Could this kitten have some recent Siamese/Balinese/Ragdoll ancestry

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted Sherlock from a local shelter a couple weeks ago - they had him listed as a Siamese mix which seems unlikely based on his fur/tail fluff alone. His adoption paperwork says he came from a hoarding situation but that could mean anything from someone with 50 cats to a Backyard breeder with too many animals.

he’s the absolute sweetest -loves to be carried around, will stop around on you for attention, purrs when you look at him, loves the other cat, and - perhaps the strangest thing - is obsessed with water.

so like I said - is it likely he has any recent Siamese/Balinese/ragdoll ancestry or is he just my adorable weird little mutt cat?
5140CD2E-E994-4185-9555-387AAB2A81EF.jpeg
EEFCAF0A-2923-43CE-8AFB-FAA951A78E91.jpeg
AC4D33E8-5BAD-4C06-9907-414D2CBD6052.jpeg
8399A41F-0CD9-4326-AF4A-D36D93DF73D9.jpeg

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be interested too to see what he could be possibly be mixed with..interesting head profile and a tail that would put a fox to shame. A real feather duster..lol
Beautiful cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He would just be a domestic long hair due to the fluffy tail. The experts will be along with proper name for his coloring. I am never positive on the pointed cats. He is GORGEOUS though!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful, and has such a soulful expression! I would describe him as a bluepoint domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed. His ears and head length might suggest some Siamese / Balinese / Oriental breed ancestry, although he doesn't have the finer boning and straight profile typical of those breeds. He definitely doesn't look anything like a Ragdoll, as those cats have a shorter and rounder face and body, smaller ears, and fluffier coat. In any case, domestic longhairs are great cats in their own right, and he sounds like a wonderful guy! :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful, and has such a soulful expression! I would describe him as a bluepoint domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed. His ears and head length might suggest some Siamese / Balinese / Oriental breed ancestry, although he doesn't have the finer boning and straight profile typical of those breeds. He definitely doesn't look anything like a Ragdoll, as those cats have a shorter and rounder face and body, smaller ears, and fluffier coat. In any case, domestic longhairs are great cats in their own right, and he sounds like a wonderful guy! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icanhascat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What's the difference between a lilac and blue point? Shelter told us he was lilac point but he doesn't seem white enough - although his pawpads are pink.

Second stupid questions - are all kitties with floofy tails automatically longhair? He's 9 months and he's still not super fluffy. Although now I think about it my mom's longhaired kitty didn't really floof out until she was closer to 3

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilac point is a lighter color than he is. Blue and blue point cats can have pinkish paw pads, especially when they are young. Pointed cats also tend to darken with age.

Yes, all floofy tailed cats are longhairs. Not all longhairs are super fluffy, though... He might eventually become very fluffy all over, or he might not. You'll just have to wait and see. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, domestic. Very nice, and apparently a super behavior. A high win in the lottery of life for both of you!
If you really need to compare him to some established breed so probably balinese, ie longhaired siamese.