Constipation or diarrhoea?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my cat with kidney disease pooped three times in a day. One at midnight and two in the morning at different times.
The first two were the one shown in the first picture and the second one is shown in the second picture.
Could someone with a similar experience or knowledge tell me what is going on?
It happened a few days back as well and the vet asked me to give flagyl and novidat with wet wood which i did and her diarrhoea was gone after that.
But it is now back again

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have similar experience but am curious why your vet gave your cat two different antibiotics at the same time. While it might have helped initially, antibiotics are also notorious for causing diarrhea, not to mention digestive distress. Or it could be that the duration of the antibiotics was not long enough to knock out the suspected bacteria. Was there a full fecal PCR test run to see if the bacteria could be identified, or if it by chance it is due to a viral condition?

You might try s.boulardii, which is a probiotic many folks use when their cats have diarrhea. Because it is yeast based, it isn't impacted by antibiotics as other probiotics are, so if your cat needs more antibiotics this would be a good product to use in conjunction with one as well.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

Not sure if this has anything to do with your cat's kidney disease, but since you mentioned it, maybe you have some reasons for thinking it does? It seems most cats with kidney disease tend to have constipation more so than diarrhea. I don't think the pics are necessarily indicative of constipation or diarrhea. Drier stools can be related to water intake/food type, as can looser stools.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have similar experience but am curious why your vet gave your cat two different antibiotics at the same time. While it might have helped initially, antibiotics are also notorious for causing diarrhea, not to mention digestive distress. Or it could be that the duration of the antibiotics was not long enough to knock out the suspected bacteria. Was there a full fecal PCR test run to see if the bacteria could be identified, or if it by chance it is due to a viral condition?

You might try s.boulardii, which is a probiotic many folks use when their cats have diarrhea. Because it is yeast based, it isn't impacted by antibiotics as other probiotics are, so if your cat needs more antibiotics this would be a good product to use in conjunction with one as well.
The benefits of using S. Boulardii for cats– FullBucket Health

Not sure if this has anything to do with your cat's kidney disease, but since you mentioned it, maybe you have some reasons for thinking it does? It seems most cats with kidney disease tend to have constipation more so than diarrhea. I don't think the pics are necessarily indicative of constipation or diarrhea. Drier stools can be related to water intake/food type, as can looser stools.
I myself don’t know why the vet gave her the antibiotics for 5 days because he did not examine her. I talked to him on the phone and he asked me for the pictures. Of course, I told him about my observations.
I don’t know if this has anything to do with the extremely hot weather