Could someone help me compare ?

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 5 cats all eating and doing great on wellness core dry and wellness grain free canned for many years....However 1 cat about 2 weeks ago slowed down on eating the canned...and another slowed down eating the dry...I just gave more dry and more canned to either cat...I talked to a vet tech she has suggested they might just be tired of the food..I called because they both are acting fine..they are not due for their check ups yet but if they showed any other signs I'd take them in.. with xmas fast approaching I am going to wait til after if needed....So I've been thinking maybe I will change food...I'd like to stick with grain free only because they are doing so well on it....The one I am leaning to is "Now" on there website I see they have a senior cat food...mine are all over 7 except one...anyways...I am here to ask for someone with a better eye than me to help me compare the wellness core to this senior now food....
Wellness Core :
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

Now Senior food :
De-boned turkey, potato flour, pea, pea fibre, whole dried egg, potato, tomato, flaxseed, apple, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), sun-dried alfalfa, salmon, de-boned duck, natural flavor, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), lecithin, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dicalcium phosphate, sundried alfalfa, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, Vitamins: (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), Minerals: (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), dried kelp, L-lysine, chicory root extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, yucca schidigera extract, yeast extract, L-Carnitine, garlic powder, marigold extract, dried rosemary

Thanks for the input.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Wellness CORE is much better because it has much more meat. If they are sick of it maybe try either Orijen or Innova EVO.

What wet food are you feeding? I assume its also CORE?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I have 5 cats all eating and doing great on wellness core dry and wellness grain free canned for many years....However 1 cat about 2 weeks ago slowed down on eating the canned...and another slowed down eating the dry...I just gave more dry and more canned to either cat...I talked to a vet tech she has suggested they might just be tired of the food..I called because they both are acting fine..they are not due for their check ups yet but if they showed any other signs I'd take them in.. with xmas fast approaching I am going to wait til after if needed....So I've been thinking maybe I will change food...I'd like to stick with grain free only because they are doing so well on it....The one I am leaning to is "Now" on there website I see they have a senior cat food...mine are all over 7 except one...anyways...I am here to ask for someone with a better eye than me to help me compare the wellness core to this senior now food....
Wellness Core :
Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries not a bad thing just not real usable to kitty in this form, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseedanother wrong form, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

Now Senior food :
De-boned turkeyBUT realize that this should be around potato or tomato after cooking, potato flour, pea, pea fibrePotato as a REAL first ingrediant YUK there are many seniors with chicken meal or another named meat meal first , whole dried egg, potato, tomato, flaxseed, apple, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), sun-dried alfalfa, salmon, de-boned duck, natural flavor, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), lecithinthe oil used to be a no for me but further research yielded MANY benefits and now I would like to see this one more often, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sproutsDo these NEED to be in a food... , dicalcium phosphate, sundried alfalfa, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, Vitamins: (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, niacin, inositol, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), Minerals: (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), dried kelp, L-lysine, chicory root extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, yucca schidigera extract, yeast extract, L-Carnitine, garlic powder, marigold extract, dried rosemary

Thanks for the input.
IMHO senior should only apply to dry food... Also through research and discussions with vets NO cat should be on grain free dry past age 7 or 8 ...

Normally Senior DRY formulas contain less protein and fat than adult or kitten ... In a DRY this makes it easier to digest which for an older cat is VERY important...Some add in joint and organ supports to a senior formula...

Wet food :I have only found one brand to make any REAL big difference between adult and senior. Most brands just add additional things like joint support but the Macro nutrients are the same as adult...

Just to compare I have color coded the two food s pasted above

Overall I would pick Neither for a dry food and a cat passed 7-8 years old... Both are solid foods but ...

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

IMHO senior should only apply to dry food... Also through research and discussions with vets NO cat should be on grain free dry past age 7 or 8 ...
I'm just curious what's the reasoning behind no grain free dry past 7 or 8 years old? ... Is dry with grains ok past this age? I know wet is best, but would grain free wet be ok as well or should stick with a grain wet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fisheater

I'm just curious what's the reasoning behind no grain free dry past 7 or 8 years old? ... Is dry with grains ok past this age? I know wet is best, but would grain free wet be ok as well or should stick with a grain wet?
the HIGH protein levels make a Grain free dry less Digestible as a cat ages... Also the Higher mineral levels leave a cat far more prone to uti issues which can seem to show up out of nowhere in an older cat .

Grain containing drys are okay but IMHO NO cat should eat dry past age 10.. the grains are usually semi processed and thus easier to digest to the older cat ( YES cats DO digest grains , in some cases nearly = to meat... do they have a biological need for grains NO )

grain free wets IMHO are far better for all cats than the grain containing ones.... do to moisture levels the protein is far far more digestible than a dry of any kind.... I use 90 % no grain wet s ... I have two who like a few wets with grain

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sharky! I will keep this in mind when my kitty gets older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that feeding 100% wet would be ideal....but with 5 cats and me wanting to feed the the best I can buy gets alittle pricey....However I would say they are eating 50/60% wet...I went out and got some sample dry foods....one was the senior dry I already talked about and another was just an adult

Trout Meal, Freshwater Trout, Natural Fish Flavour, Herring Meal, Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols [Vit. E]), Salmon Oil, Pumpkin, Apples, Carrots, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Lentil Beans, Broccoli, Spinach, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract,dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamins - (Vit. E supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate(source of Vitamin C), niacin, inositol, Vit. A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, Vit. D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, Vit. B12 supplement), Minerals - (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Rosemary

I have one cat who is 14...three who are 8 and one more who is alittle over 1...would be nice to find something they can all eat.... but thanks for the info so far......maybe changing to a cheaper canned for the all might be another way to go

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

I agree that feeding 100% wet would be ideal....but with 5 cats and me wanting to feed the the best I can buy gets alittle pricey....However I would say they are eating 50/60% wet...I went out and got some sample dry foods....one was the senior dry I already talked about and another was just an adult

Trout Meal, Freshwater Trout , Natural Fish Flavour, Herring Meal, Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols [Vit. E]), Salmon Oil, Pumpkin, Apples, Carrots, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Lentil Beans, Broccoli, Spinach, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract,dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamins - (Vit. E supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate(source of Vitamin C), niacin, inositol, Vit. A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, beta-carotene, Vit. D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, Vit. B12 supplement), Minerals - (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Rosemary

I have one cat who is 14...three who are 8 and one more who is alittle over 1...would be nice to find something they can all eat.... but thanks for the info so far......maybe changing to a cheaper canned for the all might be another way to go
Realize decent wet can be gotten at all price points... I would spend the same on wet/ dry as I would all wet ( has by products but no grain or veggies)

Check protein levels in dry ... 32% would work for the young one and be suitable for the older ones
IMHO decent but I shy away from fish and fish meals due to processing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks for the help....I'll check around for canned that is acceptable for all my cats...