Correcting longterm inappropriate urination issues

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm trying to help a relative with a couple of her cats who consistently urinate outside the litter box. Due to her own health and mobility issues, this issue has been allow to go on for several years unfortunately, so it's a longterm pattern of behavior for the cats. There's a chance *I* might adopt the cats in question to lesser my relative's load a bit, but in any case, I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice about how to get these cats back on track with using their box.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my thoughts when I hear an owner has mobility and health issues is whether they are able to clean and wash litter boxes on a frequent enough basis. If that isn’t happening, it may be the reason the cats are urinating outside their box. Second is whether these cats have enough boxes, whether these boxes are large enough and whether they are in the right locations. Lastly, have the cats had regular vet visits so any health issues can be identified that might cause Inappropriate urination.

So I would start with some observation and information gathering about these cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have some thoughts, as well. How many cats are in the home? And do they get along? Also, are they neutered / spayed? And how many litter boxes? And has she been able to clean the areas where they've peed? And is it spraying, as in territorial, or just not ever using the litter box to urinate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I had a much longer post typed out but it must've gotten cut off!

Here is what got cut off, including many details. I'll see what I can find out about the litterbox cleaning routine. I know she scoops at least every other day, perhaps every day. Not sure how often she is able to empty and scrub the boxes down.

-two of four cats (all indoor siblings) seem to be the ones straying from the box some of the time, both female. All are spayed/neutered. They seem to get along fine.
-there does not seem to be any medical issue that the vet can find like a UTI.
-my theory is that it is purely behavioral, from social pressure; too many cats in the house, and too few litter boxes in too small a space. There are four litter boxes in one small room in the house. I've mentioned in the past that she really needs one box per cat plus one extra, and to spread them out, but that hasn't happened up to this point, but I'm working on changing that, if all four cats stay with her.
-when they go outside the box, they generally either go in the same one or two places. Occasionally if a towel or something falls to the floor they will go on it.

Where would be the best place to begin, whether the two problem pee'ers stay with her or come live with me? My first thought, if they stay, would be to shore up her litter situation with more boxes in different parts of the house, and some deep cleaning of places they've been peeing in the past with an enzymatic cat urine cleaner so they don't think of those as potty places anymore. If they come to stay with me, I could obviously try to get my place set up to get them off on the right foot, and there wouldn't be as much activity without their brothers around, but I'd naturally like to minimize any urinating on my carpet as well even if just at the beginning. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Thoughts? Thank you :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven’t dealt exactly with your situation but I think you are on the right thought track. If she is like my mom, cleaning boxes every other day means every three or four and whatever her schedule it just might not be enough for one or more finicky cat. You might want to use a black light to find all the spots that have been urinated on - they will glow under black light. You might also set out puppy pads in their frequent pee spots after you enzyme clean. It will make it easier to spot the urination and much easier for her to clean. They are pretty inexpensive And if the cats will use them instead of floors it can be a long term solution if need be.

I want to thank you for considering taking a couple of her cats. It is daunting to take on cats with potential issues, but having done it fortunately the issues don’t always transfer to a new location. If you do take the two I would start out in a single room that you can add some protection to - I used plastic tarps across the whole room and up the baseboards and only left furniture I didn’t mind if the cat ruined.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the additional information on their situation. For the most part, susanm9006 susanm9006 suggested everything I was thinking.

Definitely get more litter boxes, and put them in different rooms. If it's a territorial thing, they need to spaced a bit more. And make sure they are cleaned regularly. Cats are very fastidious. and will not use a litter box if it's not cleaned enough. Some cats even want 1 box to pee in and 1 to poop in, so more litter boxes is always a good thing. If your relative can't keep them cleaned as often as she'd like, maybe automatic ones might be an option.

If you take 2 of the cats, definitely keep them in one room at first, until you are sure they are both using the litter box regularly.

Oh, there's a litter called Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™ which, per their website, is "Guaranteed to Bring Cats Back to the Litter Box", so that might be something to look into.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive has occasional issues peeing outside the litter box. It started we think with a turf war between her and an outdoor cat, and then the behavior escalated. We had two cats and many litter boxes spread out, so for us it wasn’t that. Dr Elsey’s Cat Attract Litter and scooping often really helped a lot. When we finally bought our place, we replaced most of the carpet with laminate flooring -obviously not cheap or easy but she’s been good so far. The only time we had a few missteps was when my husband was sick and had a shoulder injury and I’m pregnant so the boxes were neglected for almost a week. Then she went outside a few times but diligent cleaning of the messes and getting back on track with scooping seems to have resolved the issue so far.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Always had multiple cats.
1. Litter box not cleaned daily is number 1 issue.
2. Litter box I used for 4 cats was 4 foot long and 12 inch deep sides. It worked unless cat had an issue that they wanted my attention.
3. You can also use multiple litter boxes 1 for each cat. But number 1 still needs to be done.
4. Angry Orange sold at Amazon is a great cat urine remover. I have used it when attention getting occurred.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for these suggestions! Regardless of whether or not I adopt a couple of the cats in the longterm, in the short term I am going to work on getting her some new litter boxes, Dr. Elsey's attractant litter, a new box layout for the house, Feliway, and plenty of urine cleaner for the trouble spots.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck. And thanks for helping your relative, and her cats.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck. And thanks for helping your relative, and her cats.
They're really sweet kitties, and I'm happy to start making some improvements so things are better for everyone :) :lovecat2: