Convenia antibiotic injection

V.Semianiw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

P.S English is not my first langague!

My cat Tein, 19 year old got a eye infection couples week ago, got drops from the vet, explaining to us that maybe my new kitten give her cat herpes, did a full bloodtest for basically everything, test come back that she is very healthy for her eye, even the vet was surprise. Couples days later didnt notice any change, call the vet again and they give us Enisyl-F. Her eye clear up after a week. Now last week, her nose started to block and she was having diffulty breathing, we bring her back to the vet, they did X-ray, the vet didn't like her heart rate, Test came back normal and basically said the my cat is fighting an infection and give her Convenia injection.. Now, my cat barely eats the first couples day after that, she just starting to eat a little more, she sleep all day, she walk like a drunk person, she only use the cat litter if I put her in, she only get up to drink water and go back to bed after that. We bring her back to the vet today because she didnt poop for 4 days, the vet told us she didnt have any poop in her, he was worry about the way she was just sleeping during the visite. Is it normal for my cat the sleep all day after this antibiotic? I just dont know what to do anymore and the vet have no idea what is going on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Your English is wonderful.

I know many people are big fans of Convenia, but I am not, and it's mainly because of the side effects you are seeing with your kitty. It's not normal and I now refuse to let any of my cats have it. It can cause severe tiredness and decreased appetite in kitties and that can last for 10-14 days, or even longer in some cases.

Most likely what happened with your kitty is that the stress of the new kitty caused Tein to have a herpes outbreak that showed as an eye infection. The stress of going to the vet most likely brought on an upper respiratory infection. Make sure your kitty continues to eat, drink, and use the litter box normally. Be careful if you go back to the vet and get any other antibiotics because Convenia can stay in the blood system for longer than 21 days and you don't want an interaction. You can search the forum for more experiences with Convenia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

V.Semianiw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I know many people are big fans of Convenia, but I am not, and it's mainly because of the side effects you are seeing with your kitty. It's not normal and I now refuse to let any of my cats have it. It can cause severe tiredness and decreased appetite in kitties and that can last for 10-14 days, or even longer in some cases.

Most likely what happened with your kitty is that the stress of the new kitty caused Tein to have a herpes outbreak that showed as an eye infection. The stress of going to the vet most likely brought on an upper respiratory infection. Make sure your kitty continues to eat, drink, and use the litter box normally. Be careful if you go back to the vet and get any other antibiotics because Convenia can stay in the blood system for longer than 21 days and you don't want an interaction. You can search the forum for more experiences with Convenia.
Thank you so much! I'm not going to give this antibiotics to my cat anymore and i'm going to google evething before give anything to my cat now. When we told the vet about the side effect of Convenia, he didnt believe us and he went to check that paper that come with the product. I was so mad.. Since the vet visite today she already eat 3 time between 3h30 pm and 7h00 pm, im hoping she will get better, it the first time that she's sick, she 19 years old and she never got sick before.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are many complaints about Convenia, but don't get upset if you read through these threads as many people successfully use Convenia. Remember that people ask for help when something goes wrong and do not necessarily bother to join sites just to say how wonderful everything is.

Convenia is used very commonly by those who maintain feral cat colonies, so a large number of cats have been given this with no reported problems.

My own experience was less than satisfactory and I won't allow it to be given. The cat in question reacted very much in the way that your cat is reacting with lethargy and inappetence. The vet who administered it assured me that he has never seen side effects with it; I have known him for years and frankly do believe that his experiences with it were normal. However, I returned my cat to the practice for a day's worth of supportive care and he slowly came around.

You can contact Zoetis and file a report with them, which I did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

V.Semianiw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are many complaints about Convenia, but don't get upset if you read through these threads as many people successfully use Convenia. Remember that people ask for help when something goes wrong and do not necessarily bother to join sites just to say how wonderful everything is.

Convenia is used very commonly by those who maintain feral cat colonies, so a large number of cats have been given this with no reported problems.

My own experience was less than satisfactory and I won't allow it to be given. The cat in question reacted very much in the way that your cat is reacting with lethargy and inappetence. The vet who administered it assured me that he has never seen side effects with it; I have known him for years and frankly do believe that his experiences with it were normal. However, I returned my cat to the practice for a day's worth of supportive care and he slowly came around.

You can contact Zoetis and file a report with them, which I did.
Thank you so much! We got back from the vet again, they give us Mirataz and also give her fluide injection. She didn't eat today yet but vet visite always stress her out but she drink water on her own. Im hoping she going to fight this off. Most people said it take 10 day for they cat to start feeling better, we are on day 5. I'm keeping a close eye on her.

terrimontes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Do you know what interacts with this nightmare covenia antibiotic wise?