Cooling pet beds

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever buy a cooling pet bed for your cat? If so, did the cat like it? What are your experiences?

I am looking into it for Sebastian. He's a black, long-haired kitty who tends to run warm as it is, and the summertime can be so uncomfortable for him. I do put the AC on, but where I live is old and doesn't circulate very well and the air is barely cool at best.

If you Google "cooling pet bed" there are many options that come up, although they are usually categorized under dog supplies. There are gel types and ones that you fill with water. This site has several: http://www.theuncommondog.com/Categories/Dog-Beds-by-Feature/Cooling-Dog-Beds.aspx

Thoughts?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cocheesie can't handle the heat. She howls her distress and pants like crazy. Black and long-haired. To make matters worse, she never leaves the 2nd floor. We would (and still sometimes do) cool her down by placing her belly-down on a large ice pack covered with a thin towel and wetting her with a facecloth and cool water. I mean really saturating. We would have to do this every couple of hours. We had a fan going, of course. It took her two summers not to be scared of it.

We ended up having to buy an air conditioner for her. The air conditioner is a floor model (our windows won't fit an a/c) and it doesn't work very well but it's all we could do. Even then, on very hot, humid days, we can only leave her for a few hours in case she heats up.

Our house is due for a new furnace this spring, so we are adding central air to the bill. Don't know if the old girl will last until the hot days of summer but we will be prepared if she does, and if not, we shall enjoy the central air in her honour.

I think the problem with a cooling pad would be keeping the cat on it long enough for it to be on benefit. My kid has a polymer neck scarf that works by dipping it repeatedly in the water. I'll have to ask him how long the coolness lasts. The scarf helps on hot summer days when he is out on the water. I would also be worried about punctures. The polymer cooling pad looks thick. What is inside it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to wipe Sebastian down with a cool, wet cloth, but he doesn't particularly like it. He does like the fan blowing on him, though. I'm not sure which cooling pad you are referring to. Some of them require that you put them in the fridge or soak in water, but this would not work. The ones that are filled with water or a gel are supposed to feel cool to the touch. This one might actually be something Sebastian would lay on: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24430

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cocheesie didn't particularly like the wetting process. There was no choice in the matter. We had to do it. Our other cat who is much hairier (see avatar) doesn't notice the heat at all.

I was looking at this one: http://www.theuncommondog.com/K9Koolee-Krate-Pet Cooling-System.aspx

I'd still be concerned about punctures -- then you'd be trying to figure out something to patch it with.

Cats are contrary. Your Sebastian may like it, or may not.