could it be a tetorial thing?

sarah gregurich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have two cats and recently we have noticed urine on the bottom of the litter box when i had moved it, and seen it on the sides dripping, and i started noticing it more right about the time we had gotten a new box, it was bigger but the sides were short, so i thought they were just missing, well we switched back to the other one but i bought a second one so they had 2. Well that didnt work either, and i tried moving it away from the wall and every which angle. still nothing, bought the giant box (forgot what brand but it  has like two side storage like slots, and its big enough that we bought a medium sized mesh like dog kennel and put it inside to give them more privacy) but noticed the side cuby slots were filled with urine. so im lost, i thought for sure we would have fixed it, and that it was one of the main reasons why cats miss or pee on the outside of the box,so i did some more research, and tried everything, (besides location it is in our laundry room we have no other options right now, tiny house and not to mention its on the market trying to sell so that is added on stress for the cats, but anyway.) Im not sure that was the issue either, i decided to spy and noticed when The one cat was done using it My other one went in and just got up and peed on the side of the box. is that a territory marking thing or was it just a coincidence that he had to go right after and im still missing something?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

Spraying is definitely marking territory. It's the only reason cats do it.

Are they two cats getting on ok, or have they had issues in the past? Sometimes territorial behaviours occur because of dominance issues. In your situation, the other possibility is stress and anxiety related (most likely) to the house being on the market.

You might find that adding extra boxes will help - the ideal number of boxes is one per cat plus one extra.

I would also look at stress management measures for the cats. Feliway diffusers are a good start, and you might want to investigate Spirit Essences or Composure too.

Don't forget that daily interactive playtime is really important for both cats. It's a great stress buster, and will help your cats 'own' the house in a positive way.[article="29684"][/article][article="32366"][/article][article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]