Could there be some NFC or Maine Coon in there?

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Karlach.
Karlach is 6 months old and weighs 4.3kg (!!!!). She's a rescue and when we got her, they thought she was male as she was so much bigger than all the other females they rescued.
She's very active, very happy and bouncy and while she's a little padded around the midrift, I can feel her ribs still, and she has endless energy.

She eats the same as my other two very normal sized (4kg 7 year-old female and 4.8kg 4 year old male)

I'm starting to wonder if this HEFT might be due to a bit of big cat mixed in there? Both nfc and maine coon are quite common in my country (Norway).
I feel like she has the squared face of a maine coon, but her head is smaller than I'd expect.
Very tufted paws, fluffy inner ears, big fox tail.

Thoughts? Is there some big cat in there or is she just a VERY big boned standard domestic medium haired who might need a bit less of the kitten food?
20240112_205630.jpg
20240113_015313.jpg

Last edited:

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Karlach.
Karlach is 6 months old and weighs 4.3kg (!!!!). She's a rescue and when we got her, they thought she was male as she was so much bigger than all the other females they rescued.
She's very active, very happy and bouncy and while she's a little padded around the midrift, I can feel her ribs still, and she has endless energy.

She eats the same as my other two very normal sized (4kg 7 year-old female and 4.8kg 4 year old male)

I'm starting to wonder if this HEFT might be due to a bit of big cat mixed in there? Both nfc and maine coon are quite common in my country (Norway).
I feel like she has the squared face of a maine coon, but her head is smaller than I'd expect.

Thoughts? Is there some big cat in there or is she just a VERY big boned standard domestic medium haired who might need a bit less of the kitten food? View attachment 467845View attachment 467844
She is just beyond beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with your analysis. MAY have some big boned ancestor, probably has - females tends to be smaller.
So a big female has almost surely a big boned Ancestor.
but no clearcut likeliness... So for all practical needs, she is a big boned, pretty domestic. :)

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if you're in norway odds are she has some wedgy genetics. norwegian forest cats would be the majority of the moggy of your country I would think.

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Karlach.

Thoughts? Is there some big cat in there or is she just a VERY big boned standard domestic medium haired who might need a bit less of the kitten food? View attachment 467845View attachment 467844
Definitely has the features of a maine coon; the long tail, size and a little definition to the muzzle too.
But a maine coon is a pedigree cat and most if not all pedigrees once derived from domestic cats. They're just selectively bred through generations to resemble a certain breed standard.. this is why there is a difference between the maine coons of today and those from say 20 years ago; coz there has been that much time to get the breed as close to "perfect" as possible.

Anyway, there's no sure way of knowing if he has maine coon in him as all domestic cats share the same DNA however he is a stunning boy with an obviously wonderful temperament as you say so just enjoy him haha