Could Mold In Stool Be A Sign Of Diabetes?

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today for the first time I saw white mold/spores on my cat's stool. Like a hairy growth over certain areas. This has never happened before.

I have a litter Robot for 2 cats and for those who don't know how they work, you basically have to open a drawer that is under the unit in order to change a bag that gets full of litter and waste. If you have one cat, it takes about a week to get full. For my 2 cats, I find it needs to be changed every 4 days.

The litter robot is inside my apartment and has AC day and night. So it's not like it's sitting in a garage with high heat and humidity, which is a good environment for growing mold.

I read somewhere that mold could grow faster on feces from cat's with diabetes. The reasoning is that more sugars get passed through the stool and the mold grows faster when this is the case.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? The cats in questions were strays who were eating whatever outside and I've had them for about a year or less. Could they develop diabetes in one year of eating commercial foods?

Any insight is very much appreciated. Thank you
I

Linda Dwyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anything is possible, if you are concerned bring a urine sample to the vet and have it tested. Diabetes will show up in urine or a blood sample

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Diabetes is due to the pancreas failing to produce adequate amounts of insulin or an inability to utilise the insulin that is produced. I am a human doctor, not a vet but similar factors in both humans and felines will cause diabetes; these factors are genetic and obesity, the latter, in cats, is often associated with increasing age in the male sex. Eating the wrong food is not a factor, except when the wrong foods contribute to obesity.

Mould on faeces can occur in warm weather when the faeces has been left for several days, but I have never heard of it occurring specifically in diabetics. If your cat is diabetic it may be losing weight, eating voraciously , drinking more, passing more urine and having a tendency to develop infections.

Whatever, if you have any doubt about your cat being diabetic, then you should take the cat to your vet for a physical check up, including a urine and blood test.

With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited: