Convenia troubles

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone:

So just looking for support. I have an 18 year old Cat who has stable CKD (the last labs were done yesterday) dealing with tooth reabsorption. He has been dealing with a lot of pain, so he received a pain transdermal on the back of his neck and a convenia injection to slow down the infection. I also was going to try some hibaclens as well for outside of the teeth to see if that could help get rid of the bacteria. We talked about this plan and then I bought the meds.

At first he was fine- but the second day he started limping and hiding, eating less. Now I can only get him to eat very little. He is also urinating. Had one bowel movement but he is in so much pain in his legs that he sat in the bathtub and was all wet to drink water. This is now day 4.

The only thing I warned about with Convenia was the kidney issues, not all of this. I am so worried because after all of this - $431 later - I STILL will have to get rid of his teeth anyway. The vet doesn't want to do it either ( remove his teeth ) because I dont know if he can take it.

How long generally did those who used convenia with these side effects see this to get better?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,

Honestly, if this were my cat and I saw his reaction/behavior that you descibed, I would take the risk. There is anesthesia that can be used specifically for older cats.

My 17.5 year old cat had two resorptive teeth and I had them removed. It's just too painful for them, and ruins any quality of life.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he received Zorbuim.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a young cat who reacted to Convenia, but I am going to agree that you have two medications administered concurrently, so the transdermal could also be at play here.

When I spoke to Zoetis about Convenia, they told me that most side effects occur within the 14 day window despite the long lasting quality of the drug.
Contact Zoetis Animal Health | Zoetis
If you want to speak to Zoetis directly, this is the contact.

My boy did not appear to be in any pain, just incredibly lethargic and shut down and he spent a return visit at the vet's receiving support.

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, what did the vet do to support your cat?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He put him on subQ fluids and syringe fed him briefly. IMO, what he had was the extreme lethargy that can accompany Convenia, but he was literally comatose in his bed.

He was given Convenia for a UTI and stud tail (despite being a neutered indoor pet) but had no other medical history.

Have you contacted your vet? I would at least let them know what you are observing, possibly speaking directly to the vet.

axeptwjoy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there everyone,

So $987 later ( emergency vet visit) because he wasn't eating, he is doing better. I am cleaned out with money so now I have to resave so he an have dental surgery. He received an injection ( not adequan, the other one- once a month). I saw results that same day.

I am sad that Otis seems to be in pain, I have him on transdermal gabapentin for his mouth and arthritis. He has a very comfy window in the meantime.