Corn Silk Advice

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has stress related UTI with bladder inflammation and debris in his bladder. The vet had him on Metacam for one month which I am really unhappy about. The inflammation has cleared now but may return. He is on Nutracys+ daily and I want to start using corn silk but know little about it. Can anyone offer advice on this please. Should I give him corn silk as well as Nutracys+ and if so is it cat specific or human use. Which is the best brand and how much do I give daily. Is corn silk the best for inflammation or is there something better. Do I wait to see if the inflammation returns before giving anything other than Nutracys. A lot of questions I know but just want to do the best for him. Thank you.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have a kitty with stress related FLUTD. He has completely blocked 3 times. After the second blockage we did the PU surgery. He was fine for almost 2 years and then this past April, he blocked again. I found a wonderful Facebook group called Feline Lower Urinary Tract. It's a closed group and you need approval to join. Yet their wealth of information is so valuable.

I have had my kitty on Marshmallow extract ( at first he hated the Corn silk),
D Mannose, S. boulardii probiotic, Cosequin, Slippery elm syrup and CBD.

So far he is doing really well. I stopped the Marshmallow extract about 8 weeks ago and switched to Corn silk. At first he did not like the taste, but now he is ok. The key is to get it without alcohol. I give 7 drops, 2x a day. Yet during flares or until the kitty is stable, the dosage is 4x a day. I give slippery elm and cosequin 1x a day and D mannose if I suspect a UTI starting.

I watch his litter box habits like a hawk. I even at times have wireless cameras as I have 6 cats and I need to be sure he is urinating daily.

The CBD is also fantastic. It keeps his stress level down.

I really suggest the Facebook site if you do Facebook. I am not a Facebook person, but joined to get the information.

I am happy to share what I have learned as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you both.
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue . I joined that site yesterday. Still finding my way around as I wasnt on facebook before. The vet who is treating Buzz is dead against alternative meds, told me Metacam was fine to give as long as the cat doesnt already have kidney issues, dry food is fine and is not sure about long term life expectancy for him. Very reassuring. I would appreciate any and all advice.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stopped feeding dry food when he blocked 2+ years ago. I do a combination of home cooked and canned. I add extra water to every meal. My boy is not a big water drinker and water is so very important. Does Buzz drink much water?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see him drinking but I doubt he drinks enough. Since the weekend he is only on wet food in gravy and I add more water. I have noticed that he now urinates twice a day instead of once.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urinating more is great! It really will help to flush the kidneys and keep the bladder debris down. I also give a bit of a product called "Cat Sip". It's milk for cats. My cats get it as a treat 1-2x a week!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exhausting. He didnt urinate for 29 hour and at 3.30am today I was begging him to go, he went at 3.40am. Today he has gone twice since then
Now I am telling him to stay away from the litter tray, he's done enough for today. The poor thing cant win. Getting D-Mannose tomorrow. Thanks for asking.