constipation ? - multiple poop trips in short period of time

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is something my cat has started doing since adjusting the litter box situation to try and make life easier on her. I have cameras so this is what I'm seeing on them. She's almost 11.

When she poops, it's about the same amount per day and at the same schedule. However sometimes she is doing it in two smaller poops/trips in a short period of time, like 5 minutes. Normally what I'll see is she'll walk into the litter box and within 2 minutes be done with a poop. She'll go eat and then return (so 5 minute pause) and within another 2 minutes be done with a poop. Other times she will poop, cover, leave, then just return a short while later after doing whatever cat business she was doing (not hiding). Both poops are normally smaller but sometimes one can be a good size. She's not straining as far as I can tell. No vocalization. I've never seen her not produce when she gets into position.

She doesn't always do this, just sometimes. Maybe it just depends on what's "ready to go" ? Her routine seems to be for a few pushes followed by a butt wiggle and that's that.

I mentioned this to the vet a week ago and she didn't say anything. However with my cat's many issues around eating and taking medicine it's not like we could have done something diet or medicine related if it was constipation. Those things are not an option for my cat unless its dire circumstances.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like constipation to me if she's keeping everything moving, but I'm not a vet and my experience is limited to Miss Megacolon Daisy and her irregular schedule. Would it be worth ringing the clinic to ask if the vet could call back, as she might have overlooked it if it was in the middle of a broader consult?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like constipation to me if she's keeping everything moving, but I'm not a vet and my experience is limited to Miss Megacolon Daisy and her irregular schedule. Would it be worth ringing the clinic to ask if the vet could call back, as she might have overlooked it if it was in the middle of a broader consult?
The visit was actually about constipation. She just didn’t say anything regarding this behavior. During the exam, she did feel some stool in the colon but it wasn’t something that was unpassable and sure enough as soon as we got home, the cat went poop. The vet did not say anything regarding if the cat was constipated.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Doesn't sound like she's concerned about the frequency, then. Both mine have anything but the 24 hour cycle we're told is the norm (Phoebe's twice a day, Daisy can be anything from 9 hours apart to 58 hours apart - but not straining or showing any inclination to go until she's good and ready.)