Could These Be Hermaphrodite Cats?

Jamly2003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was feeding a stray who ended up being pregnant. She had 6 of the cutest kittens you could ever imagine, inside of my screened in front porch. She abandoned them when they were not quite 2 weeks old which led to me bottle feeding 6 kittens, around the clock. 🙄🙄
Ended up getting too attached and kept.....🫣🫣 FOUR of them. They are about 6 months old now and I thought I had 2 boys and 2 girls (a woman from a rescue I was able to contact, came over to show me how to properly care for them, and told me her best guess on the sex of each.)
I thought for sure she was right......until I saw the pointy little pink thing come out of one of the 'females'. So I then assumed I had 3 boys and 1 girl. Until.....I saw THE SAME EXACT thing with the other 'female'.
What are the odds of 2 hermaphrodites being born in 1litter?
The 2 that she said we're boys, have distinctive balls at this point, and the 2 that were/are female do not.
I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet will let you know when you get them neutered.Unless you want to post some pictures.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If there are hermafrodites among the cats, I dont dare to say anything.

But I know its sometimes difficult to tell their exact gender. I know examples of experienced breeders and even vets whot took wrong... That is why I never participate in the threads; which gender am I??

Why, it befell even my own grandchild they got to change first name from Alef to Alfa just days before the kitten was placed home with its buyer...
And as I understand this, one of HER kittens had a similiar mix up...

But none others in this lineage or in lineage of this our resident. All males are handsome males, and all girls become beautiful females.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No mammals are hermaphrodites, not any species. They sound like little tomcats.
I don't believe this is a true statement. There have been documented cases of dogs and cats having both male and female sex organs, although it is extremely rare. And what about humans? There are definitely humans with this condition. My hubby is a nurse and has had first hand experience with this.

I often think one of my guys is a hermaphrodite. He does not look at all like a male...tiny head, only weighs 9 pounds, tiny voice, and my other male is always trying to mount him!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, there are disorders of sexual development, but hermaphrodite has a specific meaning, which is fully functional reproductive organs of both sexes. That does not occur in mammals.