Continue Raw While Doing Chemo And Radiation

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have had a major switch in my life, I have to begin 42 days of radiation and chemo beginning next week. I am concerned about handling raw, have any of you done this? I have decided to make and store 42 days of raw and my husband could feed in the morning before work and at dinner later, I am going to feed canned mid day. I just feel awful for changing their lives (the cats) like this.Just wondering if any of you have had to be cautious because of at risk immune system.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW my heart goes out to you!! and look at you, already going with the thought I had of having someone else handle the food. Or, you could show him how and/or supervise.....in any case, it doesn't sound to me as though you're changing much of anything in their lives - you so ROCK. The only thing I could think of, if you decide to make it all now and have the goods and the room, maybe make a few more days just in case your energy levels are really low after the therapy is done. I guess that's where I'm thinking maybe have your hubs videotape you while you make some and talk your way through the recipe/ingredients?, then he would be able to make some if necessary. We're sending TONS of good thought and prayers your way! :heartshape:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have had a major switch in my life, I have to begin 42 days of radiation and chemo beginning next week. I am concerned about handling raw, have any of you done this? I have decided to make and store 42 days of raw and my husband could feed in the morning before work and at dinner later, I am going to feed canned mid day. I just feel awful for changing their lives (the cats) like this.Just wondering if any of you have had to be cautious because of at risk immune system.
Don't feel bad! As Furballs' Mom said, you rock!! =)
I hope the radiation and chemo goes well.
Whatever you decide to do, please remember that canned food and dry food might be better for an immune system that is down, but it's not 100% hospital-sterile and any food you do feed, wash up really good after handling!
My raw fed kitties have been switched to canned food for weeks at a time due to whatever circumstances, and everyone has fared just fine!
I have no outside opinion or knowledge about the company(ies), but I know there are a few freeze dried and/or frozen brands that are HPP (high pressure pasteurized). I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind during your recovery. Maybe someone else with experience feeding these foods will add their experiences?
Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)

chandler49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad! As Furballs' Mom said, you rock!! =)
I hope the radiation and chemo goes well.
Whatever you decide to do, please remember that canned food and dry food might be better for an immune system that is down, but it's not 100% hospital-sterile and any food you do feed, wash up really good after handling!
My raw fed kitties have been switched to canned food for weeks at a time due to whatever circumstances, and everyone has fared just fine!
I have no outside opinion or knowledge about the company(ies), but I know there are a few freeze dried and/or frozen brands that are HPP (high pressure pasteurized). I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but it might be something to keep in the back of your mind during your recovery. Maybe someone else with experience feeding these foods will add their experiences?
Best wishes for a speedy recovery :)
Thanks, I have feed many HPP foods and, now that I think about it, it is the way to go. In the past couple of weeks I realize that dealing with raw food, it is almost impossible not to make at least a little mess.Tomorrow I will make about 42 days worth of raw and at least it will be ready, getting a couple cases of canned because, I know there will be days where that makes the most sense. I think I will pick up some HPP too. Thanks for reminding me this alternative exists.I do not want my cats health to suffer just because of me.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW my heart goes out to you!! and look at you, already going with the thought I had of having someone else handle the food. Or, you could show him how and/or supervise.....in any case, it doesn't sound to me as though you're changing much of anything in their lives - you so ROCK. The only thing I could think of, if you decide to make it all now and have the goods and the room, maybe make a few more days just in case your energy levels are really low after the therapy is done. I guess that's where I'm thinking maybe have your hubs videotape you while you make some and talk your way through the recipe/ingredients?, then he would be able to make some if necessary. We're sending TONS of good thought and prayers your way! :heartshape:
I think it is everyone ata TCS that rocks, only here will people understand how important my cats nutrition is to me, the thought of them getting kibble is nauseating. Not just them but the feral girl I have fed every morning for 4 years. I have been in the hospital a lot this month and I worry for her.My husband was feeding her but, not on my schedule. Also , he only gave her kibble. That upset me. Now I take my walker and walk to where she is (behind a local store) every morning and I sit and talk to her while she eats. So worried about all my cats, my family knows exactly how I feel about raw feeding but I am worried that if I don't get to live longer their good intentions will eventually go out the window.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t have an answer, but I do have hugs for you. :hugs: I’m sorry your dealing with this and I do hope treatment goes well. Please do consider starting a thread in the Lounge and keep us updated on how you are doing. TCS members are supportive about everything, not just cats. :hugs:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep talking to your husband, keep him in the loop of everything and don't leave him and everybody out of anything.
Also, know that although other folks do things somewhat differently than you do, as long as they have the information to work with, it'll get done :)
Oh, and a quick postscript, kibble isn't horrible. Some cats do just fine and live to a grand old age on it alone. My Big Guy gets both wet and dry. Not to worry, I promise, and try not to be too hard on your husband, you want him in this mix of everything with you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Best of luck to you as you travel down this path. I won’t sugar coat it, it’s a tough road to travel, and the recovery AFTER the chemo and radiation is tough as well. Basically because of fatigue

BUT, I also feed raw and have a weakened immune system and have never had any issues. I have used commercially prepared, which of course is the easiest, then when I switched to making my own I just wore throw away latex gloves like nurses wear. There is also dehydrated raw which works great and might work for your feral girl as long as she drinks well

Sometimes I worry too about what would happen to my guys if anything were to happen to me, but right now I’m on a 10 day trip while hubby is taking care of them and I just showed him the ropes before I left and he says it’s going great. I think he secretly enjoys feeding them because it brings them closer together :catrub:

Hope this helps

Again, best of luck :vibes::vibes::vibes:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have feed many HPP foods and, now that I think about it, it is the way to go. In the past couple of weeks I realize that dealing with raw food, it is almost impossible not to make at least a little mess.Tomorrow I will make about 42 days worth of raw and at least it will be ready, getting a couple cases of canned because, I know there will be days where that makes the most sense. I think I will pick up some HPP too. Thanks for reminding me this alternative exists.I do not want my cats health to suffer just because of me.
I looked it up real quick and the brand I used was Natures Variety, and both dogs and cats liked it. My only complaint was that it seemed a little bit bone heavy, but it's easy to add plain muscle meat in :)
Your cats sound extremely well loved and their needs and health seem to be top priority of yours! Just remember to take care of yourself, too!
Just as you or I or anyone else doesn't want their cats health to suffer due to our personal circumstances, our kitties are loving enough I don't think they would want their owners making their own health worse off with worry over them!! (Easier said than done, I know, I know... ::lol: )
I'm glad the HPP suggestion helped, and others suggested freeze dried too!
We've fed raw with canned in the same meal and it was always inhaled, so mixing and matching might be an option too if your home made stash runs a bit low.
Best of luck :grouphug:

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the radiation/chemo, my mother underwent it when I was in high school and I have nothing but respect for how positive she stayed throughout it. Hope it goes well for you, with as few side effects as possible.

As far as feeding raw goes, talk with your doctor about it. Explain how it's already made and in the freezer, and how it will be handled/who will be handling it when it comes to feeding time. Online advice can be helpful and all, but your doctor should definitely be kept in the loop of possible sources of illness or complications you're being exposed to at home.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the radiation/chemo, my mother underwent it when I was in high school and I have nothing but respect for how positive she stayed throughout it. Hope it goes well for you, with as few side effects as possible.

As far as feeding raw goes, talk with your doctor about it. Explain how it's already made and in the freezer, and how it will be handled/who will be handling it when it comes to feeding time. Online advice can be helpful and all, but your doctor should definitely be kept in the loop of possible sources of illness or complications you're being exposed to at home.
Very good advice. I am meeting with neuro oncology team on Friday. I will explain.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I looked it up real quick and the brand I used was Natures Variety, and both dogs and cats liked it. My only complaint was that it seemed a little bit bone heavy, but it's easy to add plain muscle meat in :)
Your cats sound extremely well loved and their needs and health seem to be top priority of yours! Just remember to take care of yourself, too!
Just as you or I or anyone else doesn't want their cats health to suffer due to our personal circumstances, our kitties are loving enough I don't think they would want their owners making their own health worse off with worry over them!! (Easier said than done, I know, I know... ::lol: )
I'm glad the HPP suggestion helped, and others suggested freeze dried too!
We've fed raw with canned in the same meal and it was always inhaled, so mixing and matching might be an option too if your home made stash runs a bit low.
Best of luck :grouphug:
Thank you! My cats are very well loved and cared for. I want that to continue throughout their lives.I often give them Primal FD Pork and provided it isn't hard as a rock they love it. I think mixing some raw with canned is a fine Idea. Thanks again.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hugs from me too. I totally agree with EmmiTemmi EmmiTemmi about discussing this with your doctor.

I volunteer in an organization that helps people with vaccination questions (for the humans). People sometimes ask about vaccinating with a live attenuated vaccine in a home where someone is going through cancer treatments. Our doctors always say that there is no one-size-fits-all on this. It all depends on the specific treatment as cancer treatments are not the same where it comes to suppressing the immune system. If yours happen to be more aggressive on that aspect, it could affect your decision about feeding the cats.

Your health does come first - your kitties need you healthy and there for them in the long run! As others have mentioned, kibble can also be contaminated with salmonella and other pathogens, so practice caution with that too. Canned is the cleanest of all cat foods and doesn't harbor pathogens due to the way the food is processed and packed.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I came back to my thread to thank everyone. I started my treatment on Feb 8th and finished on March 22. I feel ok, I am tired but keep exercising. Cats are ok. I just got a big order from HT, am making a ton of food as I begin chemo again on April 19th.This time it is just 5 days a month and 23 days off , for 6 moths to 1 year.My son went back to work at the Pet Food place where as a perk I had 50% off. I always loved that because they carry every major raw food, ( RadCat , Primal , S&C.etc.) Even on litter. Poor cats keep getting their lives thrown up in the air.Hoping I don't get sick during my new chemo, they are doubling the dosage.UGh.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came back to my thread to thank everyone. I started my treatment on Feb 8th and finished on March 22. I feel ok, I am tired but keep exercising. Cats are ok. I just got a big order from HT, am making a ton of food as I begin chemo again on April 19th.This time it is just 5 days a month and 23 days off , for 6 moths to 1 year.My son went back to work at the Pet Food place where as a perk I had 50% off. I always loved that because they carry every major raw food, ( RadCat , Primal , S&C.etc.) Even on litter. Poor cats keep getting their lives thrown up in the air.Hoping I don't get sick during my new chemo, they are doubling the dosage.UGh.
Thanks for the update! I hope you can re-cooperate before the next round and here's hoping you don't get sick. =(
The kitties seem pretty awesome in their own right; sometimes when life goes insane they are a lot more steadfast than we sometimes think they are.
Best wishes as always. Please check in when you can.:grouphug: