Cosequin

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some for one of my cats who is limping more, he always had a limp cause his toes were frozen off but it seem to be gotten worse, would it help? Do I have to sprinkle on food, or can I pill it?
I'd sprinkle on his food but I free-feed all my cats from the same bowl.

I'd bring him to a vet and have it check but I can't, don't have the money, and my parents won't pay the vet bill. It looks like I have a job now(not sure) I'm hoping to save some money to bring him and his brother, they're 6 and never been to a vet before other than a low cost neuter clinic when they were under a year old so they need a checkup. They both seem healthy otherwise, never had a single health problem even so I feed them primary special kitty dry food so they must have good genetics.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use tuna. I open a can and fill the ice cube tray with the tuna, it's two just liquid and two empty, then use the cubes to put the powdered medicine on. You'll need to put a chunk in the fridge the night before and warm it before you give it to him. I use those tiny plastic space savers. Or you could buy a can of wet cat food and do the same. One can will do one pill a day for a week.

Empty the ice cube tray into a plastic space saver or bag, so you won't be fighting with it every day.

You're right the powder won't stick to dry food and the others will eat it. It won't hurt them but won't do him any good if he doesn't eat it. it takes a couple of weeks to see if it's working. We got dasuquin which is pretty much the same and it's really helped our cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just mix in the powder with tuna and freeze it in ice cube trays? I think I'm going to start feeding him wet food, 1/8 or or 1/4 a 5.5oz can a day with the powder mixed in. Just going to have to separate him from the other cats so they won't eat it and he get all the powder

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be helpful to take the cat to the vet and have the limp checked out. It may be arthritis or something else.

Thee Cosequin capsule is typicaly opened and the powder sprinkled onto canned food. Give your cat his own bowl with a spoonful of canned food or a treat of canned tuna with the Cosequin mixed in. Let him eat it up, maybe put him and the bowl in a room with the door closed.

The Cosequin directions says it can be pilled. Just use a Pill Pocket or other pill dough.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking arthritis that why I'm hoping the supplement will help, I want to have a vet check his limp out, just don't have money but I will once I saved enough, I want to open a savings account for them, for vet visits and stuff

I just pilled him without a pill pocket I'm going to just mix it in with a spoonful of wet food instead cause that seem easier, the pill pocket probably would be just as easy too.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mixed it in some wet food and he didn't finished it, maybe he wasn't very hungry so I'm going to try again later but I don't think he's a big fan of special kitty wet food anyway, I know he likes friskies so I will try that next if not I will try pill pockets, will the dogs one be fine? The walmart here only have ones for dogs, I don't believe they have one for cats

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you thaw the frozen cube then sprinkle the medicine on, then mush it up in the treat. You really should talk to your vet first and find out what you are dealing with. If it is arthritis cosequin is one way to go. If the vet offers other things, you can have a deeper discussion.

It's possible it's not arthritis. The vet thought my dog was going blind due to the way he was walking. That did turn out to be arthritis in on front paw, but it could have gone the other way.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dog Pill Pockets are fine:agree: You probably won't need the whole Pill Pocket so just use enough to fully cover the capsule.

Cosequin is supposed to not have any taste or smell but my cat wouldn't eat the first dose mixed in with her food. I had to use toppers to get her to eat. After that she was fine eating the food with the Cosequin.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I dropped some powder on the ground and his brother licked it up, so as a test to see if he will lick it up too, I pour it in the ground and he licked it up with no problem, so that tells me it wasn't the powder he dislikes, it was the special kitty wet food, I guess he's not a huge fan of it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent information. Ours hates wet food too. sympathy

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, he used to love wet food, I'm thinking it just the brand but he and his brother have seen gotten picky so I don't know if he still does

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can easily be the brand. Others of ours have looked at a favorite food, one they'd eaten for 10+ years, took a sniff of the new and improved formula and walked away. period, finished not even worth burying.

In case you don't know this, pet food companies don't have to put labels reflecting a change in formula on their cans until 6 (six) months after they make the change. I, personally, am sure that resetting the label printer isn't any more difficult than resetting the machines for a change in the formula.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mixed it in some friskies today, but I don't know if Tucker loves wet food as he once did, I mean he still ate it, finished it, so it appears he likes it, I did give him less than last time though. I just don't know, his brother(gray) on the other hand is enthusiastic about any can of wet food as always. I just gave all the cats a can of twin pet wet food without the powder, and Tucker seem to likes it really well. so I'm going to try mixing it in the twin pet tomorrow and see how that goes.

I don't think he's in any sort of pain, at least not major, when I call for him he usually walk slow cause his foot but sometimes he will run, he always been like that since he was young, this time he ran. I'm sure he did a lot of running and chasing his siblings when he was a kitten, can't really remember. And I had him chasing a toy earlier so I don't think he's in any pain

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking arthritis that why I'm hoping the supplement will help, I want to have a vet check his limp out, just don't have money but I will once I saved enough, I want to open a savings account for them, for vet visits and stuff

I just pilled him without a pill pocket I'm going to just mix it in with a spoonful of wet food instead cause that seem easier, the pill pocket probably would be just as easy too.
My cat developed a noticeable limp. I think she landed wrong. the vet said many things could of happened, she thinks soft tissue. She gave me flexiril and recommended cosequne supplements. it it continues in a couple weeks she wants to to do an x ray. the knee joint may have blown, the treatment is let it heal. She has other contributing factors going on of course, watch and wait is the game. I found this great company in california that does a great job: Vitality Science | Natural Remedies For Dogs And Cats
I'm thinking about ordering more from them in the future. Keep the cat comfortable, limit the cat's movement, no play, until it is figured out.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I need to take him to a vet to have his limp check out, I just don't have money to. Once I get a job, I'm planning on bringing him and his brother for a exam and to get them updated on vaccinations, should I get a titer test instead? They haven't have vaccinations since under a year old. I also plan on opening a savings account for them, emergencies and whatnot. I also need to bring one of my female cats in to have her mouth check, I think she may have sort of mouth pain cause she would make a slurping noise, but I haven't seen her do for awhile so I don't know what that about and if I try to approach her with my hand to pet her, she backs away,and it doesn't matter how I approach, down low or up high. At first I thought she hate or is afraid of hands but I realize it may be because of mouth pain. When I check her mouth, the gums of two upper canines looks red, is that normal? she still eats, haven't lost any weight as far i can tell, her teeth or gums haven't gotten worse but I haven't check for awhile. Hopefully when I get a job I will be able to bring 3 of my 4 cats in for a exam.

I'm thinking bringing in my female cat's daughter in to have her heart, lungs or whatever check out because she started panting randomly on two days in a row. The thing is she only panted a little and I never saw her panting when she playing and chasing her mother but I don't think it was hot out, I don't know if i need to have her check out or not. should I have her heart check out? She's healthy otherwise, and is very happy cat.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just check her mouth and the gums isnt red anymore? Is that normal or weird? They look normal now

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know I need to take him to a vet to have his limp check out, I just don't have money to. Once I get a job, I'm planning on bringing him and his brother for a exam and to get them updated on vaccinations, should I get a titer test instead? They haven't have vaccinations since under a year old. I also plan on opening a savings account for them, emergencies and whatnot. I also need to bring one of my female cats in to have her mouth check, I think she may have sort of mouth pain cause she would make a slurping noise, but I haven't seen her do for awhile so I don't know what that about and if I try to approach her with my hand to pet her, she backs away,and it doesn't matter how I approach, down low or up high. At first I thought she hate or is afraid of hands but I realize it may be because of mouth pain. When I check her mouth, the gums of two upper canines looks red, is that normal? she still eats, haven't lost any weight as far i can tell, her teeth or gums haven't gotten worse but I haven't check for awhile. Hopefully when I get a job I will be able to bring 3 of my 4 cats in for a exam.

I'm thinking bringing in my female cat's daughter in to have her heart, lungs or whatever check out because she started panting randomly on two days in a row. The thing is she only panted a little and I never saw her panting when she playing and chasing her mother but I don't think it was hot out, I don't know if i need to have her check out or not. should I have her heart check out? She's healthy otherwise, and is very happy cat.
I'm sorry to hear you don't have the funds to provide necessary health treatment to your animals. It may sound harsh when I say, you may need to find a way to get your animals the necessary basic care they deserve.
In the words of Jackson Galaxy, we are guardians of the cats.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you don't have the funds to provide necessary health treatment to your animals. It may sound harsh when I say, you may need to find a way to get your animals the necessary basic care they deserve.
In the words of Jackson Galaxy, we are guardians of the cats.
yeah, I need to either rehome them(which is hard to do for me) with people who can or get a job, which I may have a job, I just don't know for sure yet.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, I need to either rehome them(which is hard to do for me) with people who can or get a job, which I may have a job, I just don't know for sure yet.
alright. I am praying for your kitties. Stay off Facebook with this information. People will tell you that you are abusing your cats.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The dog Pill Pockets are fine:agree: You probably won't need the whole Pill Pocket so just use enough to fully cover the capsule.

Cosequin is supposed to not have any taste or smell but my cat wouldn't eat the first dose mixed in with her food. I had to use toppers to get her to eat. After that she was fine eating the food with the Cosequin.
Which toppers did you use?