Could this be an antibiotic reaction or something worse

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As those of you who read my earlier posts know, my cat, Trixie, just finished a course of trimethropim for a presumed UTI. She has been acting a bit strangely, which made me wonder if it could be an antibiotic reaction or something neurological (reduction in sight/hearing, or something neurological like the beginnings of cognitive dysfunction, or type of seizure). Instead of spending most of her day laying on her bed, she has been spending a lot of time circling the garage and pacing, like she's super restless. She also took off down the street on me (one time) and on my parents (another time) when normally she stays pretty close to home. She was not a big fan of the antibiotic, so maybe she is just scared I'm going to give it to her again (she finished it this morning), but did not act that way with the amoxicillin. She has a recheck appointment this weekend, and would appreciate any thoughts on what questions to ask, and if I need to call the vet's office for advice.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That could very well be a side effect of the medication. I would call an emergency vet office tonight or your regular vet tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is she on any other medications? There could be some sort of side effect either to the antibiotic itself or due to a reaction when used with meds. You could also ask the vet if it has anything to do with Trixie being on multiple different antibiotics in recent months - perhaps her stomach is a bit messed up from them? I realize her behavior doesn't necessarily tie to an upset stomach, but it is worth asking about. And, from what I remember from your previous post - the next time (god forbid) she gets another UTI, get the urine culture done. It is very possible none of the antibiotics she has been on are effective for her particular UTI.

When did she last have a full senior check up (including CBC, Chemistry Profile, thyroid)? If not recent, you might consider making an appt. for that, just in case something else is going on.

Hopefully, though, by the time of her follow-up appt. this new behavior will be gone and you can just consider this antibiotic a 'no-no' for future use.