Constipated

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 15 year old male cat has been constipated for a week and lost alot of wait in a short time and the vet said he may have Inflammatory bowel disease he put him on prednsone i asked if i can give him miralax he said yes but the amount i gave dont seem to help would it be ok to give him some every few hours in a syringe by mouth its braking my heart so bad :(

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry. I know very well the constipation illness. I gave my cat hairball gel and it took about a day to work. Then she’d be constipated for 2 days and I’d give the gel. Finally I gave her cat grass and since then she’s been regular. Not sure when you gave it to your cat. But too much might cause diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry. I know very well the constipation illness. I gave my cat hairball gel and it took about a day to work. Then she’d be constipated for 2 days and I’d give the gel. Finally I gave her cat grass and since then she’s been regular. Not sure when you gave it to your cat. But too much might cause diarrhea.
thankyou so much for your reply i also been giveing him petroleum jelly i read that helps but its been 2 days has not went yet i guss i should be patient i hope he gos soon :(

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, it’s really agonizing knowing your cat can’t have a bowel movement. I never thought I’d be so obsessed with cat poop but here I am.

2 days and still no movement. Hopefully he’s drinking water. I did do Sub Q for about 3 weeks too. That helped to rehydrate the digestive tract. But when I took her in, the vet did an IV as an emergency. My cat had lost weight too.

Did your vet offer IV?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you giving the Miralax correctly? The powder needs to be dissolved in water before ingesting. The vet will tell you how much to give, usually no more than 1/2 teaspoon twice a day max. A tablespoon or two of water is enough but you can use a little more. It's best to dissolve the Miralax in a bowl and then add some canned food to it and mix it together and let the cat eat it. If the cat isn't eating, then syringe the dissolved Miralax into the cat.

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou so much for your reply i also been giveing him petroleum jelly i read that helps but its been 2 days has not went yet i guss i should be patient i hope he gos soon :(
Sorry, it’s really agonizing knowing your cat can’t have a bowel movement. I never thought I’d be so obsessed with cat poop but here I am.

2 days and still no movement. Hopefully he’s drinking water. I did do Sub Q for about 3 weeks too. That helped to rehydrate the digestive tract. But when I took her in, the vet did an IV as an emergency. My cat had lost weight too.

Did your vet offer IV?
what is IV my vet gave me prednsone said it may be
Inflammatory bowel disease but what is a subQ

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

also how long was she constipated for

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you giving the Miralax correctly? The powder needs to be dissolved in water before ingesting. The vet will tell you how much to give, usually no more than 1/2 teaspoon twice a day max. A tablespoon or two of water is enough but you can use a little more. It's best to dissolve the Miralax in a bowl and then add some canned food to it and mix it together and let the cat eat it. If the cat isn't eating, then syringe the dissolved Miralax into the cat.
thankyou i was useing a syringe mixing it with water and put it in his food he sometimes will not eat it if i have it in his food but i also put extra water in it and the miralax and he was eating some of it but not all of it

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thankyou i was useing a syringe mixing it with water and put it in his food he sometimes will not eat it if i have it in his food but i also put extra water in it and the miralax and he was eating some of it but not all of it
i started giveing him pumpkin also with his food i been doing these things for only 2 days do you know how long it should take before all that starts working

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax IME works slowly, to combat the cramps/pain associated with harsh laxatives that make a person (or cat) go from "nah, bruh, I'm good" to rushing to the bathroom or litterbox with the unloading process already in full swing (so to speak!!)
Keep in close contact with your vet. Tell them that you've been giving miralax for x amount of days, the cat hasn't "gone" to the toilet in "x" amount of days and he's 15 and does he need to be seen?
We had a cat severely constipated and I believe it took twice daily doses over a period of 72 hours before he produced. When he did, it smelled like an elephant with dysentery unloaded in the box, so have your nose clips handy, but he sure acted like he felt better!!! =)
If he doesn't produce tonight, call your vet first thing in the morning. Be respectful of course but remember you hired them and they work for you, not the other way around.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, it goes without saying but I'll throw it in anyway..
don't over feed and don't feed huge meals. Feed very small meals throughout the day if possible. If you work 9-5, feed a meal before you leave, one immediately you come home, and another right before bed. The goal is to get bowels moving and that can happen easier with little-and-often meals vs. one or two large meals hitting the stomach like a brick. If you're home most of the day, a few teaspoons at a time every 3-4 hours (or 2-3!) can be helpful to slowly move things along.
Hoping you have good news in the morning or sometime tomorrow. Welcome to the cat elite; where we're always happy to see a cat pooping regular :wink::wave3:

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miralax IME works slowly, to combat the cramps/pain associated with harsh laxatives that make a person (or cat) go from "nah, bruh, I'm good" to rushing to the bathroom or litterbox with the unloading process already in full swing (so to speak!!)
Keep in close contact with your vet. Tell them that you've been giving miralax for x amount of days, the cat hasn't "gone" to the toilet in "x" amount of days and he's 15 and does he need to be seen?
We had a cat severely constipated and I believe it took twice daily doses over a period of 72 hours before he produced. When he did, it smelled like an elephant with dysentery unloaded in the box, so have your nose clips handy, but he sure acted like he felt better!!! =)
If he doesn't produce tonight, call your vet first thing in the morning. Be respectful of course but remember you hired them and they work for you, not the other way around.
thankyou

theresa1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, it goes without saying but I'll throw it in anyway..
don't over feed and don't feed huge meals. Feed very small meals throughout the day if possible. If you work 9-5, feed a meal before you leave, one immediately you come home, and another right before bed. The goal is to get bowels moving and that can happen easier with little-and-often meals vs. one or two large meals hitting the stomach like a brick. If you're home most of the day, a few teaspoons at a time every 3-4 hours (or 2-3!) can be helpful to slowly move things along.
Hoping you have good news in the morning or sometime tomorrow. Welcome to the cat elite; where we're always happy to see a cat pooping regular :wink::wave3:
thankyou so much

Clearcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 Bruce 1 is right. Small meals. That’s what I do. And I add water to the wet food. It started in January and now it’s May, a long process. My cat didn’t get regular overnight. She only had one bad episode of constipation. Lasted about 5 days. That’s when I knew something was wrong. She had lost weight and vet said she was dehydrated. So he gave her fluids and gave me kit to take home. Rehydration helped with constipation. Hope the miralax works! Fingers crossed and

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vets can also either do an enema and flush out his stool, or use a stool softener. Is there a reason that the vet didn't do an enema?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IV is intravenous. A needle is inserted directly into a vein to give medicine of fluids. Like Human patients in a hospital are often hooked up to a hanging bag of fluids and the fluid flows through tubes into needle that has been inserted in the arm.

Sub q is short for subcutaneous. It is a way of injecting medicine and fluids. The needle is inserted just below the skin.

I found this thread that also explains the difference between IV and sub q: Difference between SubQ and IV??

I wouldn't let a cat go more than 2 days without pooping. When things get backed up in there, a cat really feels uncomfortable and it may lead to other health issues as the body is unable to get the waste out. A vet can do an enema to remove the poop that is stuck.

Constipation isn't typical of IBD. Diarrhea is, though, as is vomiting. Why does the vet think your cat has IBD? Were any tests done? Ultrasound and biopsy are the two that vets use to diagnose IBD.

Here is info on IBD:

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time
Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Constipation isn't typical of IBD. Diarrhea is, though, as is vomiting. Why does the vet think your cat has IBD? Were any tests done? Ultrasound and biopsy are the two that vets use to diagnose IBD.
This is where we're at too. We did not do ultrasound/biopsy, but our guy has more constipation problems that sometimes off-set with diarrhea. Our vet has treated it as IBD with diet and meds if needed.