Cookie's pregnancy/kitten questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like her body is gearing up for labor.

Actual kitten formula (such as powdered PetAg, Royal Canin, GNC mixed to liquid) is good for her. She’ll need the extra calcium through her nursing days.

Apply coconut oil or petroleum jelly to her bum to guard against chapping.
Cimicat is actually a kitten milk powder that you can give to even new born kittens. I got it along the kit for the kittens.. incase they needed a top feed.
I'll put petroleum jelly on her bum but is it safe to use so close to her due date?
Also we live in UK incase you need to knew for recommending stuff.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, petroleum jelly is safe. Your kitten milk sounds fine. It is a brand that I am not familiar with.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, petroleum jelly is safe. Your kitten milk sounds fine. It is a brand that I am not familiar with.
Ok I'll apply it now. She's very restless at the moment. I'm keeping an eye on her. Her water is still not broken and I've not seen a mucus plug. No contractions either. It's 9.30 pm here and am I right in assuming that she won't have the kittens tonight?
Many thanks

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, cookie had 5 kittens this morning between 7:30-8:30 am. They all seem to be doing good. Cookie keeps panting. I don't know if she's done or not. Right now she's cleaning the kittens

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's had another 1 so 6 so far. The runt is only 54 grams.
They are trying to latch but not successful so far. Its just been 90 mins since they were born though. They are sleeping around mummy while she's cleaning herself.

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've not seen them latching yet either. They are just sniffing around mum's belly. Don't think they've spotted the teats yet. Should I intervene or let them be

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for them to be scattered like this and not feeding... sorry for so many posts and questions. I'm just really scared for the little bubbas 168086858600295.jpg
168086858600295.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put them all to a nipple and warm the tiny runt in a towel from the dryer or hot water bottle wrapped in a towel. Apply glucose sugar, honey, or sugar water to its gums for quick energy, then give a drop of kitten milk in the side of its mouth with a needleless syringe. Let it swallow, then another drop, until you’ve given 1/2 to 1mL. Do this every hour until baby seems stronger. If it still does not latch, feed 1-2mLs every 2 hours and stimulate to pee. Feed on its tummy.

C cookie-Dough

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Part 3: Six kittens is a big litter. Does Cookie seem to have 6 working nipples? If not, keep half the kittens warm in a separate box on a blanket with a heat source underneath (heating pad set on low or hot water bottle) with room to move off. Put 3 in with cookie to nurse. Switch off every 1-2 hours.

The runt should cuddle with its litter mates between syringe feedings until it is strong enough to nurse. C cookie-Dough

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Part 2: Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

The runt looks feisty! He can make it with your support! C cookie-Dough
I watched this video while I was waiting for replies. I managed to give him 1ml with a syringe
Cookie keeps licking him so I know she's not abandoned him. Their daddy is pacing outside the door but I've kept them separate. Cookie did go outside the door under my supervision for a quick hello to Romeo.
Right now all the kittens are scattered on the heating pad.
As I've managed to give him 1ml should I still put honey on his gums?
Cookie seems good as new and squeaky clean too now.
Also she keeps laying down on them, thn they cry and she's like oops and thn moves. Also I'm giving her Kitten milk too

Attachments

cookie-Dough

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Part 3: Six kittens is a big litter. Does Cookie seem to have 6 working nipples? If not, keep half the kittens warm in a separate box on a blanket with a heat source underneath (heating pad set on low or hot water bottle) with room to move off. Put 3 in with cookie to nurse. Switch off every 1-2 hours.

The runt should cuddle with its litter mates between syringe feedings until it is strong enough to nurse. C cookie-Dough
She does have 6 working nipples (if by that you mean the nipples that have milk pockets behind them)