Coughing/asthma attack?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally got some videos of his coughing attacks, no idea what to do, he’s on prednisone and an antibiotic. Vet never got back to me on an inhaler for him to use and they won’t me opened until Monday. I’m scared and can’t stop crying. Also noticed that they seem to happen early evening and at night.
Attack one
Attack two
Wheezing ?
Video links 2

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't view your videos, but maybe some moisture in the air might help? If you don't have a humidifier you can put in a room with him, you can run the shower and sit with him in the bathroom.

If it's bad enough, you should take him to a veterinary emergency hospital.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't view your videos, but maybe some moisture in the air might help? If you don't have a humidifier you can put in a room with him, you can run the shower and sit with him in the bathroom.

If it's bad enough, you should take him to a veterinary emergency hospital.
I do have a humidifier going and air purifier, I’m not sure when bad is bad enough but in the ends sadly I dont have an emergency clinic to take him to.
Added some different video links.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to view the second set of videos. Thank you for trying again. Not an expert on this sort of stuff, but has he been checked for heart trouble? Sometimes it manifests itself first as a cough. Not sure how the wheezing fits well with that.

I don't think he's going to just spontaneously kick the bucket, but a trip to the vet is definitely in order.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to view the second set of videos. Thank you for trying again. Not an expert on this sort of stuff, but has he been checked for heart trouble? Sometimes it manifests itself first as a cough. Not sure how the wheezing fits well with that.

I don't think he's going to just spontaneously kick the bucket, but a trip to the vet is definitely in order.
He was at the vet on the 19th and started the prednisone and antibiotics so this just happened a few days after that. They said his heart sounded great and didn’t see any sign of anything wrong with it just the sound in his lungs and him having a hard time breathing. Going to call on Monday to find out what’s going on with getting him an inhaler. I will also be sending them the videos so they can hear and see what he is going through. It also seems to only happen at night. I know human asthma can get worse and sometimes only happen at night but I can’t find much information on that when it comes to cats.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well after waiting several days I called the vet again today to see if they got the videos of Tom coughing attack and after resending it they said they wont do anything else until he comes in for an xray... $115... he's got an app for tomorrow.

Vaughn72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an asthmatic cat. It won't necessarily show up on x-rays. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask!

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was diagnosed with asthma and/or allergies years ago. Long story short, it was the litter! It was a brand that was dusty and scented. She was "cured" after I changed to Dr. Esleys.
This may not be your cat's issue, but it might be worth a try.

PS. I also no longer use any cleaning chemicals with a scent. No candles, air fresheners, etc.

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat experienced similar episodes and they were so upsetting. The vet kind of blew me off saying “this is no asthmatic cat” and sent me home with false security. Maybe a year later, my cat died of sudden heart failure at only 4 with no other symptoms. Not trying to scare you, but I had no idea that heart problems could present that way. Wish I had known. In your case, maybe it is just asthma…either way ask your vet.

Vaughn72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was diagnosed with asthma and/or allergies years ago. Long story short, it was the litter! It was a brand that was dusty and scented. She was "cured" after I changed to Dr. Esleys.
This may not be your cat's issue, but it might be worth a try.

PS. I also no longer use any cleaning chemicals with a scent. No candles, air fresheners, etc.

We tried that too (I appreciate you taking the time to leave the advice!). He's just unfortunate lol. We got him from a shelter with as a kitten with an untreated, nasty upper respiratory infection that took months to clear, so I wasn't shocked when he ended up with asthma. The shelter just missed it.

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried that too (I appreciate you taking the time to leave the advice!). He's just unfortunate lol. We got him from a shelter with as a kitten with an untreated, nasty upper respiratory infection that took months to clear, so I wasn't shocked when he ended up with asthma. The shelter just missed it.
Oh, oh, oh! I didn't catch that he was from a shelter. Our shelter boy cat has the feline herpes virus. We had no idea how common it is with cats from shelters. He showed no symptoms UNTIL a stressful situation occurred within our home. Stress is a common trigger. I think there are other triggers as well, but I can't for the life of me remember! :(

Anyway... when our boy shows symptoms, we give him 1/4 tsp (500 mg) of pure L-lysine powder a day. We put it in his wet food. We continue until a few days after he is no longer showing any symptoms.

Since we know holidays that involve fireworks are a trigger for him, we give the L-lysine to him a few days before and continue a few days after.

Some say cats with this virus, need it every day for the rest of his/her life. Ours do well giving as needed.

Feline Herpes is also contagious. Not all our cats have it, but the one that he is exceptionally close to does also.

Just to be clear, I am NOT saying your cat doesn't have asthma. I am only sharing because of our different experiences with vets and our cats and diagnosis that weren't exactly correct.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 asthmatic kitties and we had a kitty with lots of upper respiratory issues. This looks like asthma to me, but it could also happen if there's a lot of drainage from allergies, or upper respiratory infection. How did the follow up with the vet go?

Vaughn72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, oh, oh! I didn't catch that he was from a shelter. Our shelter boy cat has the feline herpes virus. We had no idea how common it is with cats from shelters. He showed no symptoms UNTIL a stressful situation occurred within our home. Stress is a common trigger. I think there are other triggers as well, but I can't for the life of me remember! :(

Anyway... when our boy shows symptoms, we give him 1/4 tsp (500 mg) of pure L-lysine powder a day. We put it in his wet food. We continue until a few days after he is no longer showing any symptoms.

Since we know holidays that involve fireworks are a trigger for him, we give the L-lysine to him a few days before and continue a few days after.

Some say cats with this virus, need it every day for the rest of his/her life. Ours do well giving as needed.

Feline Herpes is also contagious. Not all our cats have it, but the one that he is exceptionally close to does also.

Just to be clear, I am NOT saying your cat doesn't have asthma. I am only sharing because of our different experiences with vets and our cats and diagnosis that weren't exactly correct.
Oh, yeah, definitely. Vets don't always get it right. Our guy definitely has asthma as far as I can tell. He was incredibly sick twice with the virus right after we got him. He's fine now, but we do we give him a chewable lysine supplement, I second that for sure!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know if your vet says anything about this mine does the same thing but always looks like he is swallowing something after and my vet told me it’s hairballs.