Convincing landlord cat dander is removable?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have to move. :( We found a possible place to move, and the landlord is open to cats IF we can provide her with studies and information on ways to remove cat dander, specifically from carpets. Basically just proof that it is possible, that once she lets cats into the property it can be returned to how it was prior to cats. (though who would want that? : p )

She'd like it to be a commercial service that can do this . . . anyone have any experience with this / know of anything like what I am looking for?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd think the bigger problem is air ducts, and I know there are commercial operations that clean air ducts.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lavishsqualor lavishsqualor might know of something or just have an opinion of the fussy landlord.

A professional cleaning service can thoroughly clean the place including air ducts and whatnot if at some point in the future you move out and return the place to whatever "pre-cat dander" condition the landlord wants.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's one bizarre landlord, that's for sure. I've never even heard of such a question.

But if you absolutely have to rent from this particular landlord, ccw321, my suggestion is that you find a reputable commercial carpet cleaning company in your area and speak to them. They might have information they can provide you in writing about their services being able to eliminate pet dander. Perhaps you could even prepay such a service and it give your potential landlord.

At the risk of saying too much . . . honestly, if it were me, I'd be looking for another rental option. Most private landlords are used to dealing with pets, so they generally require a pet deposit which is fine. But asking for studies on "cat dander?" I'm sorry but that just strikes me as a clear-cut sign that your potential landlord is, as a friend of mine would say, "half a bubble off plumb."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there were a few more specifications for things I had not encountered in a decent time of renting at this point - (they do not maintain A/C and W/D units, because if those break they are likely our fault?). I called and asked re: cats, because dogs were okay but cats were not and her response was to request research on removing cat dander.

It's not an ideal location, so we'd hope to find something else - but we are in a rural college town and housing does happen to be in demand. It's pretty common for entire rental companies to say "no pets" as a general rule here.

A part of me wants to find info just so if this landlord ever has prospective renters with cats again, she isn't informed by this bias of 'cat dander is impossible to remove.' So, may look into commercial carpet / air duct cleaners briefly. Thank ya'll for your suggestions and lavishsqualor thank you for your insights!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
they do not maintain A/C and W/D units, because if those break they are likely our fault?).

The landlord is required to maintain the HVAC system and in-unit laundry, as well as kitchen appliances such the stove and fridge and dishwasher, possibly garbage disposal too. You can look up renter laws in your state to see what the landlord is required to maintain in the apartment and actions you can take if a landlord fails to maintain or repair broken equipment within a certain amount of time after your written request.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of you think that's bad get a load of this. When we were looking for a new place, we made sure to narrow our search to places that said cats ok. Three different places that listed yes to cats told us "no pets" once we called them. The second time this happened, my husband got mad and asked why they listed pets ok then said no pets and the person said "people will get rid of their animals for the right place". 😠

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The landlord is required to maintain the HVAC system and in-unit laundry, as well as kitchen appliances such the stove and fridge and dishwasher, possibly garbage disposal too. You can look up renter laws in your state to see what the landlord is required to maintain in the apartment and actions you can take if a landlord fails to maintain or repair broken equipment within a certain amount of time after your written request.
Well, that is good to know, LTS3... The A/C is just two window units, not sure if that's different - but I will be sure to look up the state renter laws re: washer/dryer. I thought that was really unusual. Thank you!

Neko-Chan's mama, that is horrible! :eek:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the window A/C units come with the apartment, it is the landlord's responsibility to maintain them. If the laundry is in the apartment or you are allowed access to the laundry area that is in another part of the building, then the landlord is also required to maintain the washer and dryer.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That landlord tenant rights booklet through the HUD link is super helpful.

We are rethinking this moving thing, possibly. Work in progress. We were informed Friday our current house is being put on the market. We were in the lease renewal process since current lease ends in July, and the company called to ask if we still wanted to renew given the information. Lease gives us 60 days if the house actually does sell, which seems a reasonable amount of time to find something and move if need be. We are hoping to be here for just one more year anyway, so it would sure be nice if we could stick it out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that you are walking into something with this potential landlord, maybe more than just dander, and if another option is available that would be preferable.

Dogs are potentially way messier than cats.....so I find that odd.

If you do this, as for carpet cleaning, I have used Stanley Steemer for pet related cleaning.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I called and asked re: cats, because dogs were okay but cats were not and her response was to request research on removing cat dander.
slowblink slowblink -
Ask her, "Well, how does she remove the dog dander, if dogs are allowed in the rental?! Do dog owners have to provide 'dog dander research', if you, as a cat owner, have to provide 'cat dander research'?!"

Pet dander is pet dander.

I'd just avoid renting with this landlord. :headshake:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
slowblink slowblink -
Ask her, "Well, how does she remove the dog dander, if dogs are allowed in the rental?! Do dog owners have to provide 'dog dander research', if you, as a cat owner, have to provide 'cat dander research'?!"

Pet dander is pet dander.

I'd just avoid renting with this landlord. :headshake:
No, sorry about that but cat dander is a more likely allergen.

The stuff about not maintaining the AC and washer/dryer is a red flag, however. Even if you can use the law to force this landlord to live up to her legal responsibilities she's notified you up-front that she's a bad landlord. I'd put this particular house in my "Consider only as a last resort" column if I were you.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of you think that's bad get a load of this. When we were looking for a new place, we made sure to narrow our search to places that said cats ok. Three different places that listed yes to cats told us "no pets" once we called them. The second time this happened, my husband got mad and asked why they listed pets ok then said no pets and the person said "people will get rid of their animals for the right place". 😠
That's just disgusting.

Also, when traveling with a cat I've found hotels that said "Pets okay" on their website and then informed us when we arrived (WITH a reservation) that "pets" meant "dogs," not "cats."

Margret