Convincing BF that microchipping isn't evil...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are compromising with him - shows a good relationship. You do not want to be doing things behind each other's back. I think the collar would be the best compromise for everyone.

Like I said - I've owned cats all my life (mixed and purebred) and never had one escape, get lost, get stolen, etc. I won't put a collar on them and I won't microchip.

Besides, I show cats and most collars will leave a collar mark around the neck - something you shouldn't have in the show ring

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But many do escape, get lost or stolen. Then there are natural disasters, like Katrina. Buildings catch fire. Floods and tornadoes happen. Not trying to be a wet blanket here, just realistic. Just because it hasn't ever happened to one person, doesn't mean it cannot happen to another at some point.

Collars are good, unless you have a show cat, I suppose. I don't show so that really never entered my mind. Cat collars are meant to be break-away so there is a chance that they could lose the collar and no one would know where they belong. I do know that the little cat I had would still be with me if she didn't have a chip. Just my experience

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never said it would not happen - yes all those things could happen; but for me it never happened so that's my feelings regarding collar/microchipping

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about making a deal with your man? If both of you can train the cat in a defined about of time (let's say 4 weeks) to stay away from the door - if you see improvement by then, I'd say keep it going until it's a sure thing - then you won't get them microchipped.

If you cannot get the kitties to stay away from the door within this stated amount of time then you get the microchipped.

See if that works. That way it's not just on you. It's a join effort.

Both of my kitties are microchipped. Merlynn was microchipped when she was spayed and Piccolino was microchipped by the rescue group I adopted him from. Better safe than sorry is how I look at it.