Counter cats!

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two super obnoxious kittens (about 9 and 10 months old) who will NOT stop jumping up on my kitchen counters! I got a squirt bottle to keep in there, but as soon as they hear me coming, they leap off the counter and run away and since you aren't supposed to punish them except when they're on the counter, that makes it very hard to work on modifying this behavior. Any suggestions on things I can do to keep them off? I understand when they jump up there to eat my food (even though I hate when they do that, at least I understand the motivation behind it), but sometimes they like to go up there just to hang out and explore.

Also, they are so bad about me leaving any food out in the kitchen that one time, they actually ripped through a sealed bag of tortilla chips and ate some of the chips!

And finally, I have one kitten who has learned to stay off of the coffee table (where most of my meal-eating takes place since I have no dining room), but the other one (Japanese bobtail mix) still likes to jump up on it, then stare at me defiantly until I grab the squirt bottle, at which point she runs away.

And it's not like I starve them, they get plenty of food!

I really want to love these kittens as much as possible and they are the sweetest, cutest things ever, but this behavior is really straining our relationship.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, I have a cat who jumps on the kitchen counter sometimes but not very often. It doesn't bother me to be honest, not in the slightest. I know some people don't like it but I always wash down the counters before I prepare food. I would suggest not leaving food out on the side which might tempt them. I don't leave food out as even if he doesn't eat it that pesky fur gets everywhere
. Many a time I have had to pick a ginger strand of fur out of my food and he is the only ginger one in our family
. I think it is important to realise that they don't mean any harm and are not trying to aggravate you even though it does. Squirting a water bottle at them isn't a good idea at all in my opinion, it won't work and will only upset them and make them scared of you, as will shouting. If I saw my cat on the work top and I didn't want him there, I would pick him up and put him on the floor gently and just say in a calm but firm voice, No. If I saw him on the surface and he jumped off I would point to the surface and say No. It sounds soft but it works for me after a while when I want to stop him doing something. Patience and staying calm is the key. They won't understand what they have done wrong if you tell them off or squirt something at them. Also, you chose to have cats and cats like to jump and climb, how about investing in a fun cat tree for them to go on instead? They would love it and might enjoy it more than your counters!
I hope this doesn't affect your relationship with your cats as there is so much more to enjoy in them! They are also still young and have all that energy and fun seeking mischief to get up to. They will calm down eventually and training them now is a great time to start. Good luck

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think most of this behavior is stemming from kitten/playful/exploration.

Do they have any cat trees/furniture to climb on?
Do you play interactively with them?
Do they have lots of toys?

Rather than creating a negative enforcement when they get up there (like using the squirt bottle), have you tried re-directing them to something that is acceptible? For example, they get on the coffee table, pick them up & move them to a cat tree to play on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are all great suggestions, thanks! I know I need to relax about it a little but I feel like if they think that sometimes it's ok to get on the counters, they'll think it's always ok to get on the counters. I just miss the days when I only had my 15 year old cat and she only got on the counter when I was preparing my food and I'd clap my hand at her and she'd jump off. What a great cat she is! I've already sworn never to get a cat younger than 5 years again, I may up the age too!

We need to get them a cat tree, we have one in my cart on amazon.com, it's just a matter of having the money budgeted for it before we can get it, it's a good one too! The problem with having too many cat toys around is that I have dogs and they like to eat the cat toys, which is no good because then they choke on them and get them caught in their intestines, etc. I tried interactive toys for them but they destroy them in a matter of seconds.

I know this is mostly just kitten energy, but dangit, we got the second kitten to wear the first kitten out!

I've gotten it to the point that no food is left out in the kitchen ever except for right after I've cooked dinner and I sit down to eat it. That's usually when the little buggers go jumping on the counters and eat the food I've just made. I usually try to cover it all but they jump up there anyway and sniff around.

I guess the main thing that set off my anger towards them jumping on the counter was when we first moved into our new house and had some dishes in the drying wrack on the counter with a towel under it. One of them jumped up to get on the counter, realized the space was too small, grabbed the towel and dragged it down with her, sending all of the dishes shattering to the floor. That's when I decided no more kittens on the counters!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm probably the odd woman out here, but I do NOT like my cat to be on the kitchen counter, table, refrigerator, or stove. That drives me crazy!! Does she do it? Yes, but not all the time. We have trained her to stay off the counter (most of the time anyway) by doing the following.

1. Save all the Coke cans (or whatever soda you drink) you can. Rinse them out well and allow them to dry.
2. Put some pinto beans in them.
3. Tape the top shut with a piece of duct tape.
4. Line the counter with the cans, not right ON the edge of the counter, but back about 1/2" or so.
5. When the kitties jump up there, they'll hopefully knock over the cans which will rattle and scare them.

It's not attractive, but they're easily stored if you have company or guests over.

You can also keep a can in different places in your house where you sit. When you see them jumping on the counter, sternly say "NO!" (don't yell like a banshee, just use a firm voice). Shake the can to get their attention and startle them. You might have to remove them from the counter, but again, gently pick them up, and place them on the floor. Sternly tell them "NO!" and/or hiss at them. A mom cat hisses to let them know a behavior is unacceptable.

You can also get some plastic carpet runner from the home improvement store (Home Depot or Lowe's, etc). It has little plastic nubs on the bottom. Cut the plastic stuff to fit your counter. Place it on the counter with the nubs UP (flat side down). When the kitty jumps up on the nubs, it'll be uncomfortable for the kitty, but won't hurt them. They won't want to be up on the uncomfortable nubs, unless you have a hard-headed cat like I do!

Hope these ideas help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swoshum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you so much! Those are both fantastic suggestions! I'm gonna start saving my cans!

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of training my new kitten the same thing. I've had her a month.

I've found that mac tac (or any kind of a sticky tape) is a good dissuasion. However, my dilemma is that she jumps from the table chair to the counter, and therefore she can see where she is jumping. The cans sound like a good idea, but only if she was jumping from the floor where she can't see them, right...? It's the surprise factor that makes it work.

As for the mac tac, it's dissuading the act, but not the urge. She sits there on the chair, on her haunches, debating if the stickiness is worth the reward. I'm planning on keeping it up at least another month... I'm wondering if the second its taken off, she'll be back jumping....

Someone please tell me with enough "No's" + redirectioning, that a cat will finally get the message.... pleeeease!!

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One question --

If I allow Sophie on the kitchen table when I'm using it for work, and send her off it when its used for food, will that confuse her?

I've been sending her off so many times tonight, while I've been working on my computer, and she got up again, and just sort of laid there next to me. I really don't mind that... but if its going to confuse her, I sure don't want her thinking I'm gonna let her up here when I'm eating.....

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are free to go on the counters, except when I'm preparing food. I just wipe them down before use.

All I did when they were kittens was say NO firmly and put them on the ground, they soon learnt when I'm working at the counter to stay away.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My solution, and it works is the Scattttt aerosol spray. It has an electronic eye and when it senses movement it emmits a harmless spray of air that will startle the cat. I find that foil, water spray etc does not work. They will associate the spray with you. So if you are not around, its a free for all!

I love my cats more than just about anything else in the world, but I will not have them with their little litter feet on my cupboard. I am just funny that way!
Your cats need to say to themselves when caught by this spray, "oh, man what was that!" The first time mine were caught, they flew off the surface and never attempted it again. Its nice too because once one area is solved, move it to another area in your home where they are not allowed.

You can spend alot of time saving cans etc, but IMO it is a reliable and quick fix to a nasty problem. It is harmless, and I have set it off myself a few times. Boy, did I jump! It is available at many pet stores. It is not cheap, about 30.00. But as I said, if you want your cats off your counter, it is very much worth the price. And it will end the war between you and your furkids!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tico~Consistency is the key, so if you don't want Sophie on the table while eating, don't allow her on the table when you're working. Maybe you can let her lay on one of the chairs by you and that can be "her" spot.

I've also used empty milk jugs to line the counter just so that Hannah doesn't get any ideas to jump. They're not filled with anything, but it also doesn't give her a landing spot.