Could Raw Feeding Have Caused Roundworms?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two cats have been raw-fed since for almost the entire time I have had them. One of them is probably two years old. She showed up at our door 1.5 years ago and was spayed, vaccinated, and dewormed before she entered our house. She has see the vet for boosters and was given a clean bill of health. Our other cat is close to five years old, and we have had him since he was eight weeks old.

i have fed both of them homemade raw since I brought them home. I use meat and poultry from mypetcarnivore.com and frozen cornish hen from the grocery store. I occasionally feed canned sardines.

Our younger cat vomited for the first time a few days ago. She was ejecting a live-seeming roundworm. Both cats are indoor cats. She manages to escape once in a blue moon, but I catch her within literally two minutes, before she gets more than 20 feet from our house. We have no other pets.

I called our vet and treated both cats with Drontal at his recommendation.

Could raw feeding have anything to do with the roundworms? Anything they eat (other than the raw eggs I add) has been frozen for at least several days at sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures.

I have ordered litter and plan to dump, scrub, and disinfect their boxes tomorrow. I gave them the Drontal yesterday. Is there anything else I should be doing? Should the humans in the house be treated? Do I have to use bleach or will Lysol suffice for disinfecting the boxes.

Thank you in advance. I am a little compulsive when it comes to cleaning, and seeing a live worm has really disturbed me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I checked with mypetcarnivore. They eviscerate the animal before grinding. The cornish hen I purchase doesn't include any innards. I am really stumped.