Could My Cat Be Considered A Chimera?

dmt18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my gosh your kitty is so beautiful!! And that link to chimera cats -- I had never heard of such a thing! They are incredible!

dmt18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But you guys -- look at the picture of her cat's whole body. There are orange tabby stripes, are you sure she's not a chimera?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All orange patches on a tortie/calico will be striped. The orange gene doesn't go with the solid gene, so all orange on any cat will be tabby striped.

There are chimeras nobody knows about until/unless some medical test comes back weird. So it's always possible for a cat to be a chimera, but there's nothing about her coloring/pattern that is obviously chimeric.

dmt18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All orange patches on a tortie/calico will be striped. The orange gene doesn't go with the solid gene, so all orange on any cat will be tabby striped.

There are chimeras nobody knows about until/unless some medical test comes back weird. So it's always possible for a cat to be a chimera, but there's nothing about her coloring/pattern that is obviously chimeric.
Wow this is fascinating. Thank you for explaining! Kitty is gorgeous either way. :angelcat: