Could This Be Ibs?

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have an 11 year old cat. Her nickname is Poopster as she always had big poop. Well starting last year she had an issue with her anus. It would get swollen and it would have a bit of mucus/blood coming from it. The vet took a biopsy and said it was proctitis (basically inflamed cells). It went away but she still get is every once in a while. She also has had an issue with her poop. She will have normal poop and then all of a sudden will have soft poop that does have some mucus in it. Just wondering if these are signs of irritable bowel syndrome. Or if anyone else had had this issue. As a little background, my cat did test positive in the Elisa test for FELV but she has not tested positive with the IFA test. Other than this issue she seems healthy and has actually gained some weight recently.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old man Oscar had IBD and it was such a pain getting that under control. I would highly suggest introducing can food and if possible, no dry food at all (though again, doing a transition). Unfortunately, Oscar refused to eat any wet food (he was 16 at the time) so we found him a dry food that was easy to digest and that seemed to help quite a bit. It's not an easy thing to control or get the hang of, but the link Furballsmom provided should be of great help to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I had been feeding her canned food only (Instinct Pride) when she started with the original symptoms. However, she went through a period of I don't want to eat what you are feeding me. So I tried a variety of other canned foods and she would not eat these either. So I finally gave in and bought some dry food (Dr. Elsey's) and she ate it. Since I have been feeding her this, she has gained over a lb which she needed as she was thin and she looks really good now. I would be feeding her a raw diet if I could get her to eat it but she just won't touch it and she is that way about most canned food also. My other cat would eat almost anything! I have negative feelings about most commercial cat food and think cats have lots of problems because of the food. I would feed her homemade if she would eat it.