Contemplating Whether Or Not It’s A Good Idea To Get Three Male Cats From The Same Shelter.

Deg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to get 3 male cats from the same shelter. They were all described to love being around other cats. But, I’ve been asking around, and I’ve been warned that it’s probably a bad idea. I also heard that opposites get along better. So, I’m contemplating on whether or not I want to get a female. Is 4 cats too many, lol?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

I'm unclear as to why this would be a bad idea. Presumably these three know each other already, so that's one factor (of each cat not knowing the other at all) out of the picture for when you bring them home.

Granted you can still have redirected aggression occur from other animals outside your house/apartment after they've established their territory in your house, but that wouldn't be their, or your fault.

Oh, I see, I didn't fully read your post, I'm sorry. You already have one cat. That's the part that might be shaky and possibly why people are saying this would be a bad idea. Your cat is facing three new cats coming in to his/her territory. How your cat handles this is the over-riding factor and the only thing you should be concerned about.

Can you try a foster situation where if things go awry for your kitty you can return one, two or all three?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I'm probably the last person who should be replying, as I only have 1 cat, but I think you should definitely give it some serious thought before you commit to adopting 3 cats.

If they were all kittens, there probably wouldn't be too great of introduction procedure required. But as they are all adults, you would likely have to keep them all separated at first, and slowly introduce them to each other.

Do you have any pets right now? If so, you have to consider them as well.

Plus, of course, you have to consider whether you can afford to care for 3 cats, including any medical costs that might pop up.

Not trying to discourage you, but there is lots to consider before you commit to caring for multiple cats.

TCS has some articles with more info that might be helpful. Here are the links:

15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

The Multi-cat Household
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Good luck. Do let us know what you decide.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they already know each other and get along, it can work out just fine. Neutered males tend to be buddies. If they're adults and don't already know each other, that's kind of risky. It could probably be done but it would take a long adjustment period.

Females are somewhat more territorial than neutered males. One girl with 2 or 3 boys would probably be fine, if that's what you want. Again, if they're adults and aren't already friends, expect a long and complicated adjustment period.

Do you already have a cat at home?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site! I hope you enjoy it here.

If the three cats know each other already and like being with other cats, I don't think there would be a problem. I'm unclear about whether you already have a cat, but four cats are not too many. Most people these days have multiple cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Like what others said, if these 3 male cats already know each other then you will not have any trouble introducing them. Imagine you will be able to help 3 cats at the same time! Wow!

I suggest that you take these 3 male cats first. Taking in a female might cause an issue with the boys, even though they are already neutered.

Having the opposite gender of cats does not guarantee tranquility at home. My Brandy and Barley (female and male - neutered/spayed) do not get along together, nor are Brandy and Bourbon (both female).

Goodluck and I hope everything turns out well for you and the boys.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted 3 cats from the same shelter, and things went well. We did make sure that they tolerated each other before committing to them though. This shelter does not keep their cats in individual cages though, unless required for medical reasons. So most of the cats are used to being with other cats all the time.
We even had to leave one of them behind for about a month as he had ringworm and the shelter wanted to make sure he was healthy before letting him go. When we brought him home, by the next morning, they were all playing together.

Now, if you already have a kitty at home, that is a different story, as you will want to do a very slow introduction so you don't stress your resident out too much.
Is your resident kitty a male or female? Although there are exceptions, I have heard that males tend to get along with males much better than females with other females. So if your resident kitty is female, I would only bring home males, so she can stay "at the top". Females do tend to be more territorial.

If you have a resident kitty, could you bring only one home first to see how well he/she does with a new addition? You could always add the others later on if it goes well. I suggest this because of my recent experience, I know every situation is different, but as I said, even being separated for a month from the other two adopted did not phase any of them, and he fit in perfectly in less than 24 hours.

Are all the kitties neutered already? If not, I would do that immediately.

Whatever you decide, have fun with your new additions!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted 3 cats from the same shelter, and things went well. We did make sure that they tolerated each other before committing to them though. This shelter does not keep their cats in individual cages though, unless required for medical reasons. So most of the cats are used to being with other cats all the time.
We even had to leave one of them behind for about a month as he had ringworm and the shelter wanted to make sure he was healthy before letting him go. When we brought him home, by the next morning, they were all playing together.

Now, if you already have a kitty at home, that is a different story, as you will want to do a very slow introduction so you don't stress your resident out too much.
Is your resident kitty a male or female? Although there are exceptions, I have heard that males tend to get along with males much better than females with other females. So if your resident kitty is female, I would only bring home males, so she can stay "at the top". Females do tend to be more territorial.

If you have a resident kitty, could you bring only one home first to see how well he/she does with a new addition? You could always add the others later on if it goes well. I suggest this because of my recent experience, I know every situation is different, but as I said, even being separated for a month from the other two adopted did not phase any of them, and he fit in perfectly in less than 24 hours.

Are all the kitties neutered already? If not, I would do that immediately.

Whatever you decide, have fun with your new additions!!!!!!!
I currently don’t have any kitties. But, in the shelter I’m planning on adopting from. All of their kitties are usually around eachother a lot, as most are in the same room as one another. Do you think it’d be easier to introduce them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old are they? The younger the better, in terms of adaptability. Regardless of age, moving from a shelter to a home is going to take some time just for them to get used to their new surroundings. If they are all pretty young, you could probably confine all 3 of them to a single room and let them get acclimated to it. Once you see how they react, you can gauge when it would be appropriate to introduce them to other rooms, etc.

You could also ask the shelter if you can observe the 3 interacting together, if that is possible. If they seem OK, they would likely be OK with each other in your home - but, of course, a new environment could change that for one or more of them.

Perhaps, some information in these articles will help you - considering you are bringing home what I am guessing are 3 kittens. Some of it would apply to young cats as well.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think it’d be easier to introduce them?
Well, technically, they are already introduced.
You could go to the shelter and try to get them all to come to you and see how they interact while near one another. That's what we did when trying to decide who to take home with us. But if their personalities are already tolerant of others (and, many others if this shelter has a free roaming set up) you should be fine, just bringing them home.

I would however create a single room to bring them to so they are not overwhelmed being in a new home with lots of space and new smells. They will let you know when they feel comfortable to explore a little further.

For one of our new kitties, he flat out refused to stay in one room, and even found and brought us a toy to play with him within the first few hours. Our other was a bit more timid and stayed in her room for several days, only coming out when it was quiet in the house (she's fine now). And the third, who was brought home a month later started exploring (cautiously) that evening, and by morning was totally comfortable in his new home and the two boys were chasing each other and playing within a day. Both of them are also very respectful of our timid little girl, it's like they just know to be nice and gentile with her.

Deg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old are they? The younger the better, in terms of adaptability. Regardless of age, moving from a shelter to a home is going to take some time just for them to get used to their new surroundings. If they are all pretty young, you could probably confine all 3 of them to a single room and let them get acclimated to it. Once you see how they react, you can gauge when it would be appropriate to introduce them to other rooms, etc.

You could also ask the shelter if you can observe the 3 interacting together, if that is possible. If they seem OK, they would likely be OK with each other in your home - but, of course, a new environment could change that for one or more of them.

Perhaps, some information in these articles will help you - considering you are bringing home what I am guessing are 3 kittens. Some of it would apply to young cats as well.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Well, they’re all around the same age. 8-9 months.

Deg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, technically, they are already introduced.
You could go to the shelter and try to get them all to come to you and see how they interact while near one another. That's what we did when trying to decide who to take home with us. But if their personalities are already tolerant of others (and, many others if this shelter has a free roaming set up) you should be fine, just bringing them home.

I would however create a single room to bring them to so they are not overwhelmed being in a new home with lots of space and new smells. They will let you know when they feel comfortable to explore a little further.

For one of our new kitties, he flat out refused to stay in one room, and even found and brought us a toy to play with him within the first few hours. Our other was a bit more timid and stayed in her room for several days, only coming out when it was quiet in the house (she's fine now). And the third, who was brought home a month later started exploring (cautiously) that evening, and by morning was totally comfortable in his new home and the two boys were chasing each other and playing within a day. Both of them are also very respectful of our timid little girl, it's like they just know to be nice and gentile with her.
Do you think it’d be smarter to get them one at a time, or all at once?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My personal opinion - all at once. You've got 'one time' you will be getting them all used to your home, you, and each other. Otherwise, you are possibly dragging that process out multiple times.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, all at once, otherwise the first one will think it's his territory and may get cranky about bringing the others in. Much easier if they're all in new territory at once.

Observe them at the shelter to see which cats are bonded to each other, and try to pick that way. If one is female, that's OK too, but it's probably best not to get 2 females, unless they're very strongly bonded already. I mean, it can work---my mom has 6 female cats, all acquired separately---but it's just a little more complicated.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with everyone else, all at once, creates an even playing field, and you'll not have to worry about introductions (between the cats).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You do know that at their age, you need to be prepared (once they're acclimated) for a household full of chaos - but mostly fun chaos!!!!