Costco Nature's Domain Canned Food

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried this? The price is great you get 48 5.5 oz cans for $29.99. I bought a case last week and my cat actually seems to like it a lot but I can't find anything online about the quality. It comes with both Chicken & Turkey and Chicken & Liver. Says it is "organic" and grain-free.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can post the ingredients and nutritional analysis on here and we will give our honest opinions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ingredients:
Organic chicken, organic chicken broth, organic chicken liver, natural flavor, tricalcium phosphate, organic pea flour, calcium carbonate, agar-agar, organic dandelion greens, organic alfalfa, organic parsley, choline chloride, sea salt, potassium chloride, taurine, organic cranberries, magnesium proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D2 supplement, folic acid.

Calorie Content:
1215 kcals/kg (189 kcals/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 10.0% minimum
Crude Fat 7.5% minimum
Crude Fiber 0.5% maximum
Moisture 78.0% maximum
Ash 1.5% maximum
Magnesium 0.028% maximum
Taurine 0.1% minimum

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
It has pea flour, making the food a bit starchier than needed but it's great that it is organic and that there is so much meat in the first few ingrediants. I think that if your cat does fine on it (gleaming coat, energy, eager for mealtimes), then the food is awesome and is doing its job.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the ingredients are decent when compared to other wet foods on the market. Ingredients I would be concerned about: Natural flavour, pea flour, agar agar, dandelion greens/alfalfa?

But no wet food has perfect ingredients and it has no gums or carrageenan so that’s good.

Based on the provided values I calculate the protein-fat-carb percentages for total calories as 33-59-8. This isn’t horrible but it would be better if the protein was higher and fat lower.

Seems like an overall decent food to me.

LJMcGrew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the ingredients are decent when compared to other wet foods on the market. Ingredients I would be concerned about: Natural flavour, pea flour, agar agar, dandelion greens/alfalfa?

But no wet food has perfect ingredients and it has no gums or carrageenan so that’s good.

Based on the provided values I calculate the protein-fat-carb percentages for total calories as 33-59-8. This isn’t horrible but it would be better if the protein was higher and fat lower.

Seems like an overall decent food to me.

The percentages are actually:
Kirkland Nature's Domain Canned Cat Food
w/ moisture w/o moisture
Water/Moisture 78.0%
Protein 10.0% 45.5%
Fat 7.5% 34.1%
Fiber 0.5% 2.3%
Ash 1.5% 6.8%
Taurine 0.1% 0.5%
Magnesium 0.028% 0.1%

Based on these numbers I would say it's a very good food. My biggest concern is that I have a cat with urinary tract problems. Our vet has prescribed Hills c/d - now that's some not so great food - and at $40-$50 per case of (12) 5.5oz cans, it's outrageously priced.

What I would like to know is the amount of calcium and phosphorous, which are contributors to crystals in the urine.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For some reason we can’t get the wet version of Nature’s Domain from Costco in Canada. Here they sell the dry, but the wet available to us is called Vintage. It’s $49.99 for 24 5.5oz cans. My cats like the chicken flavour (Range). I wonder how it compares to Nature’s Domain. I will have to look it up tomorrow. Vintage also contains the agar agar.