convenia injection- i'm afraid for my kitten

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey all sorry for the long post ahead, im drowning in this situation and i feel so defeated and scared for my baby at this point.

my 6 month old phoebe has been battling this mysterious reaction for almost 3 months now, i have other threads where i go into more detail but i'll debrief a bit here for ease of understanding.

she has always had some sneezing, but she also squints so my first vet diagnosed FHV and gave me lysine for her, which she gets twice a day. in november, she randomly presented hyperesthesia like symptoms one night- itching and biting herself all over, chasing her wagging tail, agression and paranoid behavior. it went on like this for days, until they randomly just kind of... stopped. this has happened multiple times, she'll get crazy and itchy for like a full day with no relief, and it'll slowly taper off until shes fine again. over time she started chewing and flicking her feet as well. every vet ive seen (3-4 at this point) has said the same thing. suspected flea or food allergy to chicken or poultry.

fleas have been totally ruled out, i did a flea bath and combed and saw nothing and no vet has ever seen any (plus they get revolution plus every month). so i turned to food. the trials have been incredibly difficult because not only is finding chicken free/food not contaminated by chicken with same line use difficult all on its own, but they are they still babies so their food options aren't really the most abundant. we did try a hydrolized diet, but she refused to touch it. safe to say ive been trying the best i can.

i went to a new vet who gave her convenia and and vetalog for the itching and the sneezing (we started the hydrolized this day too). she did okay the first time, she was maybe a little lethargic and had little appetite but i dont really remember anything serious happening. however the sneezing and itching virtually stopped after day one. i almost forgot she even had this problem i was so relieved. until about a week ago when the injections wore off. back to square one- itching and sneezing so aggressively, and i couldnt do anything to help because i still dont really know what to do.

so i call the vet, and we get in two days ago for another appointment. he says the same thing- still thinks its a food allergy. he suggested food testing again, and just to keep her from getting these flare ups and because it seemed to work last time, he gave her another round of both injections and sent me home prednisolone. i havent given the prednisolone yet because to me, it seems counterproductive to give steriods while food testing if the steroids are supposed to relieve the allergy symptoms anyway.

but over the last two days she's been lethargic which i guess is to be expected, and hiding a bit (she is currently snuggling on me so shes not too done with interaction at least) in my bedroom. her appetite has basically been non existent again, but worse than before. i had to feed her out of my hand last night just so she would eat. as im writing this, im realizing she might not have eaten the hydrolyzed food because of her first injection too (she didnt even really eat her normal food for a couple days after i stopped the hydrolyzed) though im not totally sure. even worse, shes still itching all over so i fear this injection was all for nothing.

i started looking online and safe to say im anxious as all hell... i didn't know convenia was such a toxic medication, and shes had it twice! and shes only SIX MONTHS! im getting deeply afraid ive made a mistake here letting this vet talk me into these injections, and ive just read so many horror stories of beloved pets dying from this.

i got the dr.mercola's and its coming on monday, but god does anyone know what else i can do in the meantime/at the same time to help? after all we've been through, i cannot lose her to my own stupidity. she's such a sweet and loving girl, i would never forgive myself. if anyone can help, please do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - take a deep breath first. Not every cat has a bad reaction. Can you see another vet?

Can you continue to handfeed her, a lot, so that she's getting nutrients as well as hydration? She's six months, so she should be able to eat food that is All Life Stages, which will broaden your options for finding chicken free food.

shes still itching all over
Also, try unflavored chamomile tea or coconut oil, on a brush and groom her all over. Either should help ease her discomfort a little.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not your own stupidity; Convenia is a widely used medication, despite adverse side effects. I only used it once and the cat in question completely shut down a couple of days later. He was taken back to the vet and given support and recovered from it. That is one option. If the vet you are seeing is determined that there is no side effect, you might try to find another one, as was suggested. If this seems dire, go to the ER.

Zoetis
It sounds as if you have been reading, but if not, this is gives you the package inserts that accompany the product.

Contact Zoetis Animal Health | Zoetis).
You can report an adverse reaction to Zoetis here. They will give you a case number and discuss reactions that your cat is having.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - take a deep breath first. Not every cat has a bad reaction. Can you see another vet?
okay yes you're right, the combo of everything is really just stessing me out :sniffle: she's already seen four different vets at this point, but i can try to look for another. i live in a smaller town so i dont know many options i have sadly

Can you continue to handfeed her, a lot, so that she's getting nutrients as well as hydration? She's six months, so she should be able to eat food that is All Life Stages, which should open your options for finding chicken free food.
i should've written this better in my post but she is hungry, she cries at my feet while i make the food. i leave dry food out all day and ive tried giving her all 5 wet options i have but she just sniffs, flicks her feet, then walks away. i just fed them lunch and even with hand feeding she isnt eating hardly at all, she maybe ate like half a tablespoon then she ran away :( i will keep looking at all life stages food, maybe im just not seeing all the options??

Also, try unflavored chamomile tea or coconut oil, on a brush and groom her all over. Either should help ease her discomfort a little.
okay i will definitely grab one of those, thank you so much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she's already seen four different vets at this point, but i can try to look for another.
Oh dear.
How do you feel about this vet, or the others? You could possibly do as some members have and request a note to be put on her file that you don't want convenia used? What about Halo, or possibly Merrick?

Last edited:

CodyMolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Kitty should be okay. Listen I am not a vet but have lots of experience with cats I have 7 cats and 2 dogs. If this is itching your cat must be loosing hair too. I had a cat like that and my vet never gave antibiotics but.. predisolone and that didn’t stop the itching for my cat. Although it can help other cats. What saved my cat was literally bald from licking and scratching Was “chlorpheniramine “ ask your vet to prescribe you that…. My shadow was on it everyday and all the itching and licking stopped. I went through the food thing too but that was a failure.. chlorpheniramine was my saved medicine. Definitely ask your vet they may stop the pred.. and just put on this. It’s an allergy pill . My dog is on it for years too and my new feral cat. My feral cat had all little red spots from licking and previous put on pred too and that didn’t work. Chlorpheniramine helped this kitty too. Please ask to help you and the cat! Good luck I have good vibes that it will help!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It might not even be the Convenia that is causing her lack of appetite. That Vetalog can cause loss of appetite too. And just for the record, I've had cats take Convenia several times with no ill effect. Many people have. Not saying that there haven't been cats given it with disastrous results, but I think every medication can have terrible side effects.

Have you tried giving her some plain baby food meats? Gerber Stage 2 should work. Ham might be good since in some of your others posts you said the Vets think she might have a beef as well as chicken allergy. Turkey might be a 2nd choice but I'd try ham first if you can find it. It's not 100% nutritionally complete, but might jump start her appetite.

As far as foods go, what happened to your thought about trying to make their food? There are several companies who make premixes that you mix with your preferred meat, so you don't even have to worry about bones, organ meats, etc. I used to make my guys food from scratch and never invested in a grinder, etc. because I served them chunks of meat versus ground meat. I used a premix and made a kind of gravy out of it and just mixed it all up together. If you make your own you can use whatever meats you want and can source, but NOT from a grocery store. I originally bought my meat from Hare Today, and they shipped all the way from Pennsyvania to me in AZ. Then I joined a local B.A.R.F. group and that worked out even better and less expensive since I didn't need to pay for shipping. Now that I only have one cat who eats raw consistently, I don't make his food anymore but feed him freeze dried. It's more expensive, but also more convenient. And I gained a whole lot of freezer space! Anyway, FoodFurLife (premix) has chicken liver in it, but in their FAQ they address chicken allergies, and a lot of us here at TCS are familiar with the owners and can vouch for them. Personally, I used Alnutrin as my premix (this was before FoodFurLife was in existence). And there are other companies listed in our Raw and Homemade forum if you're interested in pursuing this avenue. Plus there is commercial frozen raw if you wanted to start there.

As an aside, WHAT are you getting from Dr. Mercola that arrives on Monday? AND, how is Phoebe's brother doing?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do you feel about this vet, or the others? You could possibly do as some members have and request a note to be put on her file that you don't want convenia used? What about Halo, or possibly Merrick?
I actually prefer this vet over the others despite this situation. And I honestly wouldn't fault him for it because I didn't put the pieces together first and I did say she was fine. My first vet kind of ran me in circles for treatment and eventually after spending hundreds of dollars there, they just told me to go to a neurologist. I can definitely call my current vet and let them know about the reaction she's having to everything though. Today, especially tonight, I've seen that she is swallowing a lot also, which is not exactly inspiring confidence :/
She currently eats some Merrick flavors, though the only pate I've found that doesn't overtly have chicken of some form is their cowboy cookout flavor (beef). I haven't tried halo though, I will look them up thank you!

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Kitty should be okay. Listen I am not a vet but have lots of experience with cats I have 7 cats and 2 dogs. If this is itching your cat must be loosing hair too. I had a cat like that and my vet never gave antibiotics but.. predisolone and that didn’t stop the itching for my cat. Although it can help other cats. What saved my cat was literally bald from licking and scratching Was “chlorpheniramine “ ask your vet to prescribe you that…. My shadow was on it everyday and all the itching and licking stopped. I went through the food thing too but that was a failure.. chlorpheniramine was my saved medicine. Definitely ask your vet they may stop the pred.. and just put on this. It’s an allergy pill . My dog is on it for years too and my new feral cat. My feral cat had all little red spots from licking and previous put on pred too and that didn’t work. Chlorpheniramine helped this kitty too. Please ask to help you and the cat! Good luck I have good vibes that it will help!
That's what's weird... neither she nor my other kitten has lost hair at all! I mean, Milo is a long hair so he does lose some little chunks when they play but neither has any thinning hair anywhere or bald spots that I can see. I'm not sure if that reveals anything about what's going on or if that changes anything? But I've actually never heard of chlorpheniramine, I will definitely ask my vet next time since it worked well for y'all, thank you for the advice!!

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might not even be the Convenia that is causing her lack of appetite. That Vetalog can cause loss of appetite too. And just for the record, I've had cats take Convenia several times with no ill effect. Many people have. Not saying that there haven't been cats given it with disastrous results, but I think every medication can have terrible side effects.
Ah, I didn't even consider the Vetalog but that's true, she did get it both times. And you're right, I think I let one thread on here get really into my head about it and I got extremely paranoid for a moment there :sweat:

Have you tried giving her some plain baby food meats? Gerber Stage 2 should work. Ham might be good since in some of your others posts you said the Vets think she might have a beef as well as chicken allergy. Turkey might be a 2nd choice but I'd try ham first if you can find it. It's not 100% nutritionally complete, but might jump start her appetite.
I haven't tried any baby food, I didn't even know/consider that was an option actually. Walmart near me does carry the ham so I can definitely grab some! How would I go about using it? Like as a topper or just like a treat until I can get her eating her normal food?

As far as foods go, what happened to your thought about trying to make their food?
I'll be fully transparent, I was mostly just a bit scared and unprepared to start raw for a few reasons (I will admit some are stupid). I think because they've been free-feeding dry food (they get a few wet meals throughout the day) I was holding back a bit because with everything going on I wasn't sure if the possible stress of switching their food routine would be helpful at that time, though as I say it, it sounds a bit stupid. And just surface level without trying anything, it seemed a bit daunting for me with all the percentages and supplements and everything. Though again, sounds a bit stupid because so many people feed raw that it can't be that complicated. Other than my problems with the kittens, I've also just had a number of bad things stack up in my personal life that really prevented me from being able to put in the dedicated time and money needed for educating myself and starting raw food. It's definitely not off the table though, I would like to eventually get to raw. I will save all the brands/info you've posted here so I can use it in the future, thank you!

As an aside, WHAT are you getting from Dr. Mercola that arrives on Monday? AND, how is Phoebe's brother doing?
I was getting the Dr.Mercola complete probiotic supplement because I saw a few people recommending it on this site and in a facebook group about convenia and its bad side effects. If she's fine, I might not even use it. But if it's a probiotic it shouldn't hurt right?
And as for Milo, he is actually doing fine. He does share some similar symptoms to Phoebe like the back rippling, itching, and sneezing. While it's obviously irritaing him, it's nowhere near as bad as Phoebe, her symptoms are almost debilitating and incredibly difficult to watch. Milo also got the first round of convenia (no vetalog because he doesn't hardly as much as Phoebe) and he didn't have any kind of reaction at all. And because his symptoms aren't as severe, he also didn't get the second convenia, but I was told to use the prednisolone for him too. The only thing that was odd was a couple of weeks ago he coughed a few times, most of those times were after eating and/or drinking and he's basically a vaccum sometimes so I wouldn't doubt that he choked a little bit. He always has a whole bunch of energy though, so I would notice if he was off in any way, but he really hasn't been.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one cat who reacts to Revolution with hyperesthesia symptoms. It's the scariest thing for us, so we stopped applying it. Something about an ingredient crossing the brain barrier.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m sorry your going through this, believe me I’ve had more than my fair share of kitty skin allergies. It’s frustrating because there’s no definitive answer to any of it which means your stuck in a really stressful loop of symptoms getting in the way of the cure. Rethink about holding off on prednisone its an unused option, it might put food testing back but it will help phoebe feel better right now. Something worth remembering is kittens may look small and fragile, but they’re tougher than pretty much most species of infants on the planet, including us.

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who reacts to Revolution with hyperesthesia symptoms. It's the scariest thing for us, so we stopped applying it. Something about an ingredient crossing the brain barrier.
That's so weird! How long after the revolution application did you notice the symptoms?

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m sorry your going through this, believe me I’ve had more than my fair share of kitty skin allergies. It’s frustrating because there’s no definitive answer to any of it which means your stuck in a really stressful loop of symptoms getting in the way of the cure. Rethink about holding off on prednisone its an unused option, it might put food testing back but it will help phoebe feel better right now. Something worth remembering is kittens may look small and fragile, but they’re tougher than pretty much most species of infants on the planet, including us.
Ah you're totally right :cringe: I definitely treat them with kid gloves sometimes, I'll admit I can be a bit of an overworrier (it definitely shows in my original posts lol) but I can definitely start the prednisolone tomorrow! Thinking long term as well, food testing has been pretty costly and I can't necessarily afford it at the moment, so it's been making the stress of the situation much worse. It might just be for the best if I put it off for a while until I can get on my feet. Thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If anyone is still watching/sees this post: I've seen online that fish oil/omega 3 supplements can really help kitties with very dry skin. Would that be a good idea to help this situation some? If so, does anyone have any brand recommendations?

Also: as I mentioned in another response, they currently free feed dry food (Hill's kitten chicken flavor that they had at the shelter). I know they are still growing so I definitely don't want to stunt them in any way, but given the situation would it be best to wean off and go to only wet meals? I do wonder if maybe some of the dry skin is attributed to them eating so much dry food (and it would honestly help food testing whenever I do start). I WFH so I have no problem doing more meals to supplement their sporadic eating, but any input?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
AS far as feeding baby food, just offer it to her like regular wet cat food. Hopefully she will take an interest in it and chow down. If she does, great! This may jump start her appetite. It's ok to feed this and only this for a couple of days if she doesn't then move over to her regular food. If she doesn't eat it at all, then nothing is lost other than a few dollars. You can also use it as a topper if she likes it and continues to not want her regular food.

As to raw food, I started out by buying frozen already prepared commercial raw food. No supplements or anything are needed. Just thaw and serve. The only thing I needed to do was first get them off free feeding kibble and onto timed meals of wet food only. THAT was a big deal :lol:! And I was working with four cat at the time, aged 1 - 13. But we did it and then started with the raw food. At first they had no clue what the raw food was, so I had to take it and make little tiny meatballs out of it and roll each one in crushed freeze dried meat. For instance, I think I started out with turkey, so I used freeze dried turkey as my topper to cover each little meatball. Finally I got to the point where I could just sprinkle the bowl of food with the topper. Then I moved on to other proteins. I finally decided why not make my own, using a premix? That way I still didn't have to worry about whether or not I was missing any nutrients, although there are plenty of recipes out there that tell you exactly how to prepare a batch of food. I just didn't trust myself. And now, as I probably mentioned, I just feed freeze dried raw because only one cat eats it as it is supposed to be served, which is rehydrated in warm water. But my other cat does eat it in the dehydrated form as treats, so if your cats are free fed now, they could actually eat it that way. But it's pricey. (the freeze dried) The good thing about raw is that for allergic cats it's supposed to be very helpful. If you decide to go this route, I would suggest rabbit. Stella and Chewy make freeze dried rabbit, and then you could find a different brand of frozen or continue with S and C. There are several brands that make frozen rabbit, just make sure it's 100% nutritionally complete, not just the meat, organs and bones ground up. Brands like Instinct, Vital Essentials are going to be nutritionally complete. And don't be thrown off by the fact there are fruits and vegies in the raw...it replicates what would be in the stomachs of what they would be eating if it was still alive :paranoid:

We tried the Dr. Mercola probiotics once and my cats didn't like it. I called them about it and they told me to start out very slowly so they would get used to the taste of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but my guys never really liked their food with it in there, even after I lessened the amount they were eating.

As far as fish oil, yes it's supposed to be great for skin issues. I can't recommend any specific brands, because once again, my guys hate every one I have tried. Even different types of fish...sardine,salmon, etc. But here is a search query where you can read what different people say on the topic: Search Results for Query: fish oil

Oh, and one of my guys used to cough every time he drank until he was about two years old. Scared me so much I even had the Vet check him for heart issues. Nothing. He apparently just didn't learn how to drink correctly.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Time to see a veterinary dermatologist. Don’t do anything else. Get a referral.
Re: fish oil. No. Many cats are allergic to fish.
Chicken is also a known allergen, as well as a ton of other crap they put in dry food.
To do an allergy diet trial, you need a novel protein source. Something the cat has NEVER had. Be it rabbit, duck, venison. You feed that canned and nothing else for three months. See if there is an improvement. During this time you don’t give anything by mouth other than the diet. Including, no supplements. One thing will throw off the entire trial.
The diet is a prescription diet. Many over the counter diets claiming to be rabbit, and costing a fortune have chicken or fish in them.

She is very young to be showing signs of a food allergy. Very young.

Take her to a veterinary dermatologist. They look at skin all day everyday. They have extensive training to identify skin issues and know what to test for.

I would not be comfortable with giving a 6 month old cat steroids.

If your cat seems I’ll other than the skin, ie not eating or lethargic, I would look for a feline only vet and get her seen. Bring all your information for her and tell the vet she was given vet along and convenes.