Continuing On Without My Baby

paziqi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't been around here in years, used to lurk a lot. Other things drew my attention away, so I hope no one will mind my posting here now. There just isn't anyone around who I can talk to about this.

My baby boy, Tady Bear was diagnosed with CKD a little over a month ago. I had managed not to notice he had been losing weight until one day when he and my 'smallest' cat were both sitting on my lap, and I was petting both of them at the same time, and I realized then how skinny he was compared to her. I got him into the vet as soon as I could after that. He'd always been a grazer at meal times, so it never triggered any alarms for me when he didn't finish his food right away. It had been almost a year since his last appointment, though, and he had dropped from 10 pounds down to 7. Blood work showed kidney disease. He also had an infection, and there was the possiblity of some form of cancer... I can't remember anymore what that was. We didn't look further into that, because my vet doesn't have the equipment to, and they said it wasn't something we would be able to cure anyway. He was given B vitamins, which I had to administer over the next month as well, and put on a renal diet. All in all, things went pretty well, except he kept making me switch foods. He would eat brand A for a few days fine, then start refusing it. We'd switch brands, and repeat. A lot of the time I had to 'remind' him to eat; go find him, and offer him food. He almost always ate when I did this. His mood was good, though he wasn't putting on any weight. But he wasn't loosing anymore either.

Things changed last weekend. He ate well on friday, but then refused most food both saturday and sunday. He also was acting like he felt nausious, though he wasn't throwing up. I called in sick to work on monday so I could get him back into the vet's office. He was given fluids, and we put him on an appetite stimulant and anti-nausia medication. He did better monday night, but then didn't eat all day while I was at work on tuesday. I was able to get him to eat a lot after I got home though. He still seemed like he felt sick, but I was so hoping if we just got him over this hump, he would bounce back. Wednesday and Thursday he ate well, but still seemed dumpy. Friday I was home with him most of the day, and I also learned how to give him fluids. He was content in the morning, but things started to go downhill friday night.

He wouldn't eat on saturday. I sat with him in the morning, like we usually do, just petting him. He remained curled in a tight little ball, not sprawled out the way he would when he was happy. He purred a little, but it wasn't the contented purr he usually would do. I called the vet back, they gave me one last option to try, and I went to pick up another set of pills for him. They said if they were going to help, I would know in 24 hours. I thought I could give him at least that, but I also scheduled him for his last appointment on monday, if the pills didn't help.

I sat with him for the rest of saturday morning, and into the early afternoon. He remained on my lap for the most part, getting up occasionally to drink, or use the litterbox. Each time he would come back to me, and I was grateful that he still wanted to be with me, because I really wanted to be with him. He would not eat. His body language continued to tell me he was tired; maybe in pain. At one point, while I watched him sleep I felt relieved that he was sleeping. I thought, at least then, he would be unaware of his own discomfort. And it was that point that I knew it was time. I had been watching him go downhill all day, and just didn't want to admit it.

I waited a couple more hours, maybe still hoping? I don't know... definitely knowing I wasn't ready for this; but I called the vet's emergency number, since they were closed. I wasn't sure if they would consider this an emergency, but the on call vet was nothing but kindness. I got Tady Bear's blanket from his bed, because there was no way I was going to put him in his carrier and stress him out that way. He let me wrap him in it, and he laid on my lap while I drove him to the vet's office, only occasionally letting out a soft meow of discontent.

I still held some hope that I would get him there, and the vet would tell me no, it wasn't time. But she confirmed the signs I had been seeing, and agreed with me. I said my goodbyes, and stayed with him until he was gone, then for a little while after.

Now it is sunday. It has been less than 24 hours since I helped my baby to his final rest. I have 4 other cats, and they have been helping, but none of them are him. Sometimes, I feel like things are almost normal, and I can go on with my life. Other times I can't seem to find the strength to move one step in front of the other. I miss him. Oh, how I miss him. Every room holds his presence, but he is not there. Every action I take, he was my shadow. But my shadow is gone. Everything is the same here, and yet, everything is completely different. I am at a loss, and I cannot see how there can ever be a way through. I miss my boy. I am sorry I failed to see he was sick earlier than I did. I wish I could go back and do everything differently. I wish he was purring on my lap right now. I wish I had done better for him.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss! I lost my boy recently (it'll be two months in a couple of weeks), and your story is similar to mine in so many ways. Although I knew Denver was sick (we presumed with cancer of some sort, but never confirmed this) for longer than you seemed to know, the feelings of guilt, and of wondering if I took too long to recognize when he was really going downhill were very real for me, too. It took some time, but eventually I was able to realize that everything I did, even if it wasn't exactly right, was out of love, and eventually I was able to forgive myself. I hope the same happens for you. I only had one cat (and a dog, but he spends considerable time at my mom's), and the empty house made me feel uncomfortable. I ended up with another cat very quickly (And I was the guy who was never getting another cat!), and although she's not Denver (AT ALL!), she's been a great comfort to me. I hope you'll be able to find similar comfort in your other cats.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry to hear this but don't blame yourself. It's a very common feeling to think we messed up along the way but everyone knows about the oft used hindsight sayings. You did your best and that's all a person can do. I've been through it with cats and dogs and it's the empty 'no one can replace him/her' that's one of the worst emotions we go through even when we have other cats, dogs etc. to help lighten the pain. It shows how unique cats are in that an individual can't simply be replaced by another and that's why they mean so much to us and thus why we grieve badly for them.
Words can seem empty at such times but I know how you feel and in time I assure you the pain will lessen. You mention switching from everything seeming almost normal to it hitting you again. That is also a common feeling and part of the process and with time the 'feeling normal' will outgrow the sudden pangs of grief.
Others will reply with better words than I can muster to help you I'm sure.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very glad you came back here - there are so many that know and can understand what you're going through.

Keep in mind that cats are absolute, and incredible EXPERTs at hiding illness.

Your baby is at rest and at peace, thanks to your attention, love and generosity of spirit. You were there for him when he really needed you.

RIP Tady Bear, your pawprints are all over a heart and soul.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, please, don't be so hard on yourself. You knew it was time, he told you in so many ways it was time, you showed compassion and mercy in finding strength through your love to stop the suffering and a future that held nothing but more. There comes a time in every life that it is time to let go, it was your little boys time and there was no cure, no fixing it any more. He was not living anymore, he was existing.
Those feelings you are having are all part of grieving, of loss to your heart and home. Of course you will feel the emptiness, of course you will be in pain. You have a broken heart. But do you know what else you have? That sweet boy's everlasting gratitude and love. The bond you formed over the years can never be taken from you. Just as you shared your life journey with him, you also shared your souls. He is a part of you. I know how soul crushing this pain can be, I know how long it takes to get through it, to learn to live with the pain not let it take over your life. Time is the only thing that will dull the sharp edges, that helps you to use your precious memories for comfort not to bring pain by dwelling on the end. The end of life is not easy, the will to live is very strong. But the moment there is life there eventually will be death, it is the way of all living things. There is nothing we can do to stop it, but we can concentrate on the joy and the happiness that knowing these little angels brought to our lives, not make the death and the pain be more important than the life and the love we shared. You are so fortunate to have loved and known this little boy, you gave him what he wanted the most in this world so he can rest in peace......your love. You saw the love and the trust in his eyes, you made it better by understanding what he was trying to tell you, he had to go.
The new path he follows will forever parallel your own, until that one day when it will cross again. Until then, know he is safe, he is no longer in pain, and he will always have a secure place in a loving heart. He wants only happiness and joy in the life of the one he loves so much that was left behind, as we all want for those we love and care for. So don't let death win, don't let pain take over your own life.None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, but we are always guaranteed their love.
Take care of yourself, my thoughts and prayers go out to you in your time of need....... RIP Tady Bear, you will never be forgotten, you will be forever loved. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did everything right, it is normal for us to blame ourselves when we cannot heal them because we feel totally responsible for them which we are, but you did everything right, please know that and don't blame yourself, these things happen like this and we cannot save them despite all the vet care and love and money in the world, when it is their time to go they must go but it kills us and we think we will never get over it, but slowly, very slowly, we begin to deal with it and in time we can accept what happened, we don't like it one bit but we learn to live with it.

He is just fine now, relieved to be out of his pain ridden body, his spirit is soaring and he is just fine, no worries, and you will meet again one day and it will be wonderful...

I hope your heart heals a bit each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
CKD is an awful disease and many times, there just isn't anything more we can do but give them all the love and attention we can. You loved your boy as much as you could, and he knew that. I'm so glad you got to spend time with him at the end. You're in my thoughts. RIP, little Tady Bear. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paziqi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank you all for your kind words, and let all of you know they have been a comfort to me. I keep reading through them again and again, and it helps.

I have lost pets before; it has just never hit me this hard. I could not stay at work today; I could not stop crying. I have to go tomorrow. I am not sure how I will make it.

I closed the door to the entertainment room today, that is where he spent the majority of his time during the last month. I’m not sure how I’m going to survive without my computer and TV, but his presence is just too strong in there, I can’t be in there right now.

My other cats seem to be seeking me out. None of them are the cuddlers he was, but they are almost all always in whatever room I am in. It feels a little strange, since I am used to them being in there own special spots, but it is comforting as well.

I wait for life to start feeling livable again. I Know it will come, I just wish I knew when.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tady Bear, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

You gave your boy the most selfless gift of all, one that we can give our animals, but not our human loved ones. You gave him the gift of easing him from this Adventure into the Next Adventure. You upheld the trust he had in you and didn't allow him to suffer on. I know that right now the pain of his loss is still a tearing pain, but someday there will be more sweet memory to dull those edges. No other cat will "take his place," but your other cats are comforting you. They know, and they are there. So are we. You are not alone.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
After Sebastian died in my arms after coming home one day from work I was pretty messed up mentally, it hit me later, about 1 month after it happened, and my friend who works at a health food store told me about the herb Holy Basil which helps through stressful times; I tried it and it certainly did help, and I had no side effects and I am pretty sensitive to things like that, but it just helps you adapt to the stress and deal with it, it is still there but you can just handle it better. Perhaps that might help you too....just a thought.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything is the same here, and yet, everything is completely different.
This sentence says it all!
I know how painful it is, and I can tell you it will be painful for some time.
I hope that you find a new light in your life earlier than me, your other cats will help you to. It's been a year 5 days ago for me, but I'm still in the dark.

RIP Tady Bear, you were a special star in your Mom's sky!

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have lost pets before; it has just never hit me this hard.
I completely understand this! I felt exactly like this when Denver passed away. I was more emotional losing him than I've been over losing certain human family members. Part of me felt bad about this, but then I realized that Denver, too, was part of my family, and it struck me that unlike human family members, I saw him every single day (with the exception of times I was out of town) for the past 13 years. At that time, it all made sense.