Constipation

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I posted here a while ago about my 1 yr old boy has been having trouble with constipation. He goes about every other day and I can tell it’s a little difficult.

Per the vet tech advice, I took away his dry food and have only been giving him wet the past few days mixed with extra water. Today he seemed to be having trouble, but when he finally went it was very soft and had a different odor. Should I reintroduce the dry again or do you think there’s another issue? Behavior, eating and everything else is normal.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is most probably the change in food that has caused the soft stools. Try mixing the dry with the wet, gradually increasing wet over say 7/10 days to transition to all wet. Fibre will help constipation so you could add a pinch of psyllium to his food twice a day and try to increase the amount of water intake.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not add back dry in just yet. You could try adding in some plain canned pumpkin puree to wet food to increase his fiber intake.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding water to food doesn’t work. The extra water is simply cleared by the kidneys. Try Miralax or pumpkin which bind the water and make sure it remains in the stools the whole way through. Egg yolk also has a laxative effect. You could try adding a bit of egg yolk powder to his food as well.