Couple Problems...

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let me start by saying I love my cats, but unfortunantly Im for the first time in a situation where I cannot afford to see a vet...

Anyway... I just moved into this hole in the wall apartment that a friend owns and just recently in the past week I noticed all 3 of my cats shaking their heads and scratching and one of them had a blackish substance in her ears... so of course the first thing I suspected was ear mites. I found a place online to order Revolution 3 pack and gave it to them this past Sunday around noon...

So its been 3 days now and I still see them scratching and shaking their heads... should the Revolution have killed the mites by now or does it take longer? Should I give them another dose at some point before the 1 month is up? Im lost, confused and upset.

Also... one of my cats lately has got really bad dandruff and her hair has begun to mat in areas and has lost its shine. Been brushing her a couple time a day and started adding some olive oil to her food a few times a week hoping to clear up the problem, but wondered if there is anything else I can do to help her? I don't have the money to get good food and right now all 3 eat Meow Mix.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get Purina Cat Chow instead of Meow Mix? It only costs a tiny bit more but it's better (still low-quality but the best of the really cheap foods, IMO). And I've seen skin/coat improvements in cats who were switched from something cheap like Meow Mix or Special Kitty to Cat Chow. Cat Chow Naturals would be even better, and is usually about the same price as regular Cat Chow.

Yes, the Revolution should have taken care of any ear mites. Was it a reputable source you bought it from? Counterfeits are common, so you might have gotten a fake. If you can get some Ivomec, one drop in each ear will take care of mites fast (no more than a drop! It's easy to overdose with ivermectin). If mite treatment doesn't take care of the problem, the ear issues could be caused by a yeast problem or a food allergy. Although it would be unusual for all 3 to get the same yeast/allergy problem all at once.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will see if the local store carries the Cat Chow / Naturals thanks.

As for the Revolution being from a reputable source... I dont know to be honest. I did some research online and seems most reviews were positive. I hope I dont break any rules here, but the online store was Pet Shed. So now Im really concerned if it should have worked and isnt, was hoping someone was gonna post a reply saying "no... give it a few more days". And I agree with you on the odds of it being anything other then ear mites since all 3 are effected is pretty slim in my book.

Not sure what to do now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any store that sells Meow Mix will have Cat Chow. . .but Naturals is a bit harder to find. It's worth looking for, though. Wal-Mart usually has it.

You can get ear mite treatment at Wal-Mart or a pet store. I usually don't like OTC pesticides but the ear mite treatments seem reasonably safe and effective if used according to the directions. Don't use OTC flea spot-ons, though. I would wait a few more days to give the Revolution time to work (but it's always worked right away for me before). You can, in the meantime, put a few drops of olive oil in their ears. It soothes the itching and smothers some of the mites.

Generally speaking, if you got the Revolution from a place that didn't require a prescription, it's pretty suspect. Although a prescription isn't required in Australia so if it was an Australian store it might be good.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the store is in Australia

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After sending out some emails, a local vet came to the rescue and wants me to drop off a QTip ear swab of one of my cats in a zip-loc baggie. They told me that this place must have already been infested with the mites, but was told by owner that it hasnt been lived in for a few months and i read online that mites can only live up to 72 hours without a host and thats its not likely that they came in on a persons clothing. But that leaves me stumped... cause if any of this is true... then where did they come from? Nobody has been in here other then the owner on a couple occasions and for sure my cats have not been around any other animals.

Well I guess my main concern now is "if" this place was infested, then I should assume the place still is... then what can I use to kill off these buggers? Bug bomb? Burn the place to the ground? I have to be sure whatever it is... will work... Im not exactly filthy rich.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, from googling it just now, it doesn't appear that ear mites live anywhere but in a dog or cats ears, or maybe for a short time on their bedding!  So it would seem, if it IS ear mites, that perhaps they got them from being in contact with another cat or dog?  Is that possible?  Are they still possibly in contact with another cat or dog that might be infected? 

Anyway, depending on the final anaysis from the Q-tip swab, I would ask the Vet if there is anything you should do inside your home.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats haven't come in contact with any other animals for over 4 yrs. Have to wait until Fri to get down to the vet... but in the meantime I have ordered a 10 lb box of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and a duster bottle. Will keep the kitties in the front room and will cloud the entire back room with this stuff and let it sit for 3 days and then do the same for the front room.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, at least you won't have a flea problem
that you can get to the bottom of this.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hoping that will at least solve some of my issues... including spiders and any other creepy crawlers.

Well, at least you won't have a flea problem
that you can get to the bottom of this.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well between the vet confirming ear mites and a 2nd dose of Revolution... cats are still scratching not only their ears, but also now other places like their necks etc etc. So thats 2 doses of Revolution over 3 weeks and no joy.Anyone have suggestions? Anyone actually use Revolution and had success?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always worked for my pets :dk:. Maybe the problem is something environmental, not mites?

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you always feed Meow Mix? If not, did they have this problem on the other food as well? know that food allergies can cause scratching, coat issues, and symptoms like the ones you are seeing.....

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet down the road had me bring in an ear swab from one of my cats and did confirm ear mites under a scope.

@Willowy, couple questions...

1. Was it a bad case of ear mites?

2. How many doses of Revoltion did you give

3. If more then one dose... was it given in less time then 4 weeks?

I had read one vet saying to give 3 doses Revolution per cat, every 2 weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never had a bad case of ear mites. But if I pick up a stray with ear mites, one dose usually takes care of it. . .maybe I've just been lucky.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been reading this thread and anything I would have suggested, diet, Revolution etc. has been suggested.  You mentioned one of the cats has developed dry skin.  Is it possible the air in your apartment is extremely dry?  This can cause dry, flaky skin in animals.  Maybe humidifying the air would help.  I dunno.  Just thinking how to help.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish the air in here was dry... its actually quite the opposite. In the Ozarks here and the humidity has barely ever dropped below 45% during the winter when I had my oil radiator heater running full tilt and now that its been warming up the past few weeks and can't open a window (1 window in the little apartment and there is no screen)... the temp hasnt dropped below 76, but the humidity also has dropped below 64%

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That last line should have read "the humidity also hasn't dropped below 64%" (no edit buttons?)

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you are now feeding the better dry food as recommended. If so, changes in the skin and coat can take some time to be apparent.

You may have gotten counterfeit Revolution. I would try the Ivomec aa directed. I would not get more Revolution, from anywhere, and use it again for at least 4 weeks. I would get it from a vet, only. I'd be afraid of other sources.

Robin

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I did contact PetShed and complained about how I had given them 2 doses and nothing is helping and also confronted them about possible counterfeit and their response was that they are a distributer and could contact Pfizer in regards to it. I did send Pfizer an email but havent gotten a response yet. Oh... and PetShed sent out another 3 pack of Revolution for free saying they stand by their products.

They seem legit an sincere, but until I hear back from Pfizer... I will take whatever they say with a "grain of salt".