Coughing After Spay

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

My six month girl Celeste was spayed the morning of August 31st. Done by 11:30am, and picked up from the clinic at 3pm.

She recovered quickly and basically acted like nothing happened, other than a little bit of lethargy (which of course did not concern me). Incision is looking okay, she's not bothering it, received internal stitches and glue and is playing with our other cat like normal. She's eating okay, using the bathroom, drinking water, etc. all normal.

The only thing I've noticed is she seems to be grooming a little bit more than usual (maybe because she feels off from the surgery still and since she is shaved?) and she has this weird "gagging" noise she makes every so often. It's like a cough or a hack and she does it once every few hours or so. It started about 3 days after the surgery and she was still doing it last night. She's not acting sick, though, so should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps irritation from the breathing tube and/or hairballs from grooming? She hasn't hacked up anything physically, just made the noise.

Megsnan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try giving her some hairball remedy. If she still is coughing/gagging then time to go to the vet. Just to be safe

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i would call my vet and ask. I would rather be safe than sorry. Is she wearing a cone? Don't want her licking that incision site or she can cause herself all kinds of problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She isn’t wearing a cone but she isn’t bothering the site. I’ve been keeping a close eye on her. She’s mostly just grooming her fur in general a bit more often, maybe to relieve herself from any itchiness she might be feeling as it heals.