Could Royal Canin Fiber Response cause increased constipation?

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guy had been on a UR formula dry food to help aid crystals due to a blockage. Roughly 2.5 weeks ago due to a bout of bad constipation my vet put him on RC Fiber Response plus doubled his dose of Miralax. I transitioned him quickly because he was picking out only the new food - so his choice not mine. Post enema I noticed he wasn't even pooping like he did on his old food - meaning not every day - granted he had been through an ordeal at the vet with the enema. He was on the new food 100% for 8ish days. I figured that was enough time to work. So I decided to begin to transition back to the old food to see if maybe he would do better on it with the increase in Miralax. After 2 days of 1/2+1/2 he produced a *massive* poop (good boy!) So I started to back off of the UR food thinking the Fiber Response had kicked in. He did manage a poop the following morning but nothing like that doozy - that was yesterday. Today nada + he vomited 3 times and doesn't seem to be feeling very good. I know switching back and forth isn't good for him. I'm giving him as much wet food as he'll eat but he's not a fan and trust me I've tried most foods. He won't touch pumpkin, squash, or food with pumpkin or squash. I've tried watering down his wet and he doesn't like soupy consistencies. He's also a grazer so there's that, but he does eat more food overnight I just don't want to leave wet food down that long due to bacteria. He does seem to drink a fair amount of water. I posted not long ago and read the articles about transitioning food and getting more water intake and am doing my best (link below).

Q: I can't seem to find any information on how quickly the FR food takes to kick in, nor if anyone has experienced it causing more constipation. Any thoughts on this?

Here's my previous and very long post: Can't get ahead of constipation in my little buddy

Miathebsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
After we had some issues with crystals, our vet recomended us to move her to a dietary food - Hills S/D . We didn t transitioned her as always - 10 days of new food in combination with the old one because all the vets said it s food for diet and can do no damage to her if transition is made directly . Indeed, we saw some differences in her poop (with acana she went 1-3 times a day, with hills she go one time, maybe 2 times when it s a good day and she is drinking a LLOT of water . I recommend you to try another food, maybe will do better . We have the same problem with the wet food - she eat just one spoon from the hole can and we need to dump it 🤦🏻‍♂️

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your boy drink broths or will he eat lickable treats? If so, you might be able to add a few drops of olive oil. For now, though, he may be backed up again and need a trip to the vet for another enema series (I used to pay extra for sedatives). For me, too much fiber, especially insoluble fiber, can be problematic but I have IBS. Adding a good probiotic can be beneficial.
Red raspberry leaf tea may help his overall comfort by reducing nausea, eliminating cramps and is thought to have mild laxative effects; consult your own vet or a holistic vet for your own cat's case. While you are asking, Slippery elm bark decoction is another excellent suggestion to ask about because its mucilage creates a very soothing lubricant of sorts (also good for lungs and bladder). My primary vet was raised on a NW ranch and grew up using herbs as did I (my father's people are traditional healers) so she & I are familiar with alternatives; your vet may need to consult the Merck Vet Manual.
This older TCS thread is a treasure trove of anecdotes and proven links:
Three senior cats with IBD

Please keep us posted! FYI, I have used these herbs on cats of all ages - from the youngest preemie that I've ever saved to aged cats rescued from feral feeding stations.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat has issues with pooping, it may be the beginnings of Megacolon. I was using RC Fiber Response food for my last guy. In doing my research, I found that it can, indeed cause some constipation. It contains extra fiber, so that can be constipating.
There are medications which can help with the constipation: miralax (you know of), along with lactulose,
and cisapride (which helps with the muscle contractions); and there is always trying some laxatone.

Honestly, I would not use any raspberry tea. I am sorry if I offend catsknowme catsknowme . I would not add anything without first consulting with my own Vet. From my own work experience Raspberry Tea was an old wives tale, and a supposedly aid for women who had pregnancies that were overdue. It was used to bring on labor, by muscle contractions. I would not use it. If it were me, I would be afraid of how it would effect my kitty Slippery Elm bark.. I thought was to deal with diarrhea.. not constipation. You really have to be careful with holistic approaches. You need a licensed practitioner who can guide you along.

If you are feeding some canned food, you can always add extra water.

Since your baby is having urine crystals, I would ask your vet for guidance. They are your best authority..
None of us here are Vets..

I wish you luck.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
You are quite welcome.. I mean it.. It is a tuff road.. anything, anyone here can do to help--just ask... although we cannot supply medical advice. We are not Vets... ((Hugs)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are quite welcome.. I mean it.. It is a tuff road.. anything, anyone here can do to help--just ask... although we cannot supply medical advice. We are not Vets... ((Hugs)))
It is and I appreciate the thoughtfulness. I know y'all aren't vets but sometimes personal experience is helpful, especially since vets are like people doctors - meaning one-size-fits-all approaches.