constipation or normal?

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most days, my 10 year old girl goes poop once over night and has a "normal for her" eating pattern. But some days I'll notice her over night poop is a bit small and on those days she'll be more fussy about eating and usually eat a bit less. She'll go poop later in the day and it'll be slightly larger than normal and then her appetite will return and she's no longer fussy about eating.

I have cameras on the litter box so I know what she is doing. I've don't see her strain. She normally goes in and does her business and is out in less than 2 minutes, depending on how much she wants to cover it. Sometimes she'll sit outside her litter box for a few minutes and then go into her box and do her normal poop and is done. She never makes trips to go into the box and doesn't produce. She never makes a sound. Seems like normal pooping to me.

Her poops are not rock hard, firm but slightly pliable -- normal for her. She drinks a lot of water. Her diet is an RX kibble for UTI. The formula and ingredients were recently changed and she's only been on the new formula for 3 weeks. I don't observe any difference in the firmness of her poops before or after the formula change. I would say since she's been on the RX kibble this has been happening a bit more but I only have 3 weeks of data.

I think this is just normal cat stuff but just wanted to throw this out in case. I've seen her before with constipation a few months ago when she was on an all wet food diet (wet food does not do her well...instant UTI problems and constipation). This is nothing like that nightmare...this seems normal. But I just wanted a second opinion :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she sits outside the box is because she needs to go but can't? Maggie goes a big stool every other night so probably small ones other days. Did she have struitive crystals? My cat did,was on wet prescription food,now gone and eats whatever canned she wants

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if she sits outside the box is because she needs to go but can't? Maggie goes a big stool every other night so probably small ones other days. Did she have struitive crystals? My cat did,was on wet prescription food,now gone and eats whatever canned she wants
When she sits outside she hasn't even tried to go. It's like she's just letting it build up or something. I've never see her try and be unable to go and then sit. It's walk near the box, sit, then step inside and immediately go.

Yes, she had struitive crystals when she was off the RX food. She's on an RX kibble diet which keeps those at bay. She does not like canned food much and it makes her constipated.