construction and anxiety/fear

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are building a new house next door to mine. The process is about 2 weeks in and still will have many months to go. Ever since they've started my cat has been terrified. She hides under the bed in an anxious crouch pretty much the entire time they are working (which is all day). She will cry for me, but even petting her and holding her doesn't give enough comfort to truly put her at ease. After the first couple days I was hoping she would adjust/get used to it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And I really don't want her under so much stress and fear for months to come. There's nothing I can do to stop the construction--but what can I do to help her?

i've tried the Purina calming care and maybe it's doing something but it's not doing enough. I'm open to trying CBD treats, but would love some recommendations on ones people like. She tends not to like treats very much, but I could break them up in put them in her food. Open to any suggestion...I work part time from home, but I'm not home all day, so I also can't be here for her the full time construction is going on.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider setting one room aside in your house for her and cover the walls with noise blocking blankets, or sound proofing panels. A less expensive option would be to build her a large size 'cave' from cardboard and cover the outside with sound proofing material.

You could also try music to help drown out at least some of the construction noise. Perhaps even 'cat music', such as Alexa cat music, also Relax My Cat .com, Spotify, and David Teie’s Music for Cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blob99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks, I can definitely try to play sounds and create some sound proofing for her.

In addition to noise, there are vibrations in our house from the construction. And I suspect that might be the bigger issue. Thunder and fireworks have never bothered her. But I'm sure trying to reduce some noise will help, I don't think there's a way to reduce it entirely.