Could this litter have all the same father, or would it have to be multiple fathers?

maryinboise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am caring for a litter of kittens that a stray cat gave birth to under the porch.  The Mama is a tortie.  There were four kittens, but one was still born.  One of the kittens, and the stillborn one are both torties (female of course), the only male in the litter is a mackerel orange tabby, and the other female is gray, although if you look at her in the right kind of light, you can see she also has "shadow" stripes.

All the cats/kittens I've ever had have all been spayed/neutered so I've never actually cared for a litter of kittens before.  I tried to find some information on cat coat color genetics, but it just made my head spin.  I've read that females can become pregnant by more than one male, so I'm wondering if that might be the case here.  If it IS possible that all these kittens could have the same father, what color possibilities would there be for the male cat to produce a litter with this variety of coat colors?

(I will also add that the sole male in the litter, the orange tabby is much longer and lankier than his siblings.)

(Also, in case anyone is concerned, I have the three babies, and the mama, who is semi-wild set up with an appointment for low cost spay/neuter and shots before I work on finding the babies homes.  I am absolutely against letting a cat have a litter just so she can have a litter.  The mama was pregnant when she showed up on my doorstep.)

Here are photos, so you can get a better idea of their coat colors.

We named the orange tabby Jupiter.  This photo gives you an idea of how long he is!  He's less than 4 months old.

This is Luna, the torte female.  She looks a lot like her Mama.  

This is Ash, the other female.

And, I'm including this one of Ash and Jupiter because here, you can sort of see Ash's "shadow stripes".  (I'm not sure how else to describe it.  She looks solid gray but in some light, you can see there's a tabby hiding under there!)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solid kittens almost always have ghost tabby markings that fade as they grow. If the mother carries dilute and the father is either dilute (blue) or carries (red carrying dilute) that's how the blue kitten happened, so they could all have the same father.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryinboise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you mean by the term "dilute" here.  (Like I said, I'm clueless about this stuff...)  Does that mean that the father could be an orange cat like Jupiter, and carry a gene for Ash's color?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jupiter is red. Ash is blue.

Each 'main' cat colour has a dilute, a gene that alters the colour.

black/seal/tawny - blue

chocolate - lilac

cinnamon - fawn

red - cream

The tortie kitten is a black tortie. The dilute of black is blue. Dilutes are produced from either 2 dilute parents, 1 dilute x 1 carrier, or 2 carriers. Since we know the mum is not a dilute, as she is black tortie, then she has to carry dilute to produce a blue kitten.

The father is either a dilute - blue cat, or carrying. Could be a red cat carrying dilute.