Could Use Some Advice

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I’m fairly new to the cat world, have always been a dog person. But...I took a stray cat in a couple years ago and we’ve lived happily ever after, and now have a love for cats. Recently there has been a tiny little cat hanging around outside; I think it's an adult, but very petite. It appeared very lethargic and skinny. I’ve started feeding it, trying to gain its trust, with the hope of eventually catching, vetting, and adopting it out. I will attach pics for reference. It won’t let me get near, but I can tell it’s beginning to trust me and doesn’t run as far when it sees me.

This morning it came up to the window where my cat was laying and started pawing at the window. I don’t know cat behavior, yet. Is this just curiosity, or is it aggression, or is it territorial behavior? My cat appeared avoidant at first, but then began growling and hissing. My priority is my cat; I do not want him feeling threatened in his own home. Are you able to decipher body language? Video attached at the end. At first my cat was avoidant, but then my cat began growling and hissing. Any advice? Any idea how to capture this baby and get him/her vetted? It has put on weight with the feedings and the only time I see third eyelids are when it is eating. Anything I need to be aware of as far as tracking any communicable diseases inside on my feet after sitting with the kitty outside? As you can see, I have ZERO knowledge in this area.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason I can't get the video to play. I haven't used Google Drive before. Will cut and paste link here:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although I don't know the answer to your question exactly, my first cat used to paw the window exactly this way from inside when neighborhood strays would hang out outside our window.

At the time, I interpreted it as interest in interacting with the cats, but I think in retrospect she might have been trying to scare them away. The one time she met other cats, she was scared and hostile, and she did occasionally pee in inappropriate places near the window, so maybe she felt threatened by them.

I'm interested in any insights others might have to share on this....

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess would be curiosity or “hey, could you let me in”. If you have a room where you could isolate this newcomer, you might consider setting a trap for him or her. There may a local rescue group that can lend you one and help you set it up.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although I don't know the answer to your question exactly, my first cat used to paw the window exactly this way from inside when neighborhood strays would hang out outside our window.

At the time, I interpreted it as interest in interacting with the cats, but I think in retrospect she might have been trying to scare them away. The one time she met other cats, she was scared and hostile, and she did occasionally pee in inappropriate places near the window, so maybe she felt threatened by them.

I'm interested in any insights others might have to share on this....
Agreed - at first it did appear friendly, until the outside kitty's tail did the arch and then point downward (kind of like they do when they arch the back?) - then my boy started growling. Now it is afternoon, and my boy appears to go check on outside kitty, but won't make eye contact. When outside kitty looks up at him, my boy turns his head to the side in an exaggerated fashion. It's quite fascinating. As long as my guy doesn't appear threatened or scared (he's a fearful fellow), I'm fine with them getting acquainted through the window for now til I can earn some trust.

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My guess would be curiosity or “hey, could you let me in”. If you have a room where you could isolate this newcomer, you might consider setting a trap for him or her. There may a local rescue group that can lend you one and help you set it up.
I sent an email to a local rescue asking how to trap. I would want to get this little one tested for diseases before bringing him indoors at all. And treated for fleas. I will be interested to watch the interaction unfold between my guy and this little one. Mine was declawed in the past (not by me) which is why I took him in; I felt awful for this stray with no claws. If there was ever a fight between these two, mine would be a disadvantage. I have a feeling that little one is an alpha. It's scrappy and has scars, so it's apparently been on the streets for a while and doesn't seem afraid of my guy who is 3x his size. So I was very interested to know if anyone could discern body language between these two. Will await response from rescue. In the meantime, thank you guys for responding, I really appreciate it. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The stray in video looks more curious than aggressive, to me anyway. Your cat turning away his head is actually a very good sign - eye contact is an aggressive act, and so a cat with a relaxed face, slowly blinking eyes and then turning away and not looking is telling the stray “I am not a threat, and I won’t attack. I am neutral”.

As for if they will get along, it’s hard to say. We had two cats, and the first time they met Olive she was outside the window acting aggressive and attacked he window. She event threw in growls and an impressive panther scream. When we finally introduced her to the other two after taking her in, she was sweet as can be and just wanted to be friends. Our resident cat Gohan was a problem child and chased her all the time. Our boy Trin was grumpy with her at first but they eventually seemed to get along.

Also, how they act now may not be how they act later - each new territory the game resets for how it will go, so bringing the scrappy new cat in to the house may cause your cat to be territorial, or he could be absolutely fine. Before they meet definitely read up on proper cat introductions as this can be key. Also have the new cat checked by a vet for Any diseases to keep your cat safe. To my knowledge the only thing you could bring in on you would be fleas.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The stray in video looks more curious than aggressive, to me anyway. Your cat turning away his head is actually a very good sign - eye contact is an aggressive act, and so a cat with a relaxed face, slowly blinking eyes and then turning away and not looking is telling the stray “I am not a threat, and I won’t attack. I am neutral”.

As for if they will get along, it’s hard to say. We had two cats, and the first time they met Olive she was outside the window acting aggressive and attacked he window. She event threw in growls and an impressive panther scream. When we finally introduced her to the other two after taking her in, she was sweet as can be and just wanted to be friends. Our resident cat Gohan was a problem child and chased her all the time. Our boy Trin was grumpy with her at first but they eventually seemed to get along.

Also, how they act now may not be how they act later - each new territory the game resets for how it will go, so bringing the scrappy new cat in to the house may cause your cat to be territorial, or he could be absolutely fine. Before they meet definitely read up on proper cat introductions as this can be key. Also have the new cat checked by a vet for Any diseases to keep your cat safe. To my knowledge the only thing you could bring in on you would be fleas.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Karencat - thanks so much for the insight and info! In observing this kitty for the last week, I'm beginning to think he/she may be feral, and not a stray? There are several feral cats around the neighborhood who live in the drainage systems, and I wonder if he/she might be one of them. He will not allow me to get within arms reach, but he has on two occasions given a tiny meow when I've brought food. Watching my timid boy become fearful of every noise and shadow and hiding under beds since this one has showed up makes me now question whether I could ever introduce another cat in this household.

I haven't heard back from the rescue yet (I know they are so overwhelmed and overworked), so I'll continue to feed this kitty. Currently researching flea treatments that I can add to his food. Fortunately I have a doggy door into my garage that he's learned to use, so he has shelter when needed. I just need to educate myself on potential viruses or parasites that I could unwittingly track into my house - I'm absolutely ignorant of cats and risks. I have a lot of reading to do!