Corona Virus Now Spreading

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Studies have shown Scott’s blue shop towels made into a mask are about as good as a N95 mask. No sewing needed, you just accordion fold them staple each end about an inch in, add a rubber band and staple at the end. They arent the most attractive to look at but comfortable to wear. Can post a pic if you want to see one.
That's okay. I already have an N95 mask that I had on the shelf for some time. I discovered it while looking for something else, of course.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What still gets me is just how many people are totally okay with others getting sick and dying "because she was old", or "because he was a smoker". It increases their chances, but if they hadn't gotten COVID they wouldn't have died. And it's not okay that you're okay with their death.

I know death is a reality. I've lost all of my grandparents and a woman who was very close to me (years ago, not because of COVID). I grew up on a farm and have certainly seen death close up. But I think if we can prevent it, we should. And if preventing it means you don't get to go to the beach for a couple of months, fine. I know it sucks. I wanted to go on vacation too.
My mom was mentioning my aunt and one of her daughters was heading to their vacation property in Florida. The beaches were being opened and there was going to be "strict social distance policies being enforced," meaning people have to stay distanced but are allowed on the beach. I though this was crazy! Just stay home! This definitely worries me...

I am right there with you preventing as many deaths. If healthcare systems are still being stressed with patients, we need to keep up social distancing.It is sickening, to me, too, that people are justifying, "well..... they would have died anyway."

And I know there are many who need to work and who are in financial trouble; hopefully this lets us take a good look at just what shape our economy was in before this. But my frustration is mainly aimed at those who want to leave simply because they are bored or who want a haircut. I saw a post on Facebook from an individual who I had previously met with considering him loans (will not be using him anymore) that anyone who is compromised or "scared" should stay home so he and others can go out and have fun. He can work from home so it is not a hardship for him, just selfishness.
Yes, not sure if this is considered political, but I do believe so much more should have and be done with insuring people are able to live during these times financially. Living paycheck to paycheck is very common, and not always a sign someone is bad with money. The money distribution is extremely unbalanced in the US and minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. I think it is unfair that many retail workers are working because they need money, but may be high at risk, if they were to get sick. But they feel there is no other choice but to keep working. It's so sad to me.

Also, there are still many reports of people not being able to get unemployment benefits, and there are many businesses who may not open back up, even if they are able to. I mean, I get people are feeling couped up and it is hard on mental health, but we are doing this to slow down the spread and protect the more vulnerable. If people start going out more and hospitals still don't have enough beds or proper PPE, the second wave is going to be bad, which I feel is inevitable.

Anyway, rant over. I think our state is going to be opening up Monday because of pressure from individuals. I just hope it isn't catastrophic.

Today is my mother's 65th birthday. I've ordered an ice cream cake for her from Baskin Robbins and am going to pick up Mexican food as well and take it out there. You can bet I'll be wearing a mask the whole time and will be using a lot of germ-x between trips. I'm nervous because I honestly haven't been anywhere besides my house and my parents' house in weeks - but I can do this.

Stay safe <3 What flavors of ice cream in the cake?? I love ice cream cakes! Although, I prefer ice cream cakes with all ice cream and no actual cake, hahaha ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard of this drug that could potentially be helpful in treating those who are sick?

Drug has 'clear cut' power to fight coronavirus

It shouldn't be taken as a cure all or cure anything but it might be helpful in lessening the severity of the virus on those already sick.
That's the one I'm seeing talked about most online. Of course we don't know whether or not it's the magic cure. Beautiful pic btw!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's okay. I already have an N95 mask that I had on the shelf for some time. I discovered it while looking for something else, of course.
It's recommended to have several masks so you can rotate them, though, because if there's any virus that gets on them, it dies after a period of time. Also, washing the cloth masks either in the washer or by hand kills the virus.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, not sure if this is considered political, but I do believe so much more should have and be done with insuring people are able to live during these times financially. Living paycheck to paycheck is very common, and not always a sign someone is bad with money. The money distribution is extremely unbalanced in the US and minimum wage has not kept up with inflation. I think it is unfair that many retail workers are working because they need money, but may be high at risk, if they were to get sick. But they feel there is no other choice but to keep working. It's so sad to me.

Also, there are still many reports of people not being able to get unemployment benefits, and there are many businesses who may not open back up, even if they are able to. I mean, I get people are feeling couped up and it is hard on mental health, but we are doing this to slow down the spread and protect the more vulnerable. If people start going out more and hospitals still don't have enough beds or proper PPE, the second wave is going to be bad, which I feel is inevitable.
Oh yes. I consider myself to be one who lives paycheck to paycheck, especially right now as I'm not working my side hustle. I have my bachelor's degree and am working on my master's - though I'll probably be stalled in completing that as it is a higher education field and I'm sure colleges are going to be tightening the purse strings for awhile. I don't think I'm necessarily bad with money, things just tend to be expensive and I took the first decent job I was offered since the pickings were slim when I was hired.

I'm a younger millennial and I've read articles that say my generation will be the first to be poorer than our parents'. I absolutely believe that and my parents would say the same, money just went farther when they were younger.

Stay safe <3 What flavors of ice cream in the cake?? I love ice cream cakes! Although, I prefer ice cream cakes with all ice cream and no actual cake, hahaha ;)
White cake, with mint chocolate chip ice cream! It's her favorite ice cream, and mine too. :) I don't really think she likes Mexican food, but my dad absolutely insisted it's what she would want so that's what we are getting.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a younger millennial and I've read articles that say my generation will be the first to be poorer than our parents'. I absolutely believe that and my parents would say the same, money just went farther when they were younger.
It will be interesting to see if anything changes in regards to elder care and nursing homes as a result of the virus. The reason I mention that is that one of the reasons younger generations are not doing as well is because of the looting of their parents estates. I had this happen. My parents inherited a lot from their parents. My grand parents were some of the original stock holders for Bank of Hawaii, and several other companies. They passed those on to their descendants and it helped them out a lot. My parents did all the financial planning and estate planning and had it all set up. After my mom died and my dad developed dementia he was taken to court and declared incompetent, made a ward of the state and the court took over his estate. They threw out all their planning, and appointed someone, a company, to be his guardian. They then set out legally looting the estate and in the end taking somewhere around 3 million in the process. When he finally died we got the leftovers. This has become the new enterprise, looting the old to get as much as you can so they don't turn it over to their undeserving offspring. The new philosophy is that children don't deserve an inheritance, so it is taken before they get a chance to squander it. This means that these families never get a chance to build on what the former generations accomplished so each one starts over again with no help from the former generation. The wealthy get a new revenue source and the middle class get kept in their place.
By the way, many of these assisted living places are funded by investment groups. One of the ones my dad was in was bought and sold 3 times in the short time he was there. His guardian moved him 5 times depending on which place gave them the best kickback.
Now the question is will all these people dying in the nursing homes dry up the revenue stream enough that they give up on them. Who knows what will happen now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emphatic "Yes" on all of your post, vyger vyger , which is why it is CRUCIAL for people if they are able, to spend the time and $$$ -- and no, it's not cheap -- to get a GOOD law firm/attorney well versed in estate law and draw up a TRUST along with the will. Relying on others -- any others -- to comply with your wishes is naive at best.
Me, too, KittyFriday KittyFriday on the income situation, and even people who are frugal and manage their money very carefully and wisely are in this situation in a world like the one in which we now live. Some people are fronting because it massages their egos and/or keeps other people off their backs, but the reality is that those people are by and large either eye-deep in debt or lying through their teeth about their financial pictures.
And mmmmm! My favorites! :yummy:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there's no normal while the virus is still rampaging through. Some things I agree with---parks, outdoor playgrounds, etc. should never have been closed in the first place, because outdoor transmission is rare. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, blah blah etc. But they still shouldn't allow large gatherings, and restaurants should be super careful.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's the one I'm seeing talked about most online. Of course we don't know whether or not it's the magic cure. Beautiful pic btw!
I heard Dr Fauci talking about it and he said that it reminded him of the initial medications that showed promise in fighting HIV. They built on that, layering other medications on that one until they found the cocktail that kept the virus controlled. They now have that down to one pill. From that they now have a preventative that people who are in a relationship that puts them at risk can take that greatly reduces their risk of contracting HIV.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a few days ago that China claims that patients who were already taking famotidine (Pepcid) had better outcomes. I haven't heard anything else yet, and lf course you never know what to believe from China, although apparently it does have properties that may block viruses. I take famotidine daily, so yay? But I think the actual antiviral drug is more likely to show good results.
Doctors Are Testing a Popular Heartburn Drug to See if It Can Help Fight Coronavirus—Here's What We Know Right Now

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my older brother, informing him about our 95 year-old uncle who just passed away- but not from the virus. It seems that his son and daughter-in-law have both tested positive. She is sick but he has no symptoms, and neither do their 2 kids. The bad thing is that they live right next door to my brother, so who knows whether he has been exposed or not.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just got off the phone with my older brother, informing him about our 95 year-old uncle who just passed away- but not from the virus. It seems that his son and daughter-in-law have both tested positive. She is sick but he has no symptoms, and neither do their 2 kids. The bad thing is that they live right next door to my brother, so who knows whether he has been exposed or not.
Oh, no. Such a time of anxiety. Will he get tested?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes. I am sorry about your uncle and then having to worry about your brother and his family.