Corn Scoopable Litter Surprise

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using a well known brand of corn based litter.But noticed even when it got slightly damp it turned green then black... My cat started not using it, peed elsewhere and had high anxiety...So I am not a fan of the clay so only choice left was the paper litter..Lo and behold he went and peed in it immediately. Have 2 cats with 6 boxes...Left a little of the corn based for the other cat but at least I gave the cat a choice and he seems so much happier.... Corn based litter I believe is causing his excessive itching and cleaning.Did go to the vet she didn't know. Did food elimination did not work....ITS THE LITTER and the corn..Esp it turns black so fast even in slight dampness....Just started this trial but for a cat to jump in the litter so fast and use it says something..Its going to be more work but I'm out to please my cat not myself

Elizabethriki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Idk if this might help you since it seems like you’re experimenting with different natural cat litters. We’ve been using pine pellets (see link below) from Tractor Supply and it has been amazing for us. We have only 1 cat and the bag lasts about 3 months (cost is $2 a month on litter for us). When our cat pees in it, it becomes sawdust. We got a sifting litter box and added plastic mesh to the bottom which we modified by cutting rectangles and we do an opposite sift. Whatever goes to the bottom we throw out (plus the poopy in the pellets of course) and it’s super easy to clean!

Tractor Supply Pine Pellet Stall Bedding, 40 lb. at Tractor Supply Co.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I had seen a mention of corn litter being susceptible to mold, out on the internet.

There is, --if you still need it, littermaid's corncob litter that doesn't have that issue, and their walnut litter is good too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty uses Littermaid without any issues. As with all things, there are brands and there are brands!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Corn litter is also also a prime attractant of mice who see it as a huge buffet. I was using it with an elderly cat who either didn’t see, didn’t smell or just didn’t care that she was sharing her litterbox with dozens of mice and it took several months to get rid of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have looked into everything will try along with the other (in order to fully replace the corn....is Grass seed litter and hopefully the paper pellets will be replaced with more granule pellets which are scoop able.. Did find it in a local store and online... No more corn nor dusty clay with Sodium bentonite (which I stopped using a long time ago) Seems new litters are coming that will take over the messy corn litter, I hope

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
After the worlds best mice fest we also switched to a paper based litter, Yesterday’s News. It works pretty well - the paper turns sawdust like when wet so you can sort of skim that out of the box which keeps the litter fresher longer.

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I bought the grass seed litter which is a lot like the corn and also got the paper which so many others are making.. I have 7 boxes with three different types and still have a little of the corn until I can get rid of that altogether. They seems to like the paper and the grass seed..So hopefully a big change will come. Also I feel my cat was peeing in spots and trying to tell me something.. He didn't like the Corn.. The other cat looked at me and said are those worms!! yesterdays news:):)..I am glad there are new alternatives out there as I will not use clay...Been there done that..

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do be aware that grass seed litters may attract mice, as well. However, a young, active cat might find that to be a real plus.

neme64

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are indoor cats and we have no mice where I am at now. But that being said when I lived in my old house had a box in the cellar as well of the corn. there were mice from the field in the house.. Never knew mice like corn. Learn more everyday...I will not touch clay, so limited. But yes mice will keep them on their toes...Interesting to know though..TY

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, walnut litter is another matter, as it is made from the shells. Just extra information to tuck away, "in case of."