Construction Noises - Looking For Ideas

kuanggol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an apartment and it's currently undergoing construction work. We have days where drilling noises go on all day (8-6) until June!!! I have ear plugs but feel sorry for my boy. It's very loud and he looks miserable, I don't know what I can do to help him. Any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You could try a fan, blowing in a non important direction so the extra airflow doesn't bother him, for white noise but don't have it on all the time, that could be irritating to him as well.

During quieter periods try MusicForCats . com, there's an app called Relax My Cat and there is also harp music that may help :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried to play the TV/radio/CDs for periods of time throughout the day? If you have timers, you can set them to whatever time lengths you want throughout the day.

Also, just to help out a bit, maybe get some cat calming products - Feliway is one, there is also Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear to help calm them. Not all of these products work on all cats, so you might have to experiment. Do an internet search on 'cat calming products' and see if there are some ones you might want to try.

And, you can buy chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store variety, German, and no additives), brew them and then cool the liquid and add 1-3 teaspoons to a bit of water to see if he will drink it (more if he is over 11 pounds). You can do that multiple times a day, if you have the chance. The tea has natural calming properties.

Lastly, if he tends to hide somewhere, you could look into insulating/sound barrier blankets and cover his favorite hide outs to at least mute some of the noise.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Run some Feliway, or Rescue Remedy to spritz in the room, or Jackson Galaxy's calming products..

Make a hiding spot for your cat in the quietest spot you can find..

Other than that, I do not know what else to do.. other than tranquilizers..

I had to go through this with a couple of cats.. it is maddening..
Good luck

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you could modify the interior and exterior of a cardboard box so that it would muffle sound. Do some research on the internet to see what materials would be needed. Im thinking of something like a dog house with heavy padding inside and out. It doesnt have to look good, its only for a month.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you could modify the interior and exterior of a cardboard box so that it would muffle sound. Do some research on the internet to see what materials would be needed. Im thinking of something like a dog house with heavy padding inside and out. It doesnt have to look good, its only for a month.
Here what you do... line the inside of the box or Kitty Cove with high density mattress memory foam... it works great to deaden and muffle the sound. Buy a mattress topper and cut it to fit the inside. Just make sure it's 'high density' foam.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here what you do... line the inside of the box or Kitty Cove with high density mattress memory foam... it works great to deaden and muffle the sound. Buy a mattress topper and cut it to fit the inside. Just make sure it's 'high density' foam.
I forgot to mention, the memory foam usually smells odd when it's new and first opened, but you can put the foam on the outside of the kitty cove... OR leave the foam out so it can breath for 4-5 days before lining the inside of the cove... the smell should be very reduced or gone by then. The sound will be more deadened if the foam is on the inside of the cove... no echo.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps you could take your cat carrier and put soft, comfy blankets or a plush fleece mat to make a little den for him where he will feel secure. You can also place towels or more blankets on the side and top of the carrier.
Good luck! :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuanggol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm leaning towards "chemical" (Feliway, chamomile tea, etc.) only because it's really bad. I can't drown out with white noise because the noise is similar to having a jackhammer outside the window. I have Surefire earplugs and the noise still comes through.
I can't do a cat cave because he freaks out at the sight of a box (or carrier), soft cushions and blankets. Makes me wonder if how he was rescued caused these fears.
Short of tranking him which I won't do, I guess we will have to suck it up. :( I give him more treats just to make up for being miserable all day. :blackcat2:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the noise is coming from a particular wall, like an outside wall you can hang heavy blankets or tapestries on the wall to help kill the sound. What they call moving blankets would work. It would help you both. They also make those sound absorbing panels, or even just foam squares that they use in sound studios to kill outside noise.
A second choice is to get a noise canceling device. This technology has been around for a while now and does work. A microphone listens for the noise and then the unit generates a sound that is the exact opposite wave so it cancels out the other one. A quick search shows that amazon carries several of these. This would not just be headphones but a whole room system. Here is an example.
Home Appliances – Silentium
I saw (heard) an industrial size version of this. A hydroelectric power plant near here used to give tours and in the main generating room they use a noise canceling system. The guide explained that the rumbling from the turbines generated such a loud noise that everyone had to constantly wear ear protection and it was difficult to work. Even yelling you couldn't hear above the noise. The sound canceling system worked so well that no one needed ear protection anymore and normal conversation, like his could take place. To hear the difference all you had to do was place your ear on the metal rail and then the thunder from the turbines came through. It really was amazing. On a small scale it would work for you but it might not be cheap.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
If much of the noise is coming from banging/drilling vibrations, NOTHING completely block it out. The memory foam cat cove is the best bet, providing the cat goes into it.

I sound proofed my bedroom window with high density memory foam and a piece of large sheet rock... at least 70% of the noise is gone. High and mid-range frequencies are easiest to block, low frequency (bass) is the most difficult. Lead sheeting is the best sound blocker there is, but it is very heavy and expensive.