Could She Be A Bengal?

Sparkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
We recently had a stray come to our home and has made it her home.
I have experience with a lot of different cat's and she is a very unusual cat to me.
So I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help me with identifying what she might be.
Her coat looks a lot like a Sokoke, but her coat is so soft and so shiny (shimmers) its like velvet.
Her ears look a lot like a Savannah but without the stripes on them. Her ears are so odd they actually fold in like they are double jointed. Its hard to explain but they make a V shape and lay flat on her head like the tips point in towards her head and they are completely flat.
She is lanky and eats a lot but has a lean muscular body and long legs. I call her spider legs cause she can make really long steeps and is very agile. Her hips are higher than her shoulders and when she sits her ears and head point forward. The word egyptian comes to mind when I think of how cats are depicted. She has black pads on all her feet and some areas that look like spots blended into each other. When she meows it's not soft but she is more forceful like a siamese. And she talks to me vocally she is very unique. Sometimes she eats and talks at the same time. And she is very active. Her eyes are large and round with the hood on top making those large eyes look a bit flat on top. That's about all I can think of does anyone have any ideas for me? She is not large she is medium.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pictures would help! Do you need help posting pictures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sparkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try and get a good one. I would like to catch her with her ears flat. She is a silver tabby.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Don’t worry about trying to find the perfect picture. Please feel free to post as many as you want. The more pictures from different angles, the easier it will be to identify her color, pattern, and possible breed ancestry. Besides, it’s always fun to look at photos of cute kitties!

Sparkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry about trying to find the perfect picture. Please feel free to post as many as you want. The more pictures from different angles, the easier it will be to identify her color, pattern, and possible breed ancestry. Besides, it’s always fun to look at photos of cute kitties!
There are some I have added our blue cat and a baby pic. She had babies also. The little black baby looks so different I had to add him too. Sorry for the duplicates Im new at this.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a lovely girl. I would describe her as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. I'm not seeing strong indications of Bengal ancestry. Domestic cats can vary in size, body build, head structure, coat texture, behavioral traits, etc., and this doesn't necessarily indicate specific breed ancestry. There is a lot of genetic diversity in the domestic cat gene pool.

Spots on the belly, by the way, are a normal part of the classic tabby pattern and don't indicate Bengal ancestry.

Sparkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a lovely girl. I would describe her as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. I'm not seeing strong indications of Bengal ancestry. Domestic cats can vary in size, body build, head structure, coat texture, behavioral traits, etc., and this doesn't necessarily indicate specific breed ancestry. There is a lot of genetic diversity in the domestic cat gene pool.

Spots on the belly, by the way, are a normal part of the classic tabby pattern and don't indicate Bengal ancestry.
Thanks for the info. Her classic tabby markings are very classic however, I wasn't sure which color if brown, silver or? Her shimmer is also quite different from most short hairs as well as her ears. Thanks for the feedback. What type of cat is on your avatar? Did you see the pic. of my Blue boy? I think he is a Russian blue mix. He has the eyes and the silver sheen? But not really sure about him either. What do you think? He is our baby.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call her a brown classic tabby. She doesn't look like a silver tabby to me.

Your blue boy appears to be a handsome blue and white domestic shorthair. The genes that produce the blue color are widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, so the color doesn't really indicate any specific breed ancestry. Some blue cats are lighter with a silvery effect, some darker in color.

The cat in my avatar is a young female Chartreux.

Amay725

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Wolfie has everything your describing about the fur and to the eyes and ears. I wish I could capture a pic of him walking around because his hips are also higher than his shoulders. He is long and lanky but hes a big muscle. Hes fairly independent but likes attention but only on his time and does not like to be held. He is very vocal and he can turn some doorknobs so we call him "Thumbs". He seems smarter than my other 3 but hes beautiful and can be so sweet. Im not sure exactly what type of cat he is because I found him alone as a kitten so I guess he's just a tabby cat‍♂Ill be following the thread to see if I can learn any more about these mysterious tabbies.
20180906_094817.jpg
20180417_161943.jpg
FB_IMG_1536241874188.jpg

Attachments

Sparkey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Amay, You have an awesome cat!! He has almost the same head and facial expressions as my cat. Here is some information that I have found out so far about Bengals and identifying them. I found this article and want to share some of the key points of the article.
The other clue I have that she might be a Bengal mix is because there is a male Bengal with papers that lives a few blocks from us and we seen him out running around the neighborhood a few weeks after our kitty showed up at the door. We looked for her owner but no one ever claimed her. ??

(My kitty is a tabby)
Since Bengals are classified as a tabby their bellies must always be spotted. Of course not all Tabbies are Bengals.
(My kitty seems to have "glitter")
A very unique trait known as “glitter” does not occur in all Bengals, and is not given preference for show.
(My kitty definitely has the unusual vocal characteristics spoken about here she can almost speak words..
Bengals can make amazing sounds. Their vocal range is very wide, generally exceeding that of the basic cat population. Bengal voices are made up of the standard “meow,” accompanied by any or all of the following sounds:
Chirps
Buzzes
Yowls
Growls
Blurps
Or any combination of the aforementioned sounds.
Bengals have unique conversational tones for other cats, other Bengals, and their humans. Owners have learned to differentiate between sounds for “Feed me,” “Pet me,” “You called me,” and “Turn on the faucet. I want a drink.” Bengals can be extremely vocal and talkative, or may only talk when they have a need for their human to provide them with something.
The cat in question is often best judged in person, when you can really see the whole cat, watch it move, listen to its voice and interact with it.
Photos are very often hard to help someone determine if a cat is a poor quality Bengal, or a possible mix. Mixes are the most difficult to identify, and other than knowing for a fact at least one parent was Bengal, we can never say for sure if your cat is a Bengal or a cross. Without papers there are only educated guesses via experience with the breed.