, two of the lids were cracked. I refused them. It hasn't happened again.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that the containers were filled too full before freezing.

There is a lot of water in raw meats.  Whole meats don't expand much because their structure keeps them "contained".  Grind up that structure, and the food will expand with the water as it freezes.

So, yeah, either the company itself needs to be more aware of how much they are filling their containers...

Or it could still be that someone was careless with the too-full containers along the way.

Either way, like Otto says, awareness is important for everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I special order my Rad Cat from a store about 25 miles away."

Same here. I am so grateful to have this option as the prices are very reasonable(I pay $7.49 for the 16oz containers)

I will always check my order before leaving the store.  It was all in a box in the freezer so I just grabbed the box and that was that.  I'll be bringing the cracked containers with me when I pick up my new order.  I've refused/returned containers from two previous orders.  The store owners didn't seem too happy with it but they're my only option for RadCat so.. I'll just keep refusing the broken ones.  

"My guess is that the containers were filled too full before freezing.

There is a lot of water in raw meats.  Whole meats don't expand much because their structure keeps them "contained".  Grind up that structure, and the food will expand with the water as it freezes."

I believe this is what happened.  They often seem too full.  I'll be contacting the company(not my first time, they've been great to deal with) and letting them know.