Correct Clavamox dosage?

catman925

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Tried to find a good answer using the search function, but unfortunately, it returned results for "clavamox" and for "dosage" which as you can imagine got me gobs of irrelevant results.

I'm in cat rescue and have a 3lb kitten needing Clavamox which is supplied through the rescue group I work with.

Unfortunately, the person I work with doesn't always give me the correct dosage information for some meds. That and my feeling is I want the correct dosage both to avoid overdosing, but also I want to make sure I'm giving enough meds to be actually effective. And with antibiotics of course, underdosing can cause bacterial resistance. So I'm pretty a. retentive about dosages and I regularly try and double check through other sources.

Any vets/rescue professionals that can look at the numbers below and let me know if my numbers are correct or theirs are?

Med: Clavamox oral suspension, 200mg per 5ml

Kitten: 3 lbs with weeping eye ulcer (eye to be removed next week) and other URI/FHV symptoms

Person I work with told me 0.5ml twice a day regardless of cat's weight

Here's what I have:
From the Clavamox box insert -
Adults:
Severe: 45mg/kg/day split every 12 hours
Other: 25mg/kg/day split every 12 hours

based on calculations at VPR Cloud:

45mg/kg at 200mg/5ml (or 40mg/ml) comes to 0.51ml/lb/day split every 12 hours

so dosage should be 0.51 x 3lbs = 1.53ml per day

to split for every 12 hours:
1.53ml / 2 = 0.765ml (round to 0.75)

I realize our two dosages are fairly close and given the range of dosages for Clavamox (25mg vs. 45mg), I'm pretty sure doing 0.5ml 2x / day would be fine for this kitten. But, our two dosages are ONLY so close because this kitten's weight caused the calculation to come out to being close. What happens with a 10lb cat? 13lb?

So I hope you can see my dilemma. I hate questioning my rescue group so much on the dosages but I'm concerned with safety and drug efficacy.

Any vets/rescue professionals out there got sone advice? Are my calculations correct?

Appreciate your help in advance :clapcat:
- Art