Convenia side effects?

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo (16yo, hyperthyroid and CKD) went to the vet yesterday morning for a follow-up after starting sub-q fluids. She peed outside of her litterbox twice in the past 2 days, which she has never done so the vet suspects she has a UTI. I know the use of Convenia is controversial but unfortunately my husband wasn’t aware of that and allowed the vet to give Echo an injection because his thought was he didn’t want to have to add yet another medications to her routine. As a side note, she also had Convenia in May while hospitalized and was fine (she had it 2 days before she came home.)
She was fine all day yesterday, eating normally. Today her appetite has reduced a lot and she just seems to be very sleepy. I wouldn’t call it lethargic, just more periods of very deep sleep like she is exhausted. I’m wondering if this could be from the Convenia and if so, how long it should last. I know the med is supposed to work on infections for 2 weeks and stays in the system longer but do side effects normally last just as long? I’m mostly worried about her appetite because we have worked really hard to help her gain weight in the past 3 months and she can’t afford to backslide.

Last edited:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have an allergic reaction to Convenia and it does affect them for a few days.
I have banned my vet from ever giving my cat Convenia after he got a shot and was sick for days after but those side effect you are asking about doesnt sound right, its to long for the Convenia to be having an effect...i would be going back to the vet for a checkup.