Cost of Euthanasia

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 yo cat that will likely need to be put to sleep soon. I found out our vet charges $700. I called around and $500 to $800 is normal! Wow. I am shocked by this. Is this normal or is my area very expensive.
For reference: 5 years ago one of my cats had to have a leg amputated and the cost was $3000. Spay service is around $300.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything has gone up in price. I know it’s outrageous. You can try lower cost spay neuter places or even the humane society will sometimes be an option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_20230106-202544.png
This is apparently the least expensive option locally, so $530. I guess this is one of the reasons people abandon elderly pets.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat euthanized a little over a year ago, December 2021 and it wasn't nearly that expensive. That was before prices started going up though. I don't remember what the cost was but I think it was under $200. I then paid for the cremation and return of ashes which was about the same as the euthanasia. There is a big difference in vet prices between areas. This comes up a lot with dentals and there is always a big difference in prices.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are any of the places on this link accessible?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That is outrageous! It's been quite a while since I've had to do that, but it was under $200

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the cost of everything has skyrocketed.. Yup...

Unfortunately, I think you were quoted the current correct price. If you have pet insurance, sometimes they can reimburse you a portion of the cost.. It is insane.. it really is.. ((hugs))

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is one of the reasons people abandon their beloved pets -- some are the ones the humane Societies whine about being left tied to their doors. They don't mention the cost of euthanasia they just say people abandoned the animal that loved them. Some humane societies charge people who have lost everything and have no money to take their pets. They are also horrified that people abandon their pets. Hypocrites, they know better. I, personally, believe this goes to the money over compassion. The price of the euthanasia drugs has not tripled, greed has. Large corporations are buying up vet practices -- Mars Corporation is a major player in devouring vet practices -- and they set the prices. Vets they don't own see they can do this.

Feel free to offer proof that the medicine has tripled in price in the last few years. Then we can blame the pharmaceutical industry, which clearly doesn't and never has cared about human or animal patients.

I have no idea why corporations feel the need to push everyone to despair. I doubt anyone who has had to abandon their pet because they can't afford the medicine to save them or to PTS is in the mood to buy anything. Yet, this seems to be the corporate goal.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is $700 at our normal vet office.
You may want to ask what’s going into that price. They may be including things like paw impressions, individual cremation and return of ashes, etc.

If you cut out all the extras, the actual euthanasia procedure is just giving a few shots and should cost considerably less than a surgery.

Be particularly suspicious of costs for cremation. If you own or have access to land where you can dig a hole, you can take the body home, cremation is not mandatory.

If you haven’t already, you can also call your local animal control and see if they offer a euthanasia service.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to ask about the extras, they don't offer, they just do them. Do you want the paw print clay thing? Too bad, here it is. Do you want the medallion? Too bad here it is. Yep, you're charged for it. You're probably charged for lighting the 'someone is crossing over' candle, while your pet is PTS.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat euthanized at the same vet as December of 2021 about 6 years ago and they didn't even charge me for the euthanasia. I paid the service that they worked with for the cremation and having the ashes returned but no charge from the vet for the euthanasia. I don't know if that was a normal practice for them. Patches had a chronic health issue and I probably helped put a vet's kid through college with the care that he had needed over the years. Patches was also very sweet and had become a favorite of the people at the clinic so that might have been a one-off courtesy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea about asking about extras. We bury our pets in a plot in the yard. Kitty still is doing fair today, so I have a little time. I have waited to long in the past and want to make sure I do not this time. She needs daily meds and nose drops and administering them is making her quality of life very low, she is becoming anxious and fearful, which is not what I want for her. If we discontinue the meds, then she will suffer, so catch 22 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.