Contemplating first Hare-Today order...would like advice!

m and ms mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!  My kittens also like Radcat chicken and turkey.  They will also eat Primal and a variety of wet food but the Radcat is their favorite, hands down!  I do want to try the Hare Today but I'm a bit nervous about it.  I looked at your order and I'm thinking that I will probably order something very similar to yours, although I don't have a lot of freezer space right now.  So, by ordering the grinds, it's just a matter of mixing in the Alnultrin after it thaws, then refreezing it in smaller proportions?  My kittens have been really healthy so far, no problems with either diarrhea, constipation or vomiting.  I'm impressed with how well they've done on the Rad Cat and nervous about trying something new.  Any advice regarding what worked or didn't work, would be great! 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So, by ordering the grinds, it's just a matter of mixing in the Alnultrin after it thaws, then refreezing it in smaller proportions? Any advice regarding what worked or didn't work, would be great! 
Yep. Only thing you might want to keep in mind is some cats really prefer Rad Cat over homemade. I don't know what RC does to their raw but something about it is very enticing, moreso than HT. Maybe because RC does a lot of taste testing before they release a product they know what cats like. My cats go nuts for RC. and like HT meats less, for whatever reason. They don't dislike HT, but sometimes I have to mix RC with HT meats to get them interested. If they had their way they'd get RC. 

m and ms mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's good to know missmimz!  I won't order a ton of it and see how they do with it. I have only been able to find the RC turkey and chicken locally.  I have tried Primal nuggets in rabbit and they liked it ok, as well as the pork.  But they can go through RC like no tomorrow :) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beth0612

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe I've had a setback. I mixed up the turkey (10 pounds!) and neither one of them will eat it. Their first taste was night before last when I had just mixed it and they ate it. Yesterday, however, Beatrice threw hers all up. And ever since yesterday's breakfast they just walk away from it.  I wasn't sure what to do Beatrice throwing up--I'd hoped it was just a fluke. But a few minutes ago Beatrice threw up again and this time it looked like she didn't have much in her stomach to begin with. T So now I'm at a loss about what to do. I have nearly 10 pounds of turkey that neither likes and which appears to make Beatrice throw up. She's never thrown up before yesterday.

Also, the turkey is the only raw food I have left. (And I have lots of it!) I think I'll go get canned and switch back to that briefly. If they are not going to eat the turkey, I need to go ahead and order more Hare Today. But it looks like chicken is the only thing they like, and everything I have read says to rotate protein sources.

@missmimz, if you have any advice I'd love to hear it!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I believe I've had a setback. I mixed up the turkey (10 pounds!) and neither one of them will eat it. Their first taste was night before last when I had just mixed it and they ate it. Yesterday, however, Beatrice threw hers all up. And ever since yesterday's breakfast they just walk away from it.  I wasn't sure what to do Beatrice throwing up--I'd hoped it was just a fluke. But a few minutes ago Beatrice threw up again and this time it looked like she didn't have much in her stomach to begin with. T So now I'm at a loss about what to do. I have nearly 10 pounds of turkey that neither likes and which appears to make Beatrice throw up. She's never thrown up before yesterday.

Also, the turkey is the only raw food I have left. (And I have lots of it!) I think I'll go get canned and switch back to that briefly. If they are not going to eat the turkey, I need to go ahead and order more Hare Today. But it looks like chicken is the only thing they like, and everything I have read says to rotate protein sources.

@missmimz, if you have any advice I'd love to hear it!
Well that's a bummer. I make small batches (2-3lbs at most) because this kind of thing can happen, so at least if you have a batch they wont eat or someone gets sick you can toss it without taking a huge loss. For now I'd probably just keep it in the freezer and maybe re-introduce it later. There's probably nothing wrong with the meat but something isn't agreeing with your kitty's tummy. It might be that either she ate too fast and threw it up. When i first introduced Rad Cat both of my cats threw up after eating and i freaked out and threw out a whole container. It turns out that i waited too long to feed them and they were just starving so they threw it up because their tummies were so hungry. Are you using toppers to help entice? Have you tried the beef yet? Yes def try some canned and maybe mixing some canned and a small amount turkey together in a couple of days and see if that helps. 

m and ms mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just placed my first order of Hare Today last night and did include turkey. So sorry to hear that one of yours is throwing up. One of my guys did initially vomit once with the Rad Cat but I was also leaving out a small amount of kibble at night too. I stopped the kibble and no more vomiting. Possibly he ate too fast, as well. I ordered a variety from HT of beef, chicken, turkey and rabbit, bone in and boneless, as well as ground organ and gizzards. Is there a specific recipe that I should use with my little ones? I have seen a few and do plan to mix the boneless with the bone, especially with the chicken and turkey, to avoid any constipation issues. . Here are my guys relaxing today [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beth0612

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to have not replied earlier--busy week! They are still hating the turkey. Alfie will eventually break down and eat it, but Beatrice will not touch it for the most part. I broke down and bought a bag of freeze-dried raw that I'm feeding Beatrice and I'm still making Alfie eat the turkey. Money is really tight right now, so it kills me to have a freezer full of food they don't like--I can't reorder from Hare Today just yet but Rad Cat is so expensive. I'm hoping I can make it through the turkey and get to order chicken again. 

Somebody—I suspect Beatrice—was having soft cow patty poop in the litter box again. I think Beatrice wasn't getting the full dose of probiotic because Alfie would finish her food, so that's why I'm feeding her the freeze dried, which she appears to like. I want to make sure the probiotic is getting consumed. 

I'm a little concerned because the only food they've taken to from Hare Today is the chicken. They hated the beef, and now the turkey. I know you're supposed to rotate types of meat, but chicken's the only thing left that's not super expensive. I'm going to try a little rabbit, but I don't want to order much since my little people appear to be super picky.

M and Ms Mom—your kittens are adorable!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The is so crazy that they like the chicken but not turkey! Picky little devils...How much turkey do you have left out of the 10lbs?

The ground Whole Carcass Rabbit is only $3.99lb, not much more than the chicken. And it's rare (at least on this forum) that a cat doesn't like rabbit. Also, the ground mutton (sheep) is only $3.99lb.

My cat Malibu doesn't tolerate red meat well so he can't eat the sheep but he and Kali devour the rabbit and Kali loves the sheep too.

My cats used to be pretty picky as well but the more variety I introduced, the less picky they have become, I believe.

One trick you can try next time is to mix one serving of the chicken batch with one serving of a new protein, such as the rabbit. The way, it is half and half. Then, over time, you can just serve the new protein 100% and see what happens

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like the HT turkey either. I have one cat that eats the boneless turkey but none of my other 8 that eat raw like the turkey/bones/organs. They like the whole ground rabbit ok, but they aren't in love.

Right now my cats prefer Rad cat/EZ complete, over HT meat/bones/organs. When I order from HT next I'm going to order all boneless to use with EZ. 

@beth0612  Have you thought about trying EZcomplete? You can only use it with boneless, and they don't offer samples, but they are having a promo right now where you can get a bag for 20% off. It's only good through Friday, I think.