Could Magoo be stressed?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a stray about 4 months ago when a friend was moving and was worried about a cat she had been feeding for a year and a half. We had been unsuccessful in trapping him during that time ( I do TNR in my mountain community) but before she moved she asked me to take care of him espescially as he seemed to be getting weak. He became so weak she was able to get close enough to actually pick him up.

He is all white and not feral. I brought him to the vet for a checkup to make sure he could withstand surgery at the clinic I use and everything came back ok other than he is FIV positive. I kept him in above ground basement bathroom as he stunk as only an unneutered male cat can smell and for the Revolution to take effect as I have, I am embarrassed to admit, 12 indoor cats.

Kept him there for about a month to build his health up and for the weather to improve before scheduling surgery, going down 2-3 times a day to feed him his wet food with added supplements. My son would go down very occasionally, not even every day, to pet Magoo ( as my son named him from the Whitey my friend called him) and would relate how Magoo would throw himself on his back to have his belly scratched. Once in awhile he would lift a paw to swat my son but more often do that to me even though I am down there 3x/day feeding him.

Now for the past 3 months Magoo is upstairs on main floor and gets along with all the other cats except 1 who every now and then they growl at each other. . Magoo stays in my son's room most of the time, sleeps next to him along with son's other cat and comes out infrequently other than when son comes out. He follows my son out of the room and goes back in when son does. My son is concerned that Magoo is too dependent on him and may feel stressed or unsafe when he is not within sight of my son. He does not seem stressed, on the contrary, he seems relaxed and comfortable. Should we be worried about this behavior?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I personally think this little guy has just taken a real liking to your son - as if he is his own personal security blanket so to speak - and it just may take longer for him to adapt to other human beings. I would let more time pass and see if what happens. You could also try some techniques for getting him to 'like' you better too. See TCS article link below for some possible ideas.

In the meantime, if it would make your son feel any better, tell him to keep out worn unwashed clothing for Magoo so that he always has your son's scent around him. Some of that clothing could be put into other parts of the home over time to try to encourage him to spend time outside your son's room.

There could be something to do with this other cat that Magoo isn't too fond of, so you might think about how make them more comfortable with each other down the road. Developing some abbreviated steps based on the introduction article from TCS article might be helpful!
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with the great suggestions above, one other thing that your son could consider utilizing for times he's away is Cat Music. There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats usually have their preferred person. Don’t mean that they don’t love(like) others but they have their peoples, and they will shadow them around the house. Nothing wrong w him. When your son is not home, he sleeps its not that he is actively pacing the house crying and looking for him, so let him be. sometimes they bond to people that are not main caregivers, love is blind, lol.