Coughing In 6 Mo Old, Caused By Polyps Vs. Asthma Vs. ???

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with ear polyps causing coughing but without other symptoms such as nasal congestion or ear/nasal discharge? I'm very confused about what to do for my kitten MJ. Here's the story....

I noticed since MJ was about 3 or 4 months (she is now 6 months) that she will have very occasional coughing spells. Her biological sister (same feral barn cat mom, unknown dad(s)), 4 year old Grace, has asthma, so I am familiar with feline asthma coughing including the way they crouch to cough. But MJ doesn't do the extended neck thing at all, just sits normally. MJ's spells aren't associated with activity or eating or irritants or really anything else, except maybe napping as sometimes she'll wake up from a nap and cough. I have observed her having brief coughing spells (some very brief, and never longer than about 45 seconds) three times in the past week, but prior to that it seems like it was maybe once every couple weeks.

I have two videos of her coughing on YouTube. The shorter one she was 4 months old, the longer one was a few days ago. Links:

My vet has reviewed these videos and doesn't think it's asthma, and suggested polyps in her ears that grow downward toward her palate and cause some obstruction. But the only way to tell that is for me to leave her there for a day for him to anesthetize her and look in her ears and mouth, and remove them if they're there. For asthma x-rays would have to be taken, which I think also involves anesthesia (?). For both cost reasons and my concerns about anesthesia, I want to make the best decision what to schedule her for.

She is active, runs through the house like a maniac with her littermate brother, and is not bothered by pollen, smoke (fireplace or burning leaves outside), dust, etc., which I know means asthma isn't really likely. (But FWIW, Grace who does have asthma only appears to be bothered by ammonia odor and nothing else.) MJ does not shake her head, and does not have ear or nasal discharge, or congestion, which I thought were the main signs of polyps. She did have filthy ears and raging ear mites when very young, which we cleared up by around 8 to 10 weeks, but her ears seem good now.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do. The ear polyp exploration will cost many hundreds of dollars, and without head shaking etc. I'm dubious. But my vet thinks she's too young for it to be asthma, and x-rays to find out would also cost hundreds. (The Feline Asthma Yahoo group disagrees re her being too young, BTW, but they are not veterinarians.) For the moment I've told my vet I will keep an eye on her and think about the polyp explorative surgery.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What would you do in my place?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Aby has been doing that exact same thing for the past 7 years. The vet has seen the videos and done extensive testing including putting a camera into the esophagus. The only thing abnormal the vet found was the surface of part of the throat appeared cobblestone-like in appearance instead of being smooth. He didn't think that was the cause of the odd wet sounding coughing and gagging, though. No polyps were found. The vet honestly isn't too concerned since the episodes happen very infrequently and my cat is healthy othewise.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, LTS3 LTS3 , it can be hard to know just what to suggest when you don't have direct experience with an issue!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the answer to my original post above turned out to be the craziest thing ever. The coughing became more frequent and it was too heartbreaking to just let it go (even though vet thought it was polyps and not life-threatening). I took her in for surgery, ostensibly to look for polyps to remove and also a nasal saline flush, this week Tuesday.

When I picked her up...the vet and I were *both* wrong and he was just as surprised as I was. No asthma, no polyps. Her tonsils were inflamed! So yeah, my kitten had a tonsillectomy. Talk about oddball!

Just to be safe, they have sent her tonsils to a lab for pathology. She was given a Convenia shot, but depending on what the ultimate cause of the inflammation was she may need something additional...there's even a small chance it could be cancer but the vet doubts it at her age.

She's been tired the last couple of days and has diarrhea (probably from the Convenia) at the moment, but otherwise she's doing good. She's always been a difficult eater, which in hindsight makes sense now, but I have hope she'll get over that, and she ate well tonight.

Just for fun, here's a cute pic of my hot chocolate girl enjoying the sun the day after the surgery:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Weird! The vet didn't find inflammed tonsils in my cat when he stuck a camera down :think: Hope your cat recovers soon and the odd coughing stops:vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How very odd. The good news being that all will be well now! Is she demanding ice cream and jello every ten minutes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckbjj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:lolup:
I made her chicken jello (nice thick gelatinous stock from just wings and water) and she did enjoy some of that. She's never been a vigorous eater compared to her littermate Indy. She's also tiny, just 6 lbs to his 8.6 lbs, but I can't say she seems underweight at all so I guess she's just petite. Still, I hope in a couple weeks when her throat has fully healed that she'll eat more.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a perfect treat for a kitty with tonsil issues! You should post the recipe in the "What's On Your Mind" thread! As long as she is eating a bit every day and not actually losing ground, you should be good. Poor baby. Her, not...well, BOTH of you, actually! Sick cats are the WORST, along with small babies. They're so tiny and helpless and can't tell you where it hurts!